OT: Refrigerators

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
We inherited an older LG fridge (black finish) when we bought our house 5 years ago. No problems.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Exactly what a repairman in Texas told us about our lovely "vintage" 1997 Kenmore top-load washer. He said keep it as long as they make parts for it.

The appliance repair-man telling you to stick with the 25 year old washer after you call him out must be related to the dentist that gives my kids candy after they get their fillings.**

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If you get an LG, do not make the mistake of signing up for their monthly usage reports if you love your wife and kids. Once you learn how much they open the refrigerator you might not feel the same about them going forward... I know I don't.. 48 times a day, really?

Screenshot_20230126-143044~2.png

Special shout out to goat holder... 164 plastic water bottles we saved last month by drinking fridge water filtered through the most likely toxic Chinese made water filter.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
The appliance repair-man telling you to stick with the 25 year old washer after you call him out must be related to the dentist that gives my kids candy after they get their fillings.**
You're right, if he's coming often, the appliance is either a lemon or he's trying to probe the wife's fallopian tubes. But in this particular case, we hadn't had a problem with the washer in years.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

LexSCDOG

Aug 5, 2014
This is such a timely topic. All I have heard (from three repairman and two co-workers) is to avoid any LG or Samsung fridges. You might get very lucky and have one that works, but heaven forbid you have a problem with them.

I'm looking at Maytag, Whirlpool, GE, and KitchenAid.
Had a GE profile, died after 12 yrs. Bought top of the line whirlpool, died in 11 months, got an LG low end(the more bells and whistles the more items to repair. going on 3 yrs no issue. Got the old GE top freezer always been the 2nd fridge going strong after 16 yrs. Bought a GE garage rated fridge a couple of yrs ago, works like a champ.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I love our Bosch dishwasher. If It isn't loading or draining water the only way I know it is running is by the red light it shines on the floor.
We have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher, and it does a very good job, has been reliable, and is quiet. But when it goes I'll probably get a top-of-the-line Bosch just to have something even quieter. Always go for stainless steel interior instead of plastic. In the past, we've had a Frigidaire dishwasher and it sounded like freight train.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Begrudgingly have to replace my old one. Who is making the best and the worst these days.
I’m a firm No to Samsung.
My 2 favorite TVs are Samsung and our refrigerator was 15 years old when I got tired of defrosting the back every couple of months and the wife wanted a bottom freezer model. So naturally we got a Samsung, I’m a tech nerd so we got the smart fridge that was on sale. Two weeks after it was delivered a thread on SPS started that everyone complained about the ice maker. I was hoping it wasn’t going to happen to me. After the warranty went out the ice maker started freezing up. I reached out Samsung and they said because it was a known issue they would pay to fix it. Had it done and 3 months later had to have it done again. About this time the touch screen stopped working. They of course said it was not covered. Then I had to replace my router and as a result I couldn’t adjust my fridge on the app because of a new wifi connection, which I couldn’t tie to the router because the touchscreen didn’t work and I couldn’t adjust it on the fridge, because the touchscreen didn’t work. For some reason the freezer decided it was time to make ice cream an impenetrable block of dessert that even the best scoop couldn’t chip. But I couldn’t adjust the temp. A couple of months later the ice maker goes again and I posted a review on Lowe’s and reached out to Samsung on Twitter. They looked into it and said they would continue to replace the ice maker for the life of the refrigerator but they were not going to replace the screen and left me no options to control the settings. I had some friends with a lot of Twitter followers RT my response which I was respectful and I understood that it was out of warranty, but I’d never buy another Samsung product again. They actually reached out, gave me full store credit to buy any fridge I wanted. I was relieved, because I really like Samsung TVs and didn’t want to close that door. So Samsung TV A+ Fridge F- Customer Service solid A

Reactions: dawgman42

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
My wife and I got married in 1989. My parents and her parents went in together and bought us a matched pair of Maytag washer and dryer as a wedding present. The washer is still in our laundry room, we’re on our third or fourth dryer. To the best of my knowledge the washer hasn’t had a single screw turned on it.

Reactions: was21

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
We are remodeling an older home for retirement and the wife wants Thermador or Subzero/Wolf appliances. The wait time on both is at least 8 months to over a year.
Worth it though. I have a Wolf 42" grill and it is awesome. We don't need to ever go to a steakhouse anymore since I've been practicing how to make one at the house. Seriously. Last time we went to one, I asked my wife whether she would rather eat my steak or one from the restaurant we were at and she said she liked filet, but I only cook ribeye, so she preferred that cut of meat but she liked my flavor better. You can have great equipment but screw it up, but you can't make a truly great steak with inferior equipment so it took a little bit of practice but I've gotten it down.

I intend on redoing my kitchen and want a Wolf cooktop with a double griddle, a double oven to replace my current double oven, coffee maker for the wife and a Cove dishwasher. I currently have a Bosch and will agree with everyone here that it is very quiet. My wife has actually gotten sprayed because she opened it while it was running because she didn't see the red light. I think I have done that too. I intend on getting the microwave, built in coffee machine, and oven before we remodel (probably in the next year or so I hope) and in a few years I want to get a Subzero Pro 48, but that will take a little while I think. I will have to convince the wife I'm sure.

