OT: Rings of Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Your buddy bill called it “woke Tolkien”

I would advise you just not watch it. Hollywood is always gonna tweak some things when adapting a novel. Better to be ignorant than miserable I reckon if you can’t accept it for what it is.

Gender roles, not race. In Tolkien, warriors are MALE. That does NOT mean that females like Galadriel can't be immensely powerful, as she WAS. The Tolkien world isn't PC, and doesn't conform to modern thought. It's a world of his own creation and it should be respected, as it is HIS creation. I have no respect at all for those that don't do so.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This is going beyond your dislike for a fantasy character adaptation.

Feel bad for the women in your life.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
This is going beyond your dislike for a fantasy character adaptation.

Feel bad for the women in your life.

Read the books. Tolkien is steeped in the idyllic mythologic roles of the Middle Ages. Queens were allowed to have immense power, but not as sword wielding warriors. That IS the world of his books. I'm astonished that people can't accept it for what it is, an outstanding work of fantasy fiction.

I also find it hilarious that you equate my stance on a beloved work of fiction with how I conduct my real life. Fiction is fiction, and as far as I'm concerned, nothing more. I'm amused! Congratulations, that's not easy to accomplish in this context.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
You might as well stop. They just don't see it.

If you wanted to make a heroine fantasy character why didn't you make an original instead of completely changing core characters and stories instead and trying to use our established characters by changing them to fit your narrative?

You are correct, but I just can't help myself. Wilson R introduced me to these books. I can still remember my heart pounding late at night when I read the Weathertop scenes for the first time, 9th grade I think. Other than the Bible LOTR is the best book ever written.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I LOVE the trilogy, as in the BOOKS. The LOTR movies were barely tolerable from my perspective. I discovered Tolkien in the late 1970s. I take it you never paid much attention to the books. Galadriel was indeed mighty, but she was not warrior.
17’n dork. Go play some D&D or something******

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ve read The Hobbit and The Trilogy probably a dozen times, admittedly it’s been a few years. I have even read The Simarillian and let me tell you, that’s a tough read. It reads more like a genealogy research paper than an adventure book. It really doesn’t bother me that a movie doesn’t closely follow the book it’s based on. Movies and books are different animals even though they both convey a story. I’m an avid reader. I have a weird habit that if I watch a movie and enjoy it and it’s based on a book, I’ll buy the book and read it. I like to compare the two for continuity. It’s not to criticize the movie but just more of an exercise to mentally note the differences between the two. I’ve done this for dozens of movies. The only book / movie combo that closest mirrors each other is Dances with Wolves. It’s almost identical except for one thing. They changed the Native American tribe from Comanche in the book to Sioux in the movie. No explanation and it really doesn’t change the story so why change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login