OT Samsung Refrigerator suuuucks!!!!

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Unfortunately, this thread wasn’t posted until after I bought a $2000 Samsung Refrigerator. Right after the warranty went out the touch screen stopped working which makes any adjustments useless. Then the ice maker did the thing everyone warned about. Samsung sent someone out to “fix” the ice maker for free and here we are 3 weeks later and it is still doing the same thing. Seriously do not buy a Samsung refrigerator, and this is coming from a guy that had one 16 years ago that was great and has 2 TVs that he loves from Samsung.
https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?215604-LG-Samsung-frigerators&highlight=Samsung

RightOfCenter

Dec 5, 2015
Not likely that anything will be done. My folks bought one and just after the warranty went out it died. Getting bounced from call center to call center, finally they talk to “bob”. He basically told them to go get another one and led them to believe that there are several brands made in one factory and different logos slapped on them on the way out the door.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Unfortunately, this thread wasn’t posted until after I bought a $2000 Samsung Refrigerator. Right after the warranty went out the touch screen stopped working which makes any adjustments useless. Then the ice maker did the thing everyone warned about. Samsung sent someone out to “fix” the ice maker for free and here we are 3 weeks later and it is still doing the same thing. Seriously do not buy a Samsung refrigerator, and this is coming from a guy that had one 16 years ago that was great and has 2 TVs that he loves from Samsung.
https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?215604-LG-Samsung-frigerators&highlight=Samsung

What about insignia? Anybody have any clue who makes them and whether they’re any good?

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
So my LG went out right after the warranty expired a fees months ago. I called a local appliance repair guy & he told me to call their customer support and ask if they will cover it. Turns out both LG and Samsung have class action lawsuits about how crappy their fridges are. LG offered me a free extended warranty & replaced my compressor for free.

The LG installation tech said LG is doing this because it’s cheaper than having more people join the class action lawsuit. He said when enough people started threatening joining the lawsuit or going to press, that’s when they started repairing for free.

If you call Samsung customer service and don’t get anywhere, try it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Sounds like someone needs a few more Dude Koozies to help cool those Miller Lites down. In the mail tomorrow brother.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Yeah, mine is out in the carport now with no ice to worry about.

I had to replace mine in September and there were very few options at that time. I ended up with a 4 door French doors Whirlpool because of the ice maker issue with Samsung. I even got an extra 500 off when they delivered it an there where two quarter size dents on one side. The driver pointed it out and we called whirlpool and we negotiated a 500 gift card to keep it. I put a National Championship magnet over them.

So far it has been great. If you spend alot of time in the kitchen or have open concept where the fridge is exposed it is a little noisier than my old fridge. Our kitchen is closed off and for cooking only so not an issue.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We had one in our old house. We left it behind because the ice maker got stuck

We have an LG now so far so good

expireddog

Oct 4, 2013
Second this. Bought a Samsung top load washer last summer. Kept getting off balance. Called Samsung and they sent some one to our house to check it out. (Local appliance repairmen will not work on LG or Samsung) After running tests, service tech tells me the dampers are out (similar to shock absorbers). $300 to repair because I'm just outside the 1 year manufacturer warranty. Parts are on back order. 17 it all!!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I have one we bought last year with the house and it's ok. Ice makers is in the bottom shelf freezer its works ok except it just has a bad habit of either dropping cubes all over the freezer or on the floor as it waits to drop when open the drawer to get some ice for my tea.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
If you leave the door open for 10 seconds on an LG it plays the Korean National Anthem.

BOOM!! That’s freaking awesome humor-I needed it. Had to wait until the end of my day to see this, but it was 17ing worth the wait for the laugh I got out of this. That’s top-shelf funny for sure.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
Second this. Bought a Samsung top load washer last summer. Kept getting off balance. Called Samsung and they sent some one to our house to check it out. (Local appliance repairmen will not work on LG or Samsung) After running tests, service tech tells me the dampers are out (similar to shock absorbers). $300 to repair because I'm just outside the 1 year manufacturer warranty. Parts are on back order. 17 it all!!

We bought an LG front load washer and dryer when we bought this house. Hated them day one.

When the LG washer leaked one drop we went down to the local mom and pop and bought a Crosley top load washer and dryer like grandma and mom used. 1/4 the cost of another LG pair and 300% better results.

Take this advice for washer and dryer shopping. Tell them to point you to the loudest washer that uses the most water. Exact opposite of what they are trying to sell you. It’s usually in the back. Boom there is your pair.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
All of the fridges are crap with all the electronics and flimsy ice bins. Try to find an old one with the locking handle on the front door. Might have to bleach it a few times to get the "dead kid" smell out of it.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I posted that people should not buy Samsung Refrigerators

We've had one for about 10 years now and I have to work on it every year to fix leaks from either the food compartment or the freezer.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Just goes to show you - always consult the SixPack before making a purchase.

Thirty-Two Dive

Feb 10, 2013
Dadgum…

I’ve had a Samsung fridge and dryer for about 10 trouble free years.

After reading this thread, I’m scared they are about to get gremlins, affecting to the like of Scott Field Indians.

They don’t stand a Chinaman’s chance…

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I dont understand the appeal of 'smart fridges'. I also dont understand the appeal of front load washing machines.

Simple *** appliances seem to last because they are simple. I dont need my fridge to do anything more than keep either cold or really cold. Ours makes ice, that you have to pull out with your hand, because struggle builds character.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have one we bought last year with the house and it's ok. Ice makers is in the bottom shelf freezer its works ok except it just has a bad habit of either dropping cubes all over the freezer or on the floor as it waits to drop when open the drawer to get some ice for my tea.