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Bosch owns Thermador and Miele. The wife is leaning towardsThermador cooktop because of the btu's they put out. I'm leaning Subzero on the fridge but a buddy of mine just built a house close to our farm. They went all Thermador and the wife is leaning that way over Wolf. One thing going for Thermador is the extras they throw in. My bud did the fridge, cooktop and double oven so they gave him a choice on extras. She got 2 dishwashers and the vent hood.

Reactions: MSUDAWGFAN

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’m a firm No to Samsung.
My 2 favorite TVs are Samsung and our refrigerator was 15 years old when I got tired of defrosting the back every couple of months and the wife wanted a bottom freezer model. So naturally we got a Samsung, I’m a tech nerd so we got the smart fridge that was on sale. Two weeks after it was delivered a thread on SPS started that everyone complained about the ice maker. I was hoping it wasn’t going to happen to me. After the warranty went out the ice maker started freezing up. I reached out Samsung and they said because it was a known issue they would pay to fix it. Had it done and 3 months later had to have it done again. About this time the touch screen stopped working. They of course said it was not covered. Then I had to replace my router and as a result I couldn’t adjust my fridge on the app because of a new wifi connection, which I couldn’t tie to the router because the touchscreen didn’t work and I couldn’t adjust it on the fridge, because the touchscreen didn’t work. For some reason the freezer decided it was time to make ice cream an impenetrable block of dessert that even the best scoop couldn’t chip. But I couldn’t adjust the temp. A couple of months later the ice maker goes again and I posted a review on Lowe’s and reached out to Samsung on Twitter. They looked into it and said they would continue to replace the ice maker for the life of the refrigerator but they were not going to replace the screen and left me no options to control the settings. I had some friends with a lot of Twitter followers RT my response which I was respectful and I understood that it was out of warranty, but I’d never buy another Samsung product again. They actually reached out, gave me full store credit to buy any fridge I wanted. I was relieved, because I really like Samsung TVs and didn’t want to close that door. So Samsung TV A+ Fridge F- Customer Service solid A
My take on all the gadgets and features on the most modern refrigerators is this. A refrigerator has one job, keep food cool. When you try to make it more complicated than it is, you're asking for problems. That goes for ice dispensers too. It's just as easy to reach in the freezer and get the ice yourself and you'll have a lot less problems.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My take on all the gadgets and features on the most modern refrigerators is this. A refrigerator has one job, keep food cool. When you try to make it more complicated than it is, you're asking for problems. That goes for ice dispensers too. It's just as easy to reach in the freezer and get the ice yourself and you'll have a lot less problems.
I went with the cheapest, 'decent' Whirlpool. Around $1,000. Two vertical doors, ice-maker, water. Simple. And it lasts.

Those super nice ones are always 17ing up. Simple is the way to go, for all appliances. Just get the simplest (and again, 'decent') one and roll. Usually if you buy stainless, you'll know you're in that 'decent' category. Can't have that white/black 1978 crap. That's for deer meat in the garage.

Reactions: patdog
Aug 15, 2011
There are various repair guys on Youtube that give their thoughts on refrigerators. Like above, they say to stay away from Samsung and LG. Apparently GE still makes some in the US, and they said check the sticker inside the fridge that will give the place of manufacture. I had an LG for 8 years and the compressor went out. It was not salvageable, and the repair guy told me to stick with Frigidaire, Whirlpool, and GE since parts are usually available. I went with the Frigidaire and have had no problems with it.

Reactions: patdog

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
Just bought a new Kitchenaid refrigerator (upgrade) to replace our old Kitchenaid.

the old refrigerator is 25 years old and still working. (Hope the new one is as good as the old one)

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I don’t care what CR recommends, every LG appliance my sister has owned gave them problems within a couple of years. I’m not buying an appliance made by an electronics company. CR also recommends front load washers even though the residential models are all garbage.
My front load washer has given us no problems in the 12 years we’ve owned it.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
How does one measure the energy efficiency of their appliances?
My power company gives me a report on this monthly. I know which rooms and appliances consume the most energy anlong with a $ breakdown of each. (My house was built in 2020)

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
My power company gives me a report on this monthly. I know which rooms and appliances consume the most energy anlong with a $ breakdown of each. (My house was built in 2020)
Wow. Each room has a breakdown? That’s amazing and creepy.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
This is such a timely topic. All I have heard (from three repairman and two co-workers) is to avoid any LG or Samsung fridges. You might get very lucky and have one that works, but heaven forbid you have a problem with them.

