OT: Seresto

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015
Just bought property in east Texas. Dogs are getting ticks non stop. Anyone tried Seresto? It’s going to cost $180 for 3 collars which is worth if it works.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Can't speak to seresto, but try spraying your yard with Bifen IT and I guarantee that the ticks will be gone.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
It works well. Just be aware that some dogs can have seizures with it use. Very rare but monitor your pooches.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Simperica works for my dogs. It’s a pill. It can be bought online without going to a vet. That’s not what you asked, but thought it might be helpful.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Seresto is a great collar, and it works very well when used according to the label. We've sold it for years with VERY rare instances of skin irritation. None of our clients have reported seizure issues, but it can happen in a select population of dogs. This is also true of Bravecto (my personal favorite) and Nexgard, both of which are oral tablets. See my response to Jethreaux below for important info.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Simperica works for my dogs. It’s a pill. It can be bought online without going to a vet. That’s not what you asked, but thought it might be helpful.

Hey jethreaux.....just a quick heads up about Simparica. First, it's a great product and works really well. Second, if you're able to buy it somewhere without a prescription, there's a decent chance it's counterfeit OR obtained illegally. Always go through your local veterinarian and obtain a prescription for it and all the other non-OTC products. Y'all wouldn't believe how big of an industry fake pet drugs are or how sophisticated the packaging is. Many clinics have an online store that ships directly from a distributor or manufacturer, which essentially guarantees the product is legit. Try your best to avoid the corporate online places if you can. Hope this comes across with the helpful tone that I intended.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
I would agree it’s a great collar. We sell a bunch of them. The 2 problems I’ve run across but are easily solved: collar can loosen and when that happens it loses effectiveness. Make sure it fits snug. 2. Dogs losing the collar, usually due to rough play. I’ve just told clients to zip tie it to the inside of the regular collar that the dog wears and seems to solve that issue.

It’s the best bang for your buck but if you have a pond on the property you may not get the full 8 months if the dog swims in it all the time.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Ticks can transmit many diseases to humans, including Alpha Gal, RMSF, Lyme, etc. Treat your clothes (including hat, gloves and shoes) with permethrin and spray down with Off, Cutter, etc.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Thanks 1msucub

I buy through the vet, or did until my vet quit carrying it, now through chewy with vet approval. I just assumed the OP was trying to get something without going to a vet since he was using collars. May have been a wrong assumption anyway.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Can't speak to seresto, but try spraying your yard with Bifen IT and I guarantee that the ticks will be gone.
This. Bifen eliminates ticks, fleas, termites, and fire ants for about three months. I swear it even curtails mosquitoes for awhile.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
It is very effective against mosquitoes, you just have to be sure to get understory and undersides of plants where they like to hang.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
I buy through the vet, or did until my vet quit carrying it, now through chewy with vet approval. I just assumed the OP was trying to get something without going to a vet since he was using collars. May have been a wrong assumption anyway.

All good, my brother.

msu86

Sep 17, 2015
Go get Bravecto from your vet and then spray yard with Bifen I/T. Keep your dog out of the Bifen while it dries but you won’t have anymore problems.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login