OT: Small tractors

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015
I’m looking at purchasing a smaller tractor. Probably around 35 HP. I’m findi gotcha what seems to be good deals on Kubotas and New Holland. Both are deals with buckets, loaders, bush hog, box blades, and trailer. Anyone on the pack had good luck with New Holland? Likes/dislikes? Both tractors with everything run around $27k. Any thoughts??

bbqbully

Sep 14, 2008
My son is a service tech for a John Deere dealer. A friend asked him this same question a few weeks ago and he said either Kubota or New Holland are the best small tractors on the market. He said don’t buy a Deere!

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
Both should be fine. Personal preference as to how they control/ride would be the kicker. I’d choose the New Holland personally but can’t go wrong either way.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I too have worked in a John Deere dealership for awhile and they are good tractors but in my opinion not worth the purchase price difference. The parts are outrageously more than most other brands I've seen and dealt with too. I got called out one time by a customer, he showed me 2 oil seals and asked me the difference. I looked and they were both identical Timken oil seals with the Timken name and part # on them. I told him there wasn't a difference. He replied "oh yes there is. This one I bought from your dealership for $11+ and paid shipping on it. The other one I called NAPA this morning and they delivered to me for free and only charged me $5+ for the seal." It's hard to reply to that.........

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
My wife’s grandfather beats the hell out of every tool/truck/boat/etc. he has ever owned. None of it lasts long, except his Kubota. He can’t kill that thing.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
With tractors and outboards, get as much HP as you CAN'T afford. Buy once, cry once. Get front wheel assist also. Kubota makes a 47 HP, everyone I know that has a kubota likes it and doesn't have many issues with it (for light work of course).

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I’ve got a 75hp New Holland Workmaster. It has been a good tractor so far, but I’ve only had it a couple of years. Definitely get a 4wd, whatever brand you get.

Last edited:

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I almost pulled the trigger last year on a 45 or 55hp Bobcat upgrade. Had real good pricing and 0% for 84 months, I think. Good specs, no DEF. Doing the research, I found it was a re-badged Kioti, but overall very good reviews. Only problem was service, closest dealer to me was either Pelham or Prattville.

That said, can't go wrong with Kubota. My only gripe is mine seems to have slightly underpowered hydraulics for the FEL.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
New Holland or Kubota depending on how good the service is in your area. Deere are overpriced.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I just bought a Kubota Grande L4760. So far I absolutely love it. I've got nothing against the New Holland, one of my buds bought one last year but the cab layout on the Kubota suits me way better. Nice to be able to get in or out from either side. The dealer had a 3560 I drove but opted for the 4760. It has a heavier duty front loader and front axle.

Maroonjones

Jan 9, 2021
I had a John Deere 3039r. Great tractor did everything I asked it to do! I traded it for a Deere 5065e only because I wanted a cab, I’m 6’2 the 5E cab suited me better. I wouldn’t buy kubota, I’ve ran kubota’s at work, and they stay at the shop more than times than not. My job is getting rid of kubota and bought case IH and John Deere.

Maroonjones

Jan 9, 2021
I’d like to also add, go watch tractor time with Tim on YouTube. He does a great job of comparing both Deere and kubota.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
My experience is different regarding Kubota vs Deere. My JD 3038 has been exceptional and was less $$ than my local Kubota dealer. Kubota is a great tractor as well. Do not buy a New Holland. I have experience with that brand and was unhappy with their durability. Whatever you get, make sure it is 4 WD and has a front end loader. My JD also has a bush hog and grapple (a great attachment). My JD has 425 hours with zero issues.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
The answer here is which dealer is closest. If both are close who has the best service? Next if you think you need 40hp then go 50hp
Both are excellent brands. I’m partial to NH because I have one. I had a Kubota and it was nice but I wanted something larger..it was 47 hp cab and air and NH had an excellent dealer Twin Hills near me
I now have a NH 75 workmaster.

one more thing a Case IH under 50 hp is the exact same as a NH so if you have a close IH dealer something to think about

Nothing against Deere fine units but not the E series

Last edited:

SteelMule32

Nov 22, 2013
My Kubota 4300DT went underwater when water came over emergency spillway where my tractor was parked. The spillway had never been used since the lake was built 65 years prior to 2019. I pulled it out drained all the fluids out of the tractor and replaced fluids with diesel fuel. Let the tractor sit for two weeks. I came back drained diesel fuel then put in new cheap tractor supply fluids. I pulled glow plugs and poured marvel mystery oil on top of each cylinder head.