I'm looking at Maytag, Whirlpool, GE, and KitchenAid.
i can t speak on refrigerators but i would stay away from anything from LG. in 2010 we walled in our 2 car garage to make an extra entertainment area. i paid $2,000 for a supposed state of the art AC. it was like a window unit except it was flat and went on the wall. it weighed maybe 20 lbs at the most. LG even had different pictures you could buy to cover it up so no one could see it. stopped working about 7 months later and it WAS so state of the art that know one knew how to fix it, anywhere. so after that i am most definitely NOT a fan of LG.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Well we bought a Whirlpool 4-door , counter depth unit from Best Buy. About $2,100 with tax and other BS they end up tagging on. Main thing right now is wifey is happy.....now we'll see how long the happiness and the refrigerator will last. Thanks for everybody's advice.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Back in the day, I would have said "Kenmore" --only because you'd have to intentionally destroy their private labeled units
Whirlpool made Kenmore and that's what we bought for years too. We tried a Samsung and I had to repair it several times before hauling the junk from my Kitchen. Now Maytag is owned by Whirlpool so we went with a Whirlpool to replace the old fridge. The main thing I love about the new refrigerator is the size of the ice maker. The Samsung was so small when we had a party ice was gone in the middle of the party. With the Whirlpool party on!

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
LOL Wife recently went against all the customer "reviews" claiming Bosch dishwashers were unbearably noisy and bought one anyway. Literally the quietest appliance we've ever owned.
Our Bosch dishwasher is quiet, actually has "SilentPLUS" on it, whatever that means. Great brand though.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
My wife and I got married in 1989. My parents and her parents went in together and bought us a matched pair of Maytag washer and dryer as a wedding present. The washer is still in our laundry room, we’re on our third or fourth dryer. To the best of my knowledge the washer hasn’t had a single screw turned on it.
1675277619670.png

• Haha

patdog

May 28, 2007
Whirlpool made Kenmore and that's what we bought for years too. We tried a Samsung and I had to repair it several times before hauling the junk from my Kitchen. Now Maytag is owned by Whirlpool so we went with a Whirlpool to replace the old fridge. The main thing I love about the new refrigerator is the size of the ice maker. The Samsung was so small when we had a party ice was gone in the middle of the party. With the Whirlpool party on!
I think the difference between Kenmore back in the day and Kenmore now is Kenmore used to get Whirlpool's top of the line models. But a decade or so ago, it flipped and Whirlpool started putting their own name on the best appliances and giving Kenmore the lower-grade models.

Nov 6, 2015
Guys,
I'm gonna expose my virginity here, so please be gentle. I am a Many year lurker.
Refrigerators. ...
Best purchase ever is LG French door that makes Huge Craft Ice Balls that is fantastic for all the avid bourbon / Whiskey Drinkers on here. Best thing ever. ice is crystal clear and about the size of a golf ball.
Did have one issue where craft ice stopped making, and I called LG and downloaded their app and we fixed that B***h right over the phone.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

Same with our Bosch Dishwasher. I've only had one problem with it. The impeller came apart. I though about replacing the pump and priced them. I took it out and JB welded it back together and threw it back in the dishwasher and it has been running fine since. That happened about 3 years ago. The Dishwasher is about 14 years old. Best dishwasher we've ever had but also the most expensive we've ever had.

I researched their refrigerators and the ratings by owners was not so good so I went with Whirlpool.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Well we bought a Whirlpool 4-door , counter depth unit from Best Buy. About $2,100 with tax and other BS they end up tagging on. Main thing right now is wifey is happy.....now we'll see how long the happiness and the refrigerator will last. Thanks for everybody's advice.

We went French-door fridge shopping last weekend. That included stopping by the Nebraska Furniture Mart in The Colony, TX, followed by the huge Lowe's Outlet in Irving, TX, where we could open and look at everything almost side-by-side. After looking at the shelving, ice, water, filter and locations, bin sizes, freezer compartments, etc., I think Whirlpool is at the top of our list. Plus, the price is where I want it to be (roughly). The wife liked the Kitchenaid a lot (especially with the auto/soft-close middle drawers on the outside), but the extra price didn't justify the utility.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I went with the cheapest, 'decent' Whirlpool. Around $1,000. Two vertical doors, ice-maker, water. Simple. And it lasts.

Those super nice ones are always 17ing up. Simple is the way to go, for all appliances. Just get the simplest (and again, 'decent') one and roll. Usually if you buy stainless, you'll know you're in that 'decent' category. Can't have that white/black 1978 crap. That's for deer meat in the garage.
Main thing I look for is how they utilize the space inside. The super nice ones tend to have this monstrosity of an ice maker hogging all the room in the fridge.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Stay away from Samsung and you'll be ok. Parts for Whirlpool/Maytag and GE are readily available so your down time won't be very long when it inevitably craps out

Maytag , whirlpool and kitchenaide are all whirlpool. Just a FYI
I think Jenn-Air is also a Whirlpool unit

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Guys,
I'm gonna expose my virginity here, so please be gentle. I am a Many year lurker.
Refrigerators. ...
Best purchase ever is LG French door that makes Huge Craft Ice Balls that is fantastic for all the avid bourbon / Whiskey Drinkers on here. Best thing ever. ice is crystal clear and about the size of a golf ball.
Did have one issue where craft ice stopped making, and I called LG and downloaded their app and we fixed that B***h right over the phone.
Some of us would rather do it ourselves or call the guy that's been ripping us off for 20 years fixing our appliances than doing all that downloading app stuff. Just saying.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I have a 20 year old Whirlpool SxS that works like a champ. I suspect the quality of a new one though would be much less.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login