OT: Sports dads and moms...best folding chair for the ball fields

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Spring is upon us and hours at the ball fields will be inevitable.

Any recs on a good folding chair? I'm not ready to spend $300 on the yeti one (although I sat in one and it was damn fine).

The GCI Rocker, Kijaro Dual Lock, and Alps King Kong seem to be the gold standards in the sub $100 price range. I don't need one with a cooler hanging off of it.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I've got a couple GCI Rockers, and I agree with MOC - the cupholders with no structure suck.

My favorite (not too expensive) non-rocking chair to me is the Renetto with the sunshade. It folds up easier than the others, has lots of pocket room for phones n shitt, which I like. I just wish it rocked. I wonder if there's a reason, but I can't find a rocker with shade. Maybe there's a logistical reason for that or something.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Depends, if you’re going to be somewhere all day, the bigger more comfortable chairs are great. I’ll use the ENO hammock chair for that. It’s awesome. But if I’m just rolling up for the quick 45 minute soccer game, the cheap and easy fold out chair is what I’m rolling with.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

rowdy53103

Aug 16, 2017
The chairs from Sam's are hands down the most comfortable folding chairs we have ever had. The seat doesn't cut into the back of your legs like the cheaper collapsible chairs and GCI rockers and they offer much more back support. The wife bought a couple of the GCI rockers last fall because everyone else has them and "we needed them". After using them a couple of times, we started leaving them in the truck as spares for local family. We don't even bother taking them when we travel. The Sam's chairs also ride in wagon better than the rockers. I do need to replace a couple of the Sam's chairs this year. The mesh in the bottom of the cup holder has torn out after 7-8 years of use.

1704817745293.png

Reactions: patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I've got a couple GCI Rockers, and I agree with MOC - the cupholders with no structure suck.

My favorite (not too expensive) non-rocking chair to me is the Renetto with the sunshade. It folds up easier than the others, has lots of pocket room for phones n shitt, which I like. I just wish it rocked. I wonder if there's a reason, but I can't find a rocker with shade. Maybe there's a logistical reason for that or something.
ETA: I just went to look up the name and it's the Canopy Chair by Renetto that I have. Folds easily into a backpack to carry.

I saw they're 15% off today with the code 'earlyspring'. Not bad for a good chair.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
As a RVer I think I’ve tried every folding chair made over the years. For comfort you can’t beat the zero gravity chaise type chairs. They are nap worthy. The GCI rockers are pretty hard to beat overall but they are kind of heavy if you have to tote a bunch of stuff. For compact portability look at a CLIQ chair. Surprisingly comfortable but it does sit low if that’s an issue. I bought some aluminum rockers at camping world years ago that sit like the GCI chair but only weighs less than a pound. Can’t beat them if you have to tote them far. No idea if they are still available. If you the nostalgic type but I have two genuine National Championship folding chairs that have been witness to a MSU national championship and you don’t even have to drive to the Council Bluff Walmart to get a reproduction. Certificate of Authenticity included.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Oh, and not for nothing, but my buddy who owns an outdoor store has a 2-person loveseat chair that he brings to the games, and sits in by himself. It has heaters built in. That's what I really want, but I can't see spending 3 bills on a soccer chair.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
GCI podrocker. It's more of a hammock style seat rather than a rigid framed chair. If you're not to tall and slouch just a bit then it can support the back of your head. Cupholder still sucks on this one though.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I've got some GCI Freestyle Rockers and they're great. My only complaint is the the drink holder is pretty meh.
And they're not very portable. I end up toting them over my shoulder or even sticking my head through them just because they don't fold up well. But they're the most comfortable one I've found for sure.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The chairs from Sam's are hands down the most comfortable folding chairs we have ever had. The seat doesn't cut into the back of your legs like the cheaper collapsible chairs and GCI rockers and they offer much more back support. The wife bought a couple of the GCI rockers last fall because everyone else has them and "we needed them". After using them a couple of times, we started leaving them in the truck as spares for local family. We don't even bother taking them when we travel. The Sam's chairs also ride in wagon better than the rockers. I do need to replace a couple of the Sam's chairs this year. The mesh in the bottom of the cup holder has torn out after 7-8 years of use.

View attachment 500806
Is that maroon the official University sanctioned maroon, is it Russell maroon, Starter maroon, The Lodge maroon, or just Sam's maroon?

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
The one that can do the most bodily damage when you smash it across the back of a crappy umpire! (I kid)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login