OT: Shooting in Nashville...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
...Allegedly, a 28 year old female carried two (2) AK-47 assault rifles loaded with ammo and some type of pistol. She killed 6 people. On the other hand, Alex Murdaugh's defense attorneys said a person could not have carried two (2) long rifles and killed his wife & son. Yep Alex......good try.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
...Allegedly, a 28 year old female carried two (2) AK-47 assault rifles loaded with ammo and some type of pistol. She killed 6 people. On the other hand, Alex Murdaugh's defense attorneys said a person could not have carried two (2) long rifles and killed his wife & son. Yep Alex......good try.
White female. Allegedly a former student at the school (according to the police chief).

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I'll never understand the psychology of someone capable of this type of thing. I guess that's a good thing.
There always seems to have been signs that the shooter was in bad shape and possibly dangerous mentally but people just chose to ignore the signs or not want to get "involved". I don't have the answers, I just know it's hurting us for this to happen over and over..

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
A 9 yr old article from of all sources, "The Onion"? Did you check TMZ too?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
A 9 yr old article from of all sources, "The Onion"? Did you check TMZ too?
Confused The Point GIF by Travis

DogStuckAtUM

Aug 5, 2021
Fun day when wife's school (in same neighborhood) gets put on lockdown while our three kids go to daycare 1.5 miles away. Coworker asked if I was ok, I said "Yeah, feel awful for everyone, but just normal day in America. This one just happens to be in our backyard..." After being in middle school for Pearl and then sophomore for Columbine, I'm so desensitized to this **** the past two decades, it sadly barely registers. FUN FUN FUN DAY.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Highly unusual for a female to do an act like this publicly

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don't have the answers, I just know it's hurting us for this to happen over and over..
Here is your answer- reduce what is a legal 'arm' with respect to guns down to revolvers that hold 5 bullets or less. Or revolvers that are .38 or smaller.
Something like that.

Then ban all other guns at the federal level and if someone is found to have any gun that is beyond whatever is allowed, they are arrested and if convicted are sentenced to federal prison for a minimum amount of time. After they are released, they are not allowed to own guns of any kind.

^
- nope, that will never happen. I recognize it is too extreme.
- nope, I dont hate guns. Ive shot em and they are fun to shoot.
- nope, that doesnt allow for many hunting or range shooting guns. Dont care- its a hypothetical and as already stated, it wont happen so no need to be afraid of not having a gun to kill Turkey Tom.
- nope, that wouldnt violate the 2A. We as a country are absolutely allowed to restrict gun sales, ownership, etc without violating 2A verbiage. Those who argue otherwise are simpletons who show their ignorance and selfishness every time they go on an aggressive rant about gun rights.
- nope, I wont stop posting this sort of stuff, even if some are triggered by it and unable to come to terms with the reality that their selfishness and demand for more guns with fewer restrictions is not a legitimate solution for gun violence.

Reactions: Dawgg

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I don't have the answers, I just know it's hurting us for this to happen over and over..
Nobody does it seems and all that can be offered right now is prayers and thoughts, not that they do very much. If real change was going to take place relating to guns then one would think it would have been Sandy Hook that spurred that change. I do not agree with golfer about his take on what should be done, but I do agree with him that something needs to be done.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Here is your answer- reduce what is a legal 'arm' with respect to guns down to revolvers that hold 5 bullets or less. Or revolvers that are .38 or smaller.
Something like that.

Then ban all other guns at the federal level and if someone is found to have any gun that is beyond whatever is allowed, they are arrested and if convicted are sentenced to federal prison for a minimum amount of time. After they are released, they are not allowed to own guns of any kind.

