OT: Solar Eclipse

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Anybody got plans for the upcoming eclipse, and how you plan to get back home in time to watch us play for the NC later that night?

I waited later than I should have to book rooms, got one in Searcy, AR and one near Paducah, KY. Haven't really researched where I want to set up at for actually watching it. I didn't travel to see the last one so don't want to miss this one if weather is good. Main advice I've gotten is be prepared for major traffic jams afterwards, no gas, nowhere to eat, etc. I'm kind of thinking southern IL may be a little less crowded than Arkansas --- seems like Arkansas has marketed this a lot more.

Reactions: dorndawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Saw the one in 2017 at Furman University. They were hosting an eclipse event at the football stadium. We just watched it in an open area on campus near there (similar to our drill field). Had the amenities of easy access to bathrooms + the vendors at the football stadium, but got away from the crowds. I highly recommend it if you missed the last one. And yes, the traffic jam stories are not exaggerated. it was much worse after the eclipse than before it. It'll probably be even worse for this one. Best bet is probably to get to where you're going to watch it early and plan to stay late to avoid the worst of the traffic.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Think I'll sit it out and watch it on TV next day. Any solar or lunar ones I've ever watched were just very underwhelming. Definitely not traveling anywhere

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I was living in Western North Carolina during the one in 2017. I was at work when it happened. We all went out to watch it. But, trying to get home after work that day was a living hell. A bunch of tourists clogging up rural mountain roads turned my normal drive from campus to my house in a 2.5 hour journey. Normally it took me 15 minutes on a "busy" day during tourist season. There was absolutely no gas in town. My wife's company just shut down that day. It was absolutely bonkers with all the people coming to a tiny mountain town that has a normal population under 3K.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Anybody got plans for the upcoming eclipse, and how you plan to get back home in time to watch us play for the NC later that night?

I waited later than I should have to book rooms, got one in Searcy, AR and one near Paducah, KY. Haven't really researched where I want to set up at for actually watching it. I didn't travel to see the last one so don't want to miss this one if weather is good. Main advice I've gotten is be prepared for major traffic jams afterwards, no gas, nowhere to eat, etc. I'm kind of thinking southern IL may be a little less crowded than Arkansas --- seems like Arkansas has marketed this a lot more.
Going to DFW for this one.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I tried to get a day-pass for Inks Lake, about an hour outside Austin, in the prime 4min30sec of darkness.
They sold out literally in about 30 seconds, I never had a chance.
So now we are going to a friends' ranch in Liberty Hill, Tx, about 3min50sec of darkness.

Apparently they are expecting somewhere between 1 and 100 million extra people in the area for this thing.
If you live in Austin, you get about 1min40sec of darkness, just in your back yard, so that's pretty awesome. I think Leander is more.
They speculate that a few million from Houston are going to spread across Texas for it, adding to crowds. Crazy stuff.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

patdog

May 28, 2007
Think I'll sit it out and watch it on TV next day. Any solar or lunar ones I've ever watched were just very underwhelming. Definitely not traveling anywhere
A total solar eclipse is a completely different animal than even a 95% partial one. Totality is something you definitely want to experience at least once.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
There are a few music festivals that have popped up to celebrate the total eclipse.

If only the Eclipse were on a weekend though…

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014

Heard Reelfoot Lake would be a good spot. Might catch some glimpses of a few Bald Eagles too.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It is a very interesting light quality you have to experience to understand.
I remember the partial from 2017 freaking my dog out. It was very strange, can't imagine the full effect. One of the coolest phenomena I saw was that shadows through my live oak in Dallas in 2017. Little eclipse shadows everywhere instead of full light breaking through.

1000013093.png

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
It's scam pulled off with giant mirrors, the earth is flat.
I've seen people on Facebook say that the moon is a drone. I'm not sure if they are serious or not, God I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me. It's incredible how stupid people can be.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
A total solar eclipse is a completely different animal than even a 95% partial one. Totality is something you definitely want to experience at least once.
My wife and kids went to the Kentucky for the 2017 eclipse. She showed me video of everyone freaking out and it seems intense.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Should be a great day to turkey hunt. This ought to confuse the heck out of them. They will have to leave the roost twice.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
I'm taking the whole fam from Starkville to fort worth. We did it in 2017 (Nashville), and it's incredible.

