OT: Shooting in Nashville...

Status
Not open for further replies.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
The things is, background checks and things like waiting periods ARE something we are all behind. Depending on the study, anywhere from 70-80% of Americans (both left and right) support those kinds of simple steps. But the NRA has paid off a lot of rightwing politicians to oppose passing any sort of legislation that would implement those kinds of common sense policies.
The fear that the endgame is as glfr proposes is what stands in the way.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m ready for a change. Daughter lives in Australia…she doesn’t want to send kids to school here nor does her Aussie husband I can’t blame them. I hunt, shoot all that **** but let’s have a waiting period. Mental states can change and if I want a gun and have to wait a year, so what. Waited on my pickup I can wait for a new rifle. This is beyond pathetic. Let’s do something different.
Again I’m all for tougher background checks but a year is too long.
2 to 3 months should be easy.

Also, dems are going to have to prove by law they don’t want to revoke, modify, change, infringe on 2A. I don’t think they will be willing to do that.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Well, I have plenty of guns, hunt, shoot, etc. and I'm ready for a change. We are clearly missing the part about "well-regulated" and I am also not part of a "militia". People will not give up anything for the good of others. The idea of self-sacrifice for the good of others is just lost on many, and I'm not perfect on that mark either. Perhaps the saddest part is that all of these self-proclaimed "alpha males" are anything but. They are too chicken **** to even go to a retail store without strapping...
I give up about 25% of my check for the good of others. That’s forceably.

I give up more bc I want to and can choose who needs vs who wants.

Reactions: mdm3045

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
honest question. Really not trying to start a fight. If mental health is the main issue as the right seems bound and determined to blame this on every time it happens, then What has the Republican Party done to improve mental health in America? I’m honestly asking. Because if you really cared about children dying over and over again and thought mental health was the reason you would do something about it. Otherwise you are just saying things you know your constituents want to hear. I know that sounds like I’m just throwing gas on a fire, but I am legitimately asking. And I do hate that the answer now seems to be “kill the other guy first”. There is something so sad and broken that that is where we are.
What has the Democratic Party done to improve mental health?

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
If you really cared about children dying over and over again you’d be way more upset about Chicago and way more often than you would about school shootings.Now imagine Chicago but more cities that are similar.

Thanks for implying that since you think my opinion is different than yours I don’t care about children dying. This is literally THE problem with our country. Anyone who voices anything against someone’s opinion (both sides) is demonized and painted as being completely in the wrong. It’s why things keep getting worse.

Last edited:

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
What has the Democratic Party done to improve mental health?
Nothing I know of. Me asking what the Republican Party has done is not an endorsement of the Democratic Party. Despite what everyone thinks, you don’t have to pick a side and instead can make up your own mind based on each individual issue. Also both sides are full of crap

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’m ready for a change. Daughter lives in Australia…she doesn’t want to send kids to school here nor does her Aussie husband I can’t blame them. I hunt, shoot all that **** but let’s have a waiting period. Mental states can change and if I want a gun and have to wait a year, so what. Waited on my pickup I can wait for a new rifle. This is beyond pathetic. Let’s do something different.
Seems like she'd be more concerned about the commute? Lot of time zones to cross.

Seriously there are probably tens of millions of school aged kids in the country. They are probably 10,000x more likely being injured in an auto accident on the way to/from school. There's no push for folks to trade in Honda Civics for Hummers to shuttle kids back and forth to school. I've read that wearing a motorcycle helment inside of a car would greatly reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries, but there's no move to do that either. Governing cars so they can't obtain a speed of more than 25 mph unless on a rural road or interstate would also save a lot of lives. Any of these measures would save a heck of a lot more lives.

Last edited:

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Why is a year too long? Maybe the waiting period differs by gun capacity or caliber. Ok I can get a 410 single shot today but a an AR with a 30 round clip 6 months 8 or a year! Do something any thing. And a wait doesn’t infringe on the second amendment it doesn’t say you have the right to bear arms purchased today And I haven’t voted Democrat once in my life and probably never will but I’m ready for a change on this issue. And I know guns don’t kill people I get that but make it harder for people to use them to kill people

• Angry
Reactions: Dawgg and Trazom

kired

Aug 22, 2008
A person that will do this, does not give a rats arce what the law is.
I spoke with a guy who was on a local panel to figure out how to prevent school shootings. They got to interview some shooters that are in jail, and every single one of them said there was nothing anyone could have done to prevent them from going through with it.

Maybe the weapon would change - but people that commit these school shootings are at point where they aren't turning back no matter what.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Seems like she'd be more concerned about the commute?

Seriously there are probably tens of millions of school aged kids in the country. They are probably 10,000x more likely being injured in an auto accident on the way to/from school.
Come on, man. Seriously? The ratio of kids that die from childhood cancer is really low too. We should probably stop research into trying to cure them. Good lord.

edited to add: fine, you want to use that comparison? Speed limits are lowered all the time. Stop lights and stop signs are added. People lose their driver’s licenses for certain crimes and certain people just aren’t allowed to have them. Everyone who owns a car has to have it registered with the government.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Come on, man. Seriously? The ratio of kids that die from childhood cancer is really low too. We should probably stop research into trying to cure them. Good lord.
you must have responded to the wrong post, that made no sense. Making ravel safer is easy and could be done quickly and have an immediate impact. Regulating gun sales, due to the hundreds of millions of unregistered already in the country, would take decades to have a noticeable impact.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The fear that the endgame is as glfr proposes is what stands in the way.
Glfr said Glfr wants guns to be legal. Glfr also said Glfr likes guns and has enjoyed shooting guns.

Just want to make sure you read that very important part of Glfr's comments since your post makes it seem like you didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login