^
- nope, that doesnt allow for many hunting or range shooting guns. Dont care- its a hypothetical and as already stated, it wont happen so no need to be afraid of not having a gun to kill Turkey Tom.
- nope, that wouldnt violate the 2A. We as a country are absolutely allowed to restrict gun sales, ownership, etc without violating 2A verbiage. Those who argue otherwise are simpletons who show their ignorance and selfishness every time they go on an aggressive rant about gun rights.
- nope, I wont stop posting this sort of stuff, even if some are triggered by it and unable to come to terms with the reality that their selfishness and demand for more guns with fewer restrictions is not a legitimate solution for gun violence.
This isn't even an attempt at an "answer". It's another one of your pathetic trolls to steer the conversation towards a 4 page debate on your personal ideology.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
honest question. Really not trying to start a fight. If mental health is the main issue as the right seems bound and determined to blame this on every time it happens, then What has the Republican Party done to improve mental health in America? I’m honestly asking. Because if you really cared about children dying over and over again and thought mental health was the reason you would do something about it. Otherwise you are just saying things you know your constituents want to hear. I know that sounds like I’m just throwing gas on a fire, but I am legitimately asking. And I do hate that the answer now seems to be “kill the other guy first”. There is something so sad and broken that that is where we are.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Nobody does it seems and all that can be offered right now is prayers and thoughts, not that they do very much. If real change was going to take place relating to guns then one would think it would have been Sandy Hook that spurred that change. I do not agree with golfer about his take on what should be done, but I do agree with him that something needs to be done.
I liked your post because I fully accept that my comments are not popular and you said something needs to be done.
But then removed it and figured more discussion would be better.

What should be done? If not what I suggested, then what? What would legitimately reduce gun violence while still allowing guns to exist since they are tied to 2A for now and seemingly ever?
I am all for hearing other ideas that people genuinely think will reduce gun violence because I am clearly not the smartest person in the room and definitely dont come up with the best ideas. I know I say 'SPS gonna SPS' a lot, and it rings true, but this place is also a hotbed of really intelligent people and I would enjoy sitting back and just reading actual ideas for how to change society when it comes to gun violence.

Unfortunately, all too often I read stuff like 'what about gang violence?' or 'dont punish law followers!' or 'more guns will ensure everyone is safe'. One of my favorites is 'we have a history that is intricately intertwined with guns and that is unique compared to the rest of the world'.
None of that actually even attempts to solve anything. Its just pathetic excuses at best and whataboutism at worst.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This isn't even an attempt at an "answer". It's another one of your pathetic trolls to steer the conversation towards a 4 page debate on your personal ideology.
You said this is hurting us over and over and dont have an answer. I provided one- restrict gun access while still keeping guns legal. That would, in my mind, reduce gun violence because it would be more difficult to get a gun and it would be more difficult to kill many people at once.
I specifically said it wouldnt fully solve the issue.

It is unfortunate you dont think that is an answer. It is not me trying to troll. I welcome other ideas and have already posted that I would enjoy just reading actual intelligent responses on how to reduce shootings.
Maybe Chris Rock nailed it a quarter century ago and bullets should cost $5000 each.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Something like that.

^
Something like you say here is the only answer. When folks get to arguing, that's what it's about. Restricting the size of the magazine or whatever.

However, the two questions/comments/theories/etc. are this when it comes to overall gun control:

1) Do you (anybody) or do you not believe there are enough violent people in this country where you need a gun to protect yourself?
2) What can we do better to protect, or abolish, these overall vulnerable zones like schools?

There's no answer to #2, I don't think. We'll always have big gathering places. So it gets back to #1. And moving that to the original point, YES, I like to have a gun to protect myself. A pistol is fine. Do I need a big magazine to protect myself in everyday life? No.

So, assuming our country continues down the civilization path, we should restrict the magazines/ARs/etc.

However, a ton of people in this country are afraid of the government, and that's what they think they need the big guns for. They see what China/Russia are doing, etc. So they want to keep their guns. At the same time, America is a violent country, and people use those guys to kill innocents, like today. So it's a trade off. Is it worth it? Will we ever know?

This isn't Sweden, but it's also not Juarez. But I also don't see an uprising anytime soon, and I don't think the government is after me. Quite the opposite, actually.

I don't own ARs, by the way.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I liked your post because I fully accept that my comments are not popular and you said something needs to be done.
But then removed it and figured more discussion would be better.

What should be done? If not what I suggested, then what? What would legitimately reduce gun violence while still allowing guns to exist since they are tied to 2A for now and seemingly ever?
I am all for hearing other ideas that people genuinely think will reduce gun violence because I am clearly not the smartest person in the room and definitely dont come up with the best ideas. I know I say 'SPS gonna SPS' a lot, and it rings true, but this place is also a hotbed of really intelligent people and I would enjoy sitting back and just reading actual ideas for how to change society when it comes to gun violence.

