OT: Smoking Spare Ribs

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Going to try to smoke a rack of spare ribs on a small green egg tomorrow afternoon. The recommendations on a Boston Butt were excellent here so thought I would ask the Pack. I’ve tried a couple times years ago so I consider myself a beginner with ribs. I am pretty confident that I can get the grill temperature where I want it and maintain it.

First what preparation is needed on the rack? Its not cut, straight out of the package. I don’t plan on cutting it down to St. Louis style. I’m planning to do mustard and then just a simple store bought rub. Going to use apple wood because I liked it with the butt but I do have mesquite also (I think).

ETA: Since it’s a small egg I will be cutting the rack in half and will use the rib rack thing so they will be standing up in the grill.

Last edited:

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Stick with the applewood, mesquite is strong on pork.

Drive a kamado grill like a diesel; brake early and don't overshoot your temp. Peel off the membrane, smoke for 2 hrs and wrap. Ribs are fairly forgiving, so have fun with it. I finished some out with Dr. Pepper instead of ACV and they were pretty dang good.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Personally, I don't like mesquite on pork. Secondly, I'd recommend trimming them down. The big end of spare ribs take longer to cook than the baby back side. You'll end up drying out your ribs before you render the collagen in the rib tip section.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Personally, I don't like mesquite on pork. Secondly, I'd recommend trimming them down. The big end of spare ribs take longer to cook than the baby back side. You'll end up drying out your ribs before you render the collagen in the rib tip section.

Ok I didn’t realize that. If I trim them down can I cook the rib tip section along with the ribs and just go longer on those?

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Never smoke with mesquite. It's acrid and pungent, and it really isn't good for any meats. For pork, stay with apple, cherry, and/or pecan, and maybe a little hickory mixed in.

Mesquite is fine for grilling hot and fast--and not long--but never for smoking.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Never smoke with mesquite. It's acrid and pungent, and it really isn't good for any meats. For pork, stay with apple, cherry, and/or pecan, and maybe a little hickory mixed in.

Mesquite is fine for grilling hot and fast--and not long--but never for smoking.

I think I did only once, that’s why I still have a full bag of it. I’m going with all apple.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Been watching videos and it looks like the 3 2 1 method might work for me, I’m really trying to get the timings down. I really wasn’t planning on it taking that long but I’m good with it if it works. I’m going to try it at 250 for the first 3 hours.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Peel the membrane off the back of the ribs. Take a butter knife and wiggle it under the membrane in the middle of the slab. Work a finger under it and pull. If it tears and you have membrane left, grad a paper towel and use it to grab the membrane. You don’t have to use wood, I usually get plenty of smoke just from the lump. 3-2-1 is pretty bulletproof but don’t be afraid to alter the times. Temp is more important than time. Wrap at 165-175, unwrap at 200-203, sauce and cook until the sauce tightens up. The time time will vary with temp variations.

Chris Mannix

Dec 29, 2016
For sure take the membrane off. Cherry and peach mix for me on the wood at 225 for the entire cook. 2.5 hours with Jonesy Q Pig Pow with a peanut oil binder. Wrap with honey, butter, rub, and brown sugar. Another 1.5 hours. Unwrap glaze for 30 minutes with mix of bbq sauce and mixed brown sugar and butter glaze. I call em candy ribs.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I've switched to butcher paper instead of foil for the wrap, and it is superior. You get similar heat retention, so you can speed up the cook, but you don't steam them so you don't lose all that nice crust you created by smoking them. They sell the red butcher paper now at Kroger where you find the tinfoil.

Spareribs are a lot harder to get right vs a baby back, as people have said. A Saint Lois rib rack is essentially a spare rib rack that's been thoroughly trimmed, and is an easier cook. You can find instructions on the trim on youtube.

I cook alot of ribs on conventional smoker, pellet, and a large weber using offset cooking. Any of those methods can make great ribs. The egg is going to be most similar to a Weber. I cook for about 2 hours around 275 unwrapped. Get some good smoke on them and watch for burning if you used a rub with sugar. Some people like to set a water pan underneath, helps to regulate temp and provide a shield for the ribs to keep them from burning. Then I'll wrap in butcher paper, put them back on at 275 if I have a few hours, might go to 300 if I'm hungry. Getting a temp is harder on ribs, so I just pick them up with a big tong. If they're bendy, you are about right. If the whole rack stays pretty solid when you pick it up, close the lid and check back in half an hour.

Have some fun with it, isn't magic, just getting used to your cooker and understanding what you like. You'll get the hang of it, probably make great ribs the first time out. Also, I've had a lot of Weller this evening.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Don’t listen to people saying cook for x amount of time. Each rack cooks different and each grill cooks different. I also wouldn’t wrap if I didn’t have butcher paper. Foil makes the bark mushy to me.

I’d cook between 225 to 250.
Make sure to pull the membrane off.
Speedster the tips and make st louis if you can go help with cook time.
Spritz every hour or so. Moisture attracts smoke which builds bark and adds flavor.
I wouldn’t bother adding mustard. I used to but I don’t see a difference anymore.
Smoke until you see ribs and it passes the bend test - just google it. Cook to feel. A probe isn’t very helpful with ribs and you can’t just cook to time.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Don’t listen to people saying cook for x amount of time. Each rack cooks different and each grill cooks different. I also wouldn’t wrap if I didn’t have butcher paper. Foil makes the bark mushy to me.

I’d cook between 225 to 250.
Make sure to pull the membrane off.
Speedster the tips and make st louis if you can go help with cook time.
Spritz every hour or so. Moisture attracts smoke which builds bark and adds flavor.
I wouldn’t bother adding mustard. I used to but I don’t see a difference anymore.
Smoke until you see ribs and it passes the bend test - just google it. Cook to feel. A probe isn’t very helpful with ribs and you can’t just cook to time.

I’m definitely wrapping in foil this time, just because I’m comfortable with that. 225 on the small egg is tough for me so I’m leaning more towards 250-275 and hope I can maintain. What do you spritz with? I’m soaking the wood overnight and will take it out in the morning. I know some people say don’t soak the wood but I’ve tried both ways and I think it worked better, at least for my grill.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Agreed on butcher paper vs foil.

Interesting info on the wood type. I've always used mesquite and do like the smoky flavor, but recently tried applewood on a pork shoulder and really liked it. It seemed to burn faster but I'm gonna try that on ribs today.

Any thoughts on hickory??

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login