The price difference is big enough, and there are enough expensive models that seem to have a decent number of duds anyway, that I'm leaning towards going with insignia as long as it's reasonably reliable. Don't even care if the ice maker works as long as I dont' have to worry about losing a freezer of food. .

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021

I replaced the dampers twice (very easy to do) on my Mom's Samsung top load in 8 months. First time with genuine Samsung which made it the 8 months and second time with cheap aftermarket which lasted another 10 months. The third time I carried it to the dump and pulled my GE out of storage and gave it to her. It is still going strong after 5 total years of use. My current washer and dryer are refurbished Maytags from a used appliance store.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Circuit board went bad on Samsung washer back in the summer. I had been temporarily fixing it until it was beyond repair so I decided to buy a new board but discovered they have discontinued the circuit boards.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Samsung appliances are known to be garbage.

Yep. GF bought appliances right before we moved in together. Samsung washer and dryer came from Home Depot. After a couple of months the dryer was not heating. Called Home Depot but since it was still covered we had to deal with Samsung directly. They didn't have ANY authorized repairmen in the Jackson metro so were going to send us a new one. They could not guarantee replacement within a month and GF was losing her mind. After dozens of calls back to them they finally agreed to send us a reimbursement check. We found a repairman in the area willing to work on the dumb machine, came in and found out that the plug had nearly caught fire and melted. Fixed it and we pocketed the check on our now free dryer.

Even though it came out in our favor it was a HUGE headache and we will NEVER buy another Samsung product again. They were terrible to work with.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I dont understand the appeal of 'smart fridges'. I also dont understand the appeal of front load washing machines.

Simple *** appliances seem to last because they are simple. I dont need my fridge to do anything more than keep either cold or really cold. Ours makes ice, that you have to pull out with your hand, because struggle builds character.

I was on board with you until I got a fridge that can make hot oatmeal. Can do the same thing with an instant hot water tap, but I would have had to do minor electrical work and plumbing work, and more scarily, put another hole in my countertop (maybe that shouldn't be scary, but I've never dealt with them and was worried I would cause a crack). It was on my todo list when I upgraded the fridge, but now I won't mess with it.

I may change my tune the first time a feature that is not basic requires a repair, but as of now, it seems worth the tradeoff.

And the appeal of front load washers was supposed to be that they are easier on clothes because they don't have an agitator, plus they use less water in places where that matters. Now that they have the topload without agitators, I don't know what the appeal would be in places that aren't short water.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I was on board with you until I got a fridge that can make hot oatmeal.
ok, instant hot water is a legit cool feature. I actually would like that more than a cold water dispenser. My sink provides cold water faster than any fridge.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
ok, instant hot water is a legit cool feature. I actually would like that more than a cold water dispenser. My sink provides cold water faster than any fridge.
View attachment 23310
It never fails, We’re walking out the door then I have to wait 20 minutes while my wife fills a 32 oz glass with fridge water.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Dang, I just bought a Samsung gas stove .., I have not hooked it up yet.. I can’t buy Viking dammit

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Mine has been fine so far but I didn’t get a fancy touchscreen because that seemed like an obvious point of failure. We’ve only had it four years though.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Learned that lesson

My Samsung lasted 5 years. Nobody services them. I'm done with electronics manufacturers for appliances. Crossing my fingers on the LG washer/dryer of similar age.

Went with a KitchenAid on the replacement. We'll see.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
RCA & Magic Chef are some of the higher rated fridges. Heard Bosch is good. The best washer and dryer I've ever owned is the only ones I've ever owned. Roper, bought in 99 and still going strong. Had to replace belt a couple times on the dryer and a switch on the washer.

512taylor

Sep 2, 2012
My Samsung lasted 5 years. Nobody services them. I'm done with electronics manufacturers for appliances. Crossing my fingers on the LG washer/dryer of similar age.

Went with a KitchenAid on the replacement. We'll see.

Didn't Whirlpool buy KitchenAid?

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
RCA & Magic Chef are some of the higher rated fridges. Heard Bosch is good. The best washer and dryer I've ever owned is the only ones I've ever owned. Roper, bought in 99 and still going strong. Had to replace belt a couple times on the dryer and a switch on the washer.

If you live on the coast do not buy Bosch. Most repair people will tell you they don't mess with Bosch. The few that say they do don't really want to.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I was on board with you until I got a fridge that can make hot oatmeal. Can do the same thing with an instant hot water tap, but I would have had to do minor electrical work and plumbing work, and more scarily, put another hole in my countertop (maybe that shouldn't be scary, but I've never dealt with them and was worried I would cause a crack). It was on my todo list when I upgraded the fridge, but now I won't mess with it.

I may change my tune the first time a feature that is not basic requires a repair, but as of now, it seems worth the tradeoff.

And the appeal of front load washers was supposed to be that they are easier on clothes because they don't have an agitator, plus they use less water in places where that matters. Now that they have the topload without agitators, I don't know what the appeal would be in places that aren't short water.

The toploads without agitators are fine, so long as you overlook that they don't get your clothes clean and also somehow at the same time don't get the soap out unless you add an extra rinse, which of course defeats the purpose of the water savings.

Main reason is that without the agitators the clothes just sit in the same spot. They don't turn or even submerge if they're near the top. I have to choose an added water function on my new, you guessed it, Samsung just to get the top clothes wet. And somehow shreds clothes worse than the old model too. They clearly were made to fill a sales niche, and it didn't matter that they suck.

My wife already wishes for the bottom of the line washer I had before.

Dryer works fine though.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Believe so

Didn't Whirlpool buy KitchenAid?

We originally tried to buy a whirlpool back in 2020 but the order kept getting pushed back. Went with the kitchenaid after several delays since the store had it in stock - of course it was 700 bucks more.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login