Unfortunately, all too often I read stuff like 'what about gang violence?' or 'dont punish law followers!' or 'more guns will ensure everyone is safe'. One of my favorites is 'we have a history that is intricately intertwined with guns and that is unique compared to the rest of the world'.
None of that actually even attempts to solve anything. Its just pathetic excuses at best and whataboutism at worst.
First, let me say thank you for your kindness in response. I will agree with Baseball that is not the time to steer anything towards anyone's own ideology. That does nothing but create more problems than it solves. I would also say calling the gun rights folks simpletons if they do not agree with you is probably not going to bring the solution anymore in sight.

Now I am not the smartest person either, and I as well think this is a place of great intellect even though we sometimes are not the nicest to each other. I would love a productive thread with actual solutions as compared to a name calling thread between you and the conservatives on the other side.

So in that spirit I will say I have never quite understood why if we have a national database for bone marrow and organ donors why we cant have a national database of mentally suffering people that would not be allowed to buy guns? I understand that makes people uncomfortable in terms of private information to the government and the power of the federal government over reaching. I have also never understood why universal background checks are not something we can all get behind. Maybe Chris Titus said it best "If you have more voices in your head that bullets in the clip no gun for you". Just one Devil's humble opinion.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We'll soon hear that she wasn't taking her meds, she was bullied, her lover jilted her and worked here etc etc. Along with that we will hear take the guns away from the innocent law abiding citizens and punish them and tax them so others like her can be treated for the next 42+ years like we've had to do (and still are) for Mark David Chapman that killed John Lennon.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Something like that.

^
Well, I have plenty of guns, hunt, shoot, etc. and I'm ready for a change. We are clearly missing the part about "well-regulated" and I am also not part of a "militia". People will not give up anything for the good of others. The idea of self-sacrifice for the good of others is just lost on many, and I'm not perfect on that mark either. Perhaps the saddest part is that all of these self-proclaimed "alpha males" are anything but. They are too chicken **** to even go to a retail store without strapping...

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I have also never understood why universal background checks are not something we can all get behind.
The things is, background checks and things like waiting periods ARE something we are all behind. Depending on the study, anywhere from 70-80% of Americans (both left and right) support those kinds of simple steps. But the NRA has paid off a lot of rightwing politicians to oppose passing any sort of legislation that would implement those kinds of common sense policies.

Last edited:

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Something like that.

^
A simpler thing to consider: classify as Class III weapons those guns and gun accessories that you want to limit - just like automatic rifles, cans, etc. - and require the stamp which would necessitate fingerprinting, a background check, LEO consent, registration of the gun to the buyer, and payment of a stamp tax. The law and regulatory structure is in place, so this would be easy to do. Those of you that own a can, short barrel, or a full auto know the process. It's not that big of a deal. The genuine collector can still acquire the gun he or she wants, but maybe, just maybe, this process for legal ownership may prevent the crazies and the sickos from getting guns with significant rapid kill power.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
honest question. Really not trying to start a fight. If mental health is the main issue as the right seems bound and determined to blame this on every time it happens, then What has the Republican Party done to improve mental health in America? I’m honestly asking. Because if you really cared about children dying over and over again and thought mental health was the reason you would do something about it. Otherwise you are just saying things you know your constituents want to hear. I know that sounds like I’m just throwing gas on a fire, but I am legitimately asking. And I do hate that the answer now seems to be “kill the other guy first”. There is something so sad and broken that that is where we are.
No "party" has done anything to improve the health in this country. Lobbies are too strong.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
No "party" has done anything to improve the health in this country. Lobbies are too strong.
Uh, one party passed landmark legislation that, while not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, demonstrably improved access to healthcare for millions of people in this country. The other party has spent the last 15 years throwing a hissy fit about that fact.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
We'll soon hear that she wasn't taking her meds, she was bullied, her lover jilted her and worked here etc etc. Along with that we will hear take the guns away from the innocent law abiding citizens and punish them and tax them so others like her can be treated for the next 42+ years like we've had to do (and still are) for Mark David Chapman that killed John Lennon.
She was trans "identifying " as a guy. The story will quickly disappear.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
Something like you say here is the only answer. When folks get to arguing, that's what it's about. Restricting the size of the magazine or whatever.

