OT: Rings of Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2013
This 3rd episode was the best yet. I’m please with the series so far, the orcs look great, and looks like Sauron might make his first appearance next episode. Can’t wait for that.

Also, elendil and isildur were introduced. When I saw isildur, all I could think was Elrond screaming “cast it into the fire!!”

Sep 12, 2013
Pretty good so far. The elf chick actress is pretty hot.

The actress is easy on the eyes. Galadriel is a beast, she ends up with a ring of power. Can’t remember which one. Of course, the rings don’t work on elves or dwarves. Just GrEeDy MeN. Lol

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Nerds, I’ve been watching high school and college football. UCF vs. Louisville has been a good game. Y’all should check it out.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Watching that now. Watched the rings of power earlier. Nerd and a sports fan. Whatdaya know.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
As a LONG time reader of the BOOKS, Tolkien will return to haunt the makers of this rubbish. Galadriel, or any other Elven Woman, as a warrior is totally contrary to the spirit of the books. I made it about 5 minutes before turning it off in total revulsion. Woke Tolkien.........God Help Us All. I tolerated the LOTR movies, barely. The Hobbit movies sucked. THIS is total garbage.

Sep 12, 2013
As a LONG time reader of the BOOKS, Tolkien will return to haunt the makers of this rubbish. Galadriel, or any other Elven Woman, as a warrior is totally contrary to the spirit of the books. I made it about 5 minutes before turning it off in total revulsion. Woke Tolkien.........God Help Us All. I tolerated the LOTR movies, barely. The Hobbit movies sucked. THIS is total garbage.

Wow if you didn’t like the LOTRs trilogy, you’re not gonna be happy no matter what. That’s incredible.

Tolkien himself called Galadriel the mightiest elf alive in middle earth. What do you even mean?

ETA: I’ll give you the hobbit movies. They were flaming garbage.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2013
Watching that now. Watched the rings of power earlier. Nerd and a sports fan. Whatdaya know.
The works of Tolkien is something that has to be appreciated. Guy was a genius.

And I’m currently flipping back and forth between UCF/UL and the Chris parson highschool game

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I don't really care. It's fantasy anyway.. Doesn't matter if they they change it up. I'm liking the story and mixing things up and seeing all these different characters and lands. I'm just glad it's being explored. I don't like woke either but it's fantasy anyway so lighten up Francis.

Sep 12, 2013
I don't really care. It's fantasy anyway.. Doesn't matter if they they change it up. I'm liking the story and mixing things up and seeing all these different characters and lands. I'm just glad it's being explored. I don't like woke either but it's fantasy anyway so lighten up Francis.

It’s really not that “woke”. They stuck a few black characters in a world that is mostly white I guess. But a black elf, black hobbit, black dwarf, I really don’t give a **** about that, nor should anyone else.

The mystery character being Gandalf isn’t right according to the books, he’s not around during this time. But that’s not a big deal to me either.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Wow if you didn’t like the LOTRs trilogy, you’re not gonna be happy no matter what. That’s incredible.

Tolkien himself called Galadriel the mightiest elf alive in middle earth. What do you even mean?

I LOVE the trilogy, as in the BOOKS. The LOTR movies were barely tolerable from my perspective. I discovered Tolkien in the late 1970s. I take it you never paid much attention to the books. Galadriel was indeed mighty, but she was not warrior.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

I prefer something that is using the name to at least stick somewhat close to the actual stories. Galadriel climbing mountains in pursuit of Sauron is just a farce. It mocks Tolkien, intentionally. Woke women can do anything men can do total crap.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
It’s really not that “woke”. They stuck a few black characters in a world that is mostly white I guess. But a black elf, black hobbit, black dwarf, I really don’t give a **** about that, nor should anyone else.

The mystery character being Gandalf isn’t right according to the books, he’s not around during this time. But that’s not a big deal to me either.

I never mentioned race, it's more to do with gender roles. Galadriel was NOT a warrior queen.

Sep 12, 2013
I never mentioned race, it's more to do with gender roles. Galadriel was NOT a warrior queen.
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. I just don’t see it as that big of a deal.

Galadriel played a big role in Tolkiens works. Buffing her fighting skills in the show, I just don’t care.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. I just don’t see it as that big of a deal.