Waited another two weeks and cranked the tractor without glow plugs to make sure I still had good compression. Put new glow plugs back in and tractor fired up first time. Drained all cheap fluids and replaced with Kubota brand fluids. Running like a top to this day.

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
Kubota. Experience handling multiple lines. Nothing more reliable and tough than Kubota. Just the way it is.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I sold John Deere tractors for years, but I currently own a Kubota that I bought in 2010. JD parts are expensive compared to Kubota. The Kubota tractor fuel efficiency is much better than the JD. The best advice I could give a tractor buyer is to figure how much HP you think you need and add 10-15 HP to that number. Also, never buy a tractor without a loader, and if you buy a loader make sure it is a 4WD. Don’t ever buy a 2WD tractor with a loader-you will regret it down the road, I promise.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
They aren’t as bulletproof as they used to be but still a very good tractor. We’ve had at least one kubota tractor on the farm at all times since 1980.

MadDawg.sixpack

May 22, 2006
Just bought a small JD

researched and price shopped for a few months and wound up with a pretty good deal on a used John Deere with low hours. Comparable in price to everything else I looked for, Kubota, Mahindra, IH, NH

skip dog

Nov 15, 2005
I’m looking at purchasing a smaller tractor. Probably around 35 HP. I’m findi gotcha what seems to be good deals on Kubotas and New Holland. Both are deals with buckets, loaders, bush hog, box blades, and trailer. Anyone on the pack had good luck with New Holland? Likes/dislikes? Both tractors with everything run around $27k. Any thoughts??

Kubota all the way, and I would advise getting the fully hydrostatic transmission (operates with a foot pedal for forward and reverse). Get a Kubota loader as well.....don't go aftermarket on this.

New Holland and John Deere make great big tractors, but they are not in the same league with Kubota in the utility tractor market. I have used all 3, and JD and NH just seem cumbersome and awkward (grading operations), whereas the Kubota feels like a nimble athlete.

above said, if you will be bush hogging, JD makes awesome bush hogs, but do know with Kubota, you will need to plan to clean the screens out regularly as you go, they just seem to really suck the debris to the engine compartment, and you just have to plan to stop for a moment and clean all the screens to maintain good airflow.

Never buy a tractor under 75 hp that is not 4wd. There simply is no reasonable argument to made at this level for a 2wd tractor.

I had a Kubota L4310 HST. Sold it b/c I just really didn't need at anymore (3200 hrs), and the offer was so amazing, I had to sell it......biggest mistake I ever made! Will buy another one

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Years ago when Montana Tractors came into the US, my neighbor was involved in the company and went to the factory in South Korea. He brought back a video of the production line. Montana's, New Holland, Massy Ferguson, McCormick, and multiple other brands were rolling out of the same factory. A lot of your Mahindra small tractors are South Korean made. Kubota makes all there own tractors as far as I know. I've got a JD 755 which is made by Yanmar in Japan and a Kubota MX 5200. I like the Kubota much better but it's a lot newer tractor. Both my neighbors have Branson tractors and love them and I've got to admit they are quality tractors for considerably less money than Kubota or JD. I would definitely give them a look. I've considered trading the 755 but I'll wait til the craziness ends.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
With tractors and outboards, get as much HP as you CAN'T afford. Buy once, cry once. Get front wheel assist also. Kubota makes a 47 HP, everyone I know that has a kubota likes it and doesn't have many issues with it (for light work of course).

This is the truth. I am actually the type of boater that the "standard" Outboard HP for boats is fine, but I've got to think outside of pontoon boats, the vast majority of boaters would be better off sacrificing a little size for more HP.

fang

Nov 29, 2010
kubota and if you're rough on it, need to find a shop to get your cylinders rebuilt. I DON'T like the 3 point hitch, what should take 3 minutes takes 10. mine is hydrostat which whines all the time but for ease of use its great.

catvet

May 11, 2009
What does anyone know about the Yanmar tractors? I know they make a lot of engines for different companies but are now apparently making their own

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
kubota and if you're rough on it, need to find a shop to get your cylinders rebuilt. I DON'T like the 3 point hitch, what should take 3 minutes takes 10. mine is hydrostat which whines all the time but for ease of use its great.
Look into a Pats Quick Change Hitch. Best $200 I ever spent. Just a FYI, you will need to but a longer top hitch because the Pats make your lower arms 3-4 inches longer.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
What does anyone know about the Yanmar tractors? I know they make a lot of engines for different companies but are now apparently making their own

Buddy of mine has had one for several years. He only uses it for for cutting his fields but it does the job. He's had to re do some of the wiring but no engine problems.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login