However, the two questions/comments/theories/etc. are this when it comes to overall gun control:

1) Do you (anybody) or do you not believe there are enough violent people in this country where you need a gun to protect yourself?
2) What can we do better to protect, or abolish, these overall vulnerable zones like schools?

There's no answer to #2, I don't think. We'll always have big gathering places. So it gets back to #1. And moving that to the original point, YES, I like to have a gun to protect myself. A pistol is fine. Do I need a big magazine to protect myself in everyday life? No.

So, assuming our country continues down the civilization path, we should restrict the magazines/ARs/etc.

However, a ton of people in this country are afraid of the government, and that's what they think they need the big guns for. They see what China/Russia are doing, etc. So they want to keep their guns. At the same time, America is a violent country, and people use those guys to kill innocents, like today. So it's a trade off. Is it worth it? Will we ever know?
Look at what happened to Australia after the gov't confiscated the citizens guns. It didn't work.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m all for tougher background checks but no conservative who believes in the 2nd amendment is going to agree to that unless dems quit saying they want our guns.

the bill that is written would need to be clear and concise and state how they are going to protect the right to bear arms.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I'm sure there are ideas that a reasonable group of 2A advocates could agree to, but politications would rather use these tragedies for political points.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
A simpler thing to consider: classify as Class III weapons those guns and gun accessories that you want to limit - just like automatic rifles, cans, etc. - and require the stamp which would necessitate fingerprinting, a background check, LEO consent, registration of the gun to the buyer, and payment of a stamp tax. The law and regulatory structure is in place, so this would be easy to do. Those of you that own a can, short barrel, or a full auto know the process. It's not that big of a deal. The genuine collector can still acquire the gun he or she wants, but maybe, just maybe, this process for legal ownership may prevent the crazies and the sickos from getting guns with significant rapid kill power.
I understand this sentiment, but there are estimates that there may be close to 400mil "unregistered" firearms in this country. Further regulating the sale of firearms at this point will have a small impact now and a great impact in years to come, but I think it will decades before it has a noticeable impact.

Reactions: Dawgg and Boom Boom

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
If you really cared about children dying over and over again you’d be way more upset about Chicago and way more often than you would about school shootings.

Now imagine Chicago but more cities that are similar.

Reactions: Trazom

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
There is a linked in identifying an individual with the same name, "Audrey Hale," who is reportedly a Nashville-based graphic artist. Photo is female. Pronouns "He/Him." Instagram link is "creative.aiden." I'm not the smartest person on the planet, but my deductive reasoning skills suggest that, assuming this is the same person, we are about to find out that this person didn't want to be identified as a female, but as a dude named Aiden.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I'm sure there are ideas that a reasonable group of 2A advocates could agree to, but politications would rather use these tragedies for political points.
Both sides. That’s why term limits are so badly needed. Fair amount of time to have some type of career but not longer than 16 to 24 years.

i think 16 in one branch and 24 total between house and senate is a good length of time.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
There is a linked in identifying an individual with the same name, "Audrey Hale," who is reportedly a Nashville-based graphic artist. Photo is female. Pronouns "He/Him." Instagram link is "creative.aiden." I'm not the smartest person on the planet, but my deductive reasoning skills suggest that, assuming this is the same person, we are about to find out that this person didn't want to be identified as a female, but as a dude named Aiden.
And that’s mental illness. No matter how you look at it.

If you are female and want to be a male and get so angry at the world about it that you kill people, you are mentally unstable. FACT.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Look at what happened to Australia after the gov't confiscated the citizens guns. It didn't work.
Correct and history has proven giving up your right to defend yourself against government or other people is a bad idea.

America is still safer and more prosperous than 90% plus of the rest of the world. Conservatively speaking.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I’m ready for a change. Daughter lives in Australia…she doesn’t want to send kids to school here nor does her Aussie husband I can’t blame them. I hunt, shoot all that **** but let’s have a waiting period. Mental states can change and if I want a gun and have to wait a year, so what. Waited on my pickup I can wait for a new rifle. This is beyond pathetic. Let’s do something different.

• Angry
Reactions: Dawgg and Trazom
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login