OT - RIP Meat Loaf

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Damn I just discovered/watched Streets of Fire for the first time the other day. Meatloaf has a song on there that Diane Lane sings. Movie is a hidden 80's gem. Watch if you can while it's on Netflix. Here's the mv (not the Lane movie version, I won't spoil that epic version for y'all). Meatloaf is the Goat.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
That is accurate. I have never seen Fight Club and probably never will. I also think Airplane is NOT funny. It is actually horrid.

However, I do apologize for my ignorance on the commentary.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Damn I just discovered/watched Streets of Fire for the first time the other day. Meatloaf has a song on there that Diane Lane sings. Movie is a hidden 80's gem. Watch if you can while it's on Netflix. Here's the mv (not the Lane movie version, I won't spoil that epic version for y'all). Meatloaf is the Goat.

Diane Lane is hot still!

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Meat Loaf's partnership with Jim Steinman who passed last April...

...was the key to his success. Over-the-top, rock opera, with album cover art that looks more fit for the side of a van than anything else, this duo had songs covered by improbable artists such as:

Celine Dion ("It's All Coming Back To Me Now")
Barry Manilow ("Read 'Em and Weep")
Air Supply ("Making Love Out of Nothing At All")
Bonnie Tyler ("Total Eclipse of the Heart")

If you look at the "Bat Out Of Hell" album, it reads like the RNR HOF: Edgar Winter, Todd Rundgren, members of Springsteen's E Street Band, etc., etc.

This ain't yer mom's meat loaf....

From the Guardian:

"His own website described him as “The Lord of Excess”, and the Los Angeles Times dubbed him “the Richard Wagner of Rock and Roll”. Jim Steinman, who has died of kidney failure aged 73, made a spectacular career of being bigger and more bombastic than the rest, and his achievement in masterminding Meat Loaf’s album Bat Out of Hell will guarantee his immortality."

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Pitiful script, wooden performances, and Micheal Parre but I LUV it. It has one of my favorite soundtracks and one of my all time favorite pop/r&b songs from the 80's.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
When I was there somebody dropped a garbage bag of bleach off the balcony and hit a pizza driver. All the pizza places in town refused to deliver to campus until that person was caught.

Misfit

Oct 21, 2018
We have moved firmly into the dying off of the Baby Boomer generation. There are a hell of a lot of us, so what you are used to happening in 3s will be happening in the 6s and 7s.

Misfit

Oct 21, 2018
Bruce, watch the movie. It's pretty good, but not a movie anybody ought to have recorded any line or scene in his memory banks, as all of the folks hounding you apparently did.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
His music wasn't my favorite, he had a few songs I liked, but I do recognize his talent, and appreciate his great voice. My ex, on the other hand, Meatloaf made her clothes come off, so I always enjoyed his music that way.

True story. The ex & I went out one night, the night we beat FL, and on the way home one of his songs came on. We we're both in good moods, State had just won, so I wasn't ill, which made her happy, and she got to listen & sing along, to what seemed like a 10 minute Meatloaf song. We pulled into the garage, and the next thing I know, my pants are to my ankles, the windows are fogging up, and she climbed aboard. Good times. Man could she put on a show.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I’m sorry the man died, and I feel sad for his family. I must agree with several others here who have stated that his music was not my thing. Not my thing at all. Just for reference, I’m in the “60’s” age group, so I was listening when he was at his most active-I just wasn’t listening to him. I was driving up through the Delta this morning and into the afternoon listening to Sirius/XM in my truck. They were doing a “Tribute to Meatloaf” by playing one of his songs about every 5-6 songs. His stuff just didn’t appeal to me. My wife was riding with me-and she was the one who actually said it out loud. I don’t think any person who is truly objective can actually believe that saying you don’t care for someone’s musical creations is an actual disrespect of that person. I just didn’t get into Meatloaf. Obviously, my opinion didn’t prevent him from making millions of dollars and reaching a level of fame from it that I would kill to have for myself.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
His music wasn't my favorite, he had a few songs I liked, but I do recognize his talent, and appreciate his great voice. My ex, on the other hand, Meatloaf made her clothes come off, so I always enjoyed his music that way.

True story. The ex & I went out one night, the night we beat FL, and on the way home one of his songs came on. We we're both in good moods, State had just won, so I wasn't ill, which made her happy, and she got to listen & sing along, to what seemed like a 10 minute Meatloaf song. We pulled into the garage, and the next thing I know, my pants are to my ankles, the windows are fogging up, and she climbed aboard. Good times. Man could she put on a show.

Paradise By The Dashboard Light.

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
Maybe you didn't catch the Suttleties...

Meat Loaf, an absolute powerhouse of a performer, has died at the age of 74. Bat Out Of Hell is a high water mark of the rock & roll era, a totem of all of its excess that’s simultaneously a spoof. https://t.co/hyhBSZDlbU— Stephen Thomas Erlewine (@sterlewine) January 21, 2022

Holy carp. I guess I've just been ignorant my entire life. I recognized Ellen Foley on night court, never knew why. Now I do. ****.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login