Galadriel played a big role in Tolkiens works. Buffing her fighting skills in the show, I just don’t care.
She NEVER physically fought in the books. That is a HUGE and deal breaking thing for me. The stuff they did with Arwen in the first movie nearly kept me from watching the rest of the LOTR movies. I have read the LOTR about once per year since the 1970s. There was NO need to do what they did in order to make spectacular movies, except to mock Tolkien and his world view.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Saw some pretty dumb outrage over this. I think people just like using woke as a catch all for things they don’t like. It’s not like they’re giving they’re damn pronouns before battles. Tolkien ain’t rolling over in anything probably would happy his works are still being used for entertainment.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

You are oversimplifying a little bit. They have taken the stories from other works than LOTR series or hobbits and created something that actually never happened. They completely ignored the writings themselves and then told us what they were doing was going by the books. They have tried to recreate several character from the beginning of LOTR like a female Sam and Frodo. It's boring too. The writing of the show is awful for every character's dialog but especially for Guy-drelle. Her character is an abomination of what that character was in the books. If you really read any of them you would know that. I still want somebody to show me how 110 pound woman can perfectly swing around a heavy sword while doing gymnastic/martial arts moves with the ease of an on Olympic diver.

The best acting performance came from the supposed "first" woman of the dwarves on film. She was the most interesting character so far which is so sad.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Saw some pretty dumb outrage over this. I think people just like using woke as a catch all for things they don’t like. It’s not like they’re giving they’re damn pronouns before battles. Tolkien ain’t rolling over in anything probably would happy his works are still being used for entertainment.
Nope, rolling in his grave. What they have done is gone against some of the fundamental principles of the world he created. I'm a purist right down to the dialogue. Going against something so basic was always going to turn me against it. HOLLYWOOD rules us all I guess. I REFUSE. I'll stick with the original as written.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
You are oversimplifying a little bit. They have taken the stories from other works than LOTR series or hobbits and created something that actually never happened. They completely ignored the writings themselves and then told us what they were doing was going by the books. They have tried to recreate several character from the beginning of LOTR like a female Sam and Frodo. It's boring too. The writing of the show is awful for every character's dialog but especially for Guy-drelle. Her character is an abomination of what that character was in the books. If you really read any of them you would know that. I still want somebody to show me how 110 pound woman can perfectly swing around a heavy sword while doing gymnastic/martial arts moves with the ease of an on Olympic diver.

The best acting performance came from the supposed "first" woman of the dwarves on film. She was the most interesting character so far which is so sad.
EXACTLY. This actually has little or nothing to do with the name its being pushed under. It's a TOTAL travesty.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

If you think the criticism is all because of black actors then you know nothing of the source material. it's not what color everyone is it is the fact the took the lore tossed it out the window and made good stories a heaping pile of crap.

I'm sick of people using the woke movement detractors to defend as the reason why their crap shows and movies fail. The best performance of the new Rings show was the black lady dwarf but she was a little blip.

The new GOT show is interesting so far and has black actors. I'm just am waiting to see if the cast and writing is as good as the original GOT episodes seasons 1-6.

Sep 12, 2013
If you think the criticism is all because of black actors then you know nothing of the source material. it's not what color everyone is it is the fact the took the lore tossed it out the window and made good stories a heaping pile of crap.

I'm sick of people using the woke movement detractors to defend as the reason why their crap shows and movies fail. The best performance of the new Rings show was the black lady dwarf but she was a little blip.

The new GOT show is interesting so far and has black actors. I'm just am waiting to see if the cast and writing is as good as the original GOT episodes seasons 1-6.

Your buddy bill called it “woke Tolkien”

I would advise you just not watch it. Hollywood is always gonna tweak some things when adapting a novel. Better to be ignorant than miserable I reckon if you can’t accept it for what it is.

Sep 12, 2013
She NEVER physically fought in the books. That is a HUGE and deal breaking thing for me. The stuff they did with Arwen in the first movie nearly kept me from watching the rest of the LOTR movies. I have read the LOTR about once per year since the 1970s. There was NO need to do what they did in order to make spectacular movies, except to mock Tolkien and his world view.

So you’ve read the books almost 50 times? That’s wild. Different strokes for different folks.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Ah, but the original author that created this world has no input here. This isn't Harry Potter.

You might as well stop. They just don't see it.

If you wanted to make a heroine fantasy character why didn't you make an original instead of completely changing core characters and stories instead and trying to use our established characters by changing them to fit your narrative?

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Y’all are a different level of nerd.

Arguing over fantasy, seems productive**

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Well Tolkien is dead. It's an adaptation and using the name because it's based upon the world and the books. It's not produced by Tolkien. There have been a ton of shows snd movies adapted from books that just basically use general names and stuff and world but then reimagine how things are or tell the story differently

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

I would advise you just not watch it. Hollywood is always gonna tweak some things when adapting a novel. Better to be ignorant than miserable I reckon if you can’t accept it for what it is.

