OT - small SUV suggestions

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
If you actually mean small, I don't think Highlander or Grand Cherokee qualify as small.

Volkswagen Taos has been reviewed well. No idea on reliability.
My daughter has had a VW Taos for a couple years. She has an 11 son and a 9 year old daughter. She loves it. No issues so far

Reactions: She Mate Me

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I’m in the market a new/used smaller SUV for the wife. Seems like the Acura and Lincoln might be nice. You guys have any insight?
VW Tiguan is cavernous inside, but is a small/medium SUV. Both my girls have them, my two nieces have them, and they've been great.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
Both RX350 and RAV4 are in our family car fleet. (Both non hybrid).
strongly recommend Toyota products for reliability. They don’t break.

Most mechanics would tell you to avoid European cars for the long run.
Over 100k repairs are more likely and parts are expensive.

my 2¢

macdaddydawg

Sep 29, 2022
My wife had 2 pilots, first one she kept 10 years and put 250k and had zero issues, next one had several issues and she only put about 150k on it. She wanted to downsize, I was ready to steer away from Honda, was looking at the Rav4, wanted slighted used but couldn't find anything with leather. Got her a Lexus NX turbo. About the same price as a Rav4 or CRV. She has put about 100k on it since '19 with no issues and that turbo is fun to drive. 2 trips out west, AWD and still gets 29 mpg. 27 w/ a roof box.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I'll say it again, for the price of a Hyundai Sante Fe and the features it has you cant go wrong. Very nice vehicle with all the amenities, super fuel mileage and nice looking. We have had ours for 3+ years now and not a single issue. Standard 2.4l engine, I think they come with a 2.5l now. I don't know about the Turbo models, but my opinion is to stay away of Turbos in passenger vehicles as they are not needed. I'm somewhat "cheap" and I refuse to pay the price for the similar vehicles. We have not been disappointed at all.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
My wife drives an MDX (2020 or 2021)… I like it and she seems to like it a lot too. I’d definitely buy another one. If you go the Acura route just plan to go ahead and buy a spare tire kit to put on it. Mine didn’t come with a spare tire.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
It is on the bigger side, but I bought my wife a Toyota Grand Highlander and she loves it.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
In honor of the EV thread here you go. I know nothing about any of them.
I have owned a Hyundai Ioniq 5 since Dec '22. Great commuter and a cheapest mode of trasportation I have ever been around even cheaper than my motorcycle but they are close. If you aren't ready for an EV, it is different but it's the best car I have ever owned and that is not close.

Before jumping into the EV arena though, this is new and there will be issues. Main one is charging it. Spend the $$ to do at home or don't buy one. Saves very little if you pay for charging. I pay 10.84 cents per KWH at home but if you use most public charging will cost 42cents or more. May as well buy an ICE SUV. Wife's Mazda CX-5 has been a good one and I agree with those liking it.

EV's - Tesla has the best charging network for sure but I rarely chare on the road, maybe 6 times in 21 months have I paid for charging. We may go with a Tesla for my wife's next ride when she is ready to replace her Mazda. Her daugher has a Tesla X and that thing is next level nice with it's self driving feature. I didn't think I would like that part but it's really nice when you are tired and needing to get somewhere. You take your eyes off the road and the car will let you know quick that you are still must watch the road. We went over a railroad track with a bunch of pot holes and the car turned over driving to a person as it didn't like getting bounced. Will it cause some wrecks? Yes, but way fewer than people.

Lastly, always assess the current market on such things as rebates, insurace, extra fees on tags etc.. Like I said, EV's have issues but for me I am sticking with them at least for what I see now because of cost of operation is just so much cheaper. Maintenances is rotating tires, cleaning cabin filter and checking washer fluid. Brakes are rarely used as I use regenerative braking that recharges the batteries. That's about it so far in nearly two years and 40,000 miles.

Thinking of solar panels next, maybe buying a wrecked EV for it's batteries and use them to recharge mine. Seems like a plan anyway. Probably won't do it cause I am about to retire and I am not going to be driving as much.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
I have a 2018 Lincoln MKC 2.3 turbocharged loaded with 31250 miles. For additional info pm me. Thanks
I’m in the market a new/used smaller SUV for the wife. Seems like the Acura and Lincoln might be nice. You guys have any insigh

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I've got an Audi SQ5 that I love. Been reliable and handles well over 115mph.

Whatever you get splurge for the vented seats, you'll hate being in a car without it.
How long have you had it? Maintenance costs? I’m considering getting a fun to drive car and S4 Quattro is something I’ve considered.

Zebrahater

Sep 1, 2017
I have a 2022 Acru MDX & love it. In 2 years I've put over 70K on it. It has everything feature imaginable. Mine has 3rd row seating, which is basically useless unless it's for kids. Mine also has the entertainment package, with a large flip down screen that has access to live TV, Netflix, etc. We've never really it but would be nice for younger kids. Has about 300 HP which is plenty of power for its size. I drive my hard & fast but still manage to get 24-25 mpg. I had Sequoia, which I loved. Going from the size of the Sequoia to the MDX took some getting used to. I'm 6'3" 240lbs & it's plenty big for me. I have 2 kids still playing college sports (football & soccer) I needed a very dependable, comfortable & efficient vehicle for long travels multiple times a week.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
I’m in the market a new/used smaller SUV for the wife. Seems like the Acura and Lincoln might be nice. You guys have any insight?
Honda Element, I'm at 283K with the original drive-train. Aside from struts,brakes, belts, and routine mainetance, the only thing I've replaced is the starter, radiator (hit by a rock), and a/c compressor. And those lasted 18+ years. The downside is the MPG which sucks because its a toaster w/ wheels.

ps- Do not 17 with a subaru gen 4+. The CVT is complete **** and the boxer eng. is a POS. You will replace all of this by 150k. (Aside from that, when it does work it drives great and prolly has the best 4WD of any car)

Reactions: onewoof
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login