OT: Shohei Ohtani is absurd

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Through 3 seasons pitching, he's 38-19 with a 3.30 ERA and 1.08 WHIP, along with an incredible 11.4 K/9 (would be highest all-time if he had enough innings).

So, great pitcher, even though he couldn't pitch this year after Tommy John. But now this season at the plate he goes and becomes the first player in MLB history to hit 50 HRs and steal 50 bases.

He reached both milestones today by going 6 for 6 with a single, 2 doubles, 3 home runs, 2 stolen bases, 4 runs, and 10 runs batted in. Absolute insanity.

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021
No doubt Ohtani is a great player. I thought the guys on MLB Network might be going a little overboard. They equated this to hitting .400 in a season. The host said he's the greatest all-time and put him with the category with Jordan, Gretzky and Brady. Ohtani needs to win a championship, or two. The other 3 mentioned have 17 combined. BTW, the last HR was off a position player.

Reactions: wbcbus and OhioLion

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Through 3 seasons pitching, he's 38-19 with a 3.30 ERA and 1.08 WHIP, along with an incredible 11.4 K/9 (would be highest all-time if he had enough innings).

So, great pitcher, even though he couldn't pitch this year after Tommy John. But now this season at the plate he goes and becomes the first player in MLB history to hit 50 HRs and steal 50 bases.

He reached both milestones today by going 6 for 6 with a single, 2 doubles, 3 home runs, 2 stolen bases, 4 runs, and 10 runs batted in. Absolute insanity.

Didn’t see this when I posted - absolutely incredible.

Reactions: LionJim

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
No doubt Ohtani is a great player. I thought the guys on MLB Network might be going a little overboard. They equated this to hitting .400 in a season. The host said he's the greatest all-time and put him with the category with Jordan, Gretzky and Brady. Ohtani needs to win a championship, or two. The other 3 mentioned have 17 combined. BTW, the last HR was off a position player.

Baseball is the most difficult sport for a single player to carry a team - unlike hockey and basketball (football to a lesser extent unless you are a 1/1 QB). Craziest thing for me about Ohtani is he bats lead off.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021

Yeah, longevity is what it'll take for him to join those others. He needs another 5+ years at the level he's been going the past 4 to become part of that conversation. If he's able to come back and pitch the way he was before, in addition to hitting like this, he's truly unique in how great he is.

I agree with Midnighter that it's unfair to require a baseball player to achieve championships to join that company because they simply can't do it on their own as much as the other sports. Obviously they all require team talent, but baseball requires it moreso than any other sport IMO.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login