Reactions: kired

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
Agree. It’s something that can’t really be described.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Partial eclipses are extremely underwhelming. Same thing for the annular eclipse, which is just a fancy partial. I traveled 8 hours to Nashville in 2017 to see what totality was all about. I’ve traveled to 43 states and multiple other countries. I’ve seen and done a lot. Totality is the most breathtaking experience I’ve had on planet earth. It’s absolutely indescribable. There’s a misconception that it goes absolutely dark and the sun disappears. That’s not it at all. The disc of the sun disappears, but the sun’s outer atmosphere bursts into view. And you see it with your bare eyes without any filter. I’m fortunate that this one is an hour or so from my house. But I’d drive 8 hours again to see it a 2nd time. There no video or picture that even remotely resembles what you see and experience. I can’t recommend it enough.

Reactions: kired and patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I
Partial eclipses are extremely underwhelming. Same thing for the annular eclipse, which is just a fancy partial. I traveled 8 hours to Nashville in 2017 to see what totality was all about. I’ve traveled to 43 states and multiple other countries. I’ve seen and done a lot. Totality is the most breathtaking experience I’ve had on planet earth. It’s absolutely indescribable. There’s a misconception that it goes absolutely dark and the sun disappears. That’s not it at all. The disc of the sun disappears, but the sun’s outer atmosphere bursts into view. And you see it with your bare eyes without any filter. I’m fortunate that this one is an hour or so from my house. But I’d drive 8 hours again to see it a 2nd time. There no video or picture that even remotely resembles what you see and experience. I can’t recommend it enough.
I sincerely hope all of you enjoy it and get your money's worth. But, just for me personally it still seems like a lot of hype, travel, expenditures, waiting in line etc for a few minutes of semi-darkness in the mid-afternoon. I'm still a nope....

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
The local media around here is telling us to make sure we are stocked up on food, water, gas, ammo, etc. (OK, not that last one.)

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
It’s incredible. I went to Kentucky for the other one. I wasn’t ready. People audibly gasped when it hit. If weather is clear I’m going back. I’m not going to a big town though. That’s crazy. I’m going to a dot on the map like a sturgis or Crawford or pheba and pulling over somewhere. Freaking service station or DG. When it’s over it’s over. No need to hang around. Turn and burn back. Getting a hotel for something 3 hours away that’s at 1:00 in the afternoon is silly to me.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
I

I sincerely hope all of you enjoy it and get your money's worth. But, just for me personally it still seems like a lot of hype, travel, expenditures, waiting in line etc for a few minutes of semi-darkness in the mid-afternoon. I'm still a nope....
You can certainly be a “nope.” But I dare you to find anyone who got a clear-sky view of totality who doesn’t classify it as absolutely must-see. The event is actually under-hyped in all honesty.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
You can certainly be a “nope.” But I dare you to find anyone who got a clear-sky view of totality who doesn’t classify it as absolutely must-see. The event is actually under-hyped in all honesty.
7 years ago literally every single person, both in my family and everyone around us said it was much more dramatic than they expected. And I expected a lot. It’s shocking how awe inspiring a total eclipse really is compared to a partial or a lunar eclipse.

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
Wife and I hit a city park in Cleveland Tenn for the last one, was a great spot and a very cool experience.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
7 years ago literally every single person, both in my family and everyone around us said it was much more dramatic than they expected. And I expected a lot. It’s shocking how awe inspiring a total eclipse really is compared to a partial or a lunar eclipse.
Very strange I just walk out my door and experience it. It will be during my 2 year oldest daily nap time.

elvis76

Oct 15, 2022
Seen 2 in my life and both were amazing. First one was midday, watched with a welder's arc while sitting in a hot tub
with Dark Side of the Moon blasting from the outdoor speakers. The second was at our place in North Georgia where
we had, again, 100% coverage. Was extremely eerie to watch and even to feel. We had a blind person with us and he
could feel and sense the changes. Very remote so the quietness was more noticeable that in a city. Could hear all the
sounds from the woods and see the strange reflections, as noted in an earlier post, on the ground and on car surfaces.

Something to catch live for sure if the opportunity is there.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login