Better to read the BOOK and get the original author's real story than Hollywood's butchering of it. Get the book and read it. A word of warning though, it's going to take you a LOT more than a couple of hours. It uses a LOT of the actual English Language, and even invents a few languages of it's own (which was why Tolkien wrote the story to begin with). It might not be your cup of tea. It might be better for you to stick with Hollywood and remain blissfully ignorant to the much, much richer original story.

Sep 12, 2013

And while they’re at it, I want someone to show me how those giant eagles and fell beast can fly. They defy the laws of physics. And also how the wizards can make **** move without touching it and how Gandalf can talk to bugs.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Well Tolkien is dead. It's an adaptation and using the name because it's based upon the world and the books. It's not produced by Tolkien. There have been a ton of shows snd movies adapted from books that just basically use general names and stuff and world but then reimagine how things are or tell the story differently
In layman's terms, Hollywood. Read the book. The films are at best not good, at worst they are absolutely garbage. READ the BOOKS.

Sep 12, 2013
Better to read the BOOK and get the original author's real story than Hollywood's butchering of it. Get the book and read it. A word of warning though, it's going to take you a LOT more than a couple of hours. It uses a LOT of the actual English Language, and even invents a few languages of it's own (which was why Tolkien wrote the story to begin with). It might not be your cup of tea. It might be better for you to stick with Hollywood and remain blissfully ignorant to the much, much richer original story.

Deal. I’ll watch the shows/movies and won’t ***** about the books, you read the books for the 60th time and don’t ***** about the movies.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
And while they’re at it, I want someone to show me how those giant eagles and fell beast can fly. They defy the laws of physics. And also how the wizards can make **** move without touching it and how Gandalf can talk to bugs.
Ah, but that is the world the author created. It's his world and his alone. It should not be modified by Hollywood catering to woke children with short attention spans AFTER HIS DEATH. This isn't Harry Potter and JK. (Which I also love by the way.)

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Deal. I’ll watch the shows/movies and won’t ***** about the books, you read the books for the 60th time and don’t ***** about the movies.

I'll always ***** about the films because they have ignored and changed major parts of the books. It's utterly disgusting. The degradation of our culture continues.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Bill isn't everyone.

I know what Hollywood does with books to make a movie. But they usually don't say they are staying true to the books and then bring out something else and then tell you it's your fault if you don't like what they did. Those of us who are fans of this material actually have been waiting for this and watching all of the previews and listening to them tell us over and over this was going to stay faithful to the source material they said every time they had a question they went back to the books.

I try to only criticize what I watch. I keep watching as long as I can in hopes that things change when they find out bitching out or blaming failure on the criticism of your core audience equals fewer viewers and less money. The average television viewer does not give a crap about the stuff and it's not your loyal audience.

It's funny the way you tell folks who like the don't like it just to just quit watching simply because I don't like it. You must be a television executive or writer

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm out. I'm not gonna change anybody's mind so I will quit. I'm more interested in tomorrow nights game anyway.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Bill isn't everyone.

I know what Hollywood does with books to make a movie. But they usually don't say they are staying true to the books and then bring out something else and then tell you it's your fault if you don't like what they did. Those of us who are fans of this material actually have been waiting for this and watching all of the previews and listening to them tell us over and over this was going to stay faithful to the source material they said every time they had a question they went back to the books.

I try to only criticize what I watch. I keep watching as long as I can in hopes that things change when they find out bitching out or blaming failure on the criticism of your core audience equals fewer viewers and less money. The average television viewer does not give a crap about the stuff and it's not your loyal audience.

It's funny the way you tell folks who like the don't like it just to just quit watching simply because I don't like it. You must be a television executive or writer

Yep, I was really looking forward to this. A comprehensive film about this part of the saga should have been wonderful. Hollywood counted on the fact that few people had ever read this stuff. Obviously given the ignorance of the story here they were right. Congratulations Hollywood, you own these people.

Sep 12, 2013
Bill isn't everyone.

I say quit watching because it makes no sense to keep watching something you don’t like. Why subject yourself to misery? You KNOW it’s not gonna follow the books to a tee. It’s not a surprise. Hoping they all the sudden take a script straight from the pages is foolish.

But whatevs. Keep watching something you don’t like then and be mad about it.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I say quit watching because it makes no sense to keep watching something you don’t like. Why subject yourself to misery? You KNOW it’s not gonna follow the books to a tee. It’s not a surprise. Hoping they all the sudden take a script straight from the pages is foolish.

\

Okay. I'm not mad at you and I can not like something and give negative criticism without being mad. If that's what you are really worried about don't visit this page after our first loss.

Peace

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

They didn't even follow the spirit of the books on this one. They specifically tried to destroy it. This isn't some argument of specific quotes in the dialogue. You can't expect the legions of fans of the books to remain silent. Bleed and I are far from alone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login