OT: SPS Economists and Psychologists chime in

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Again, the FOXNEWS article that I linked clearly states the actual website vs the one you claimed, and clearly states the actual event with context.
I know that context constantly irks you and others here, but its important.

The website has Harris' 2 year term voting record up for everyone to easily see. Its right there and shows her as extremely liberal. The website explained why the 1 year information was removed and it is consistent with their policy change.
That should help you realize your rant is either dishonest or you were working off of incomplete information, and you should question the source that gave you the information.

No thumb is being placed on any scale here. No mainstream media is in the bag here.
The website clearly shows her voting record and clearly states she is extremely liberal...yet you claim they are placing their thumb on the scale.
The website is not at all 'mainstream media', to the point that you didnt even name the correct website in your initial rant.
He doesn't care for the facts. Which explains his views.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Yes. She has muted her opinions in hopes to be in office so she can then enact those unpopular opinions with impunity. And knowing that she is all but lying to get elected, still morons will vote for her. She was front and center during Kavanaugh and I won’t forget it. Neither will others. Best of luck to her.

ETA: I’m not even a Trump fan. But I honestly loathe her. Not sure how any father could look their daughter in the eyes and say, “See honey, if you just sleep with the right people, you can be president too.”
Or, she ran left ahead of the Presidential primary? Maybe that signaling exercise reflects views she hid before, maybe her prior moderate views reflect her true views and her Senate voting reflects political posturing?

Why do you assume you know which it is?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Postings don't equal available jobs. If their criteria is a unicorn that will take low pay....it's not really an open job.

For the above, I'd imagine they won't take people that fail a drug test, among other selection criteria. That's why they have to post for it, because in this economy drug free good workers can make more than $20/hr.
It seems like you are trying to disagree with me. What are you trying to say?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
It seems like you are trying to disagree with me. What are you trying to say?
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but my own observations conflict some with yours. I, amd many others, have observed since well before Covid that job postings do not always reflect actual realistic job openings. They'll post the job as open....but never fill it despite qualified applicants.

Another observation: jobs that pay well for the role, don't have to advertise on billboards.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but my own observations conflict some with yours. I, amd many others, have observed since well before Covid that job postings do not always reflect actual realistic job openings. They'll post the job as open....but never fill it despite qualified applicants.

Another observation: jobs that pay well for the role, don't have to advertise on billboards.
Got it.

The other part of my anecdotal observation is that I don't personally know many people struggling to find work (maybe zero), but nearly everyone I know is affected by rising costs.

Reactions: Boom Boom

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
How do you enact with impunity? There's a Congress and a conservative court that have checks on the office.
Oh Don’t worry darling. They are hell bent on getting rid of those. Biden is actively trying to undermine the court because they won’t let his NY DA upcharge Trump on stuff most people would walk on.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Bottom line. 2017-2019 was awesome. Would love to run it back. 2021-2023? Nah. Maybe y’all feel differently. But I was told democracy was dying in the first period and didn’t see it. I saw democracy get trampled in the second by the ones allegedly saving it. Trump was an average to good president, despite my doubts. Biden has been a train wreck.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Oh Don’t worry darling. They are hell bent on getting rid of those. Biden is actively trying to undermine the court because they won’t let his NY DA upcharge Trump on stuff most people would walk on.
How does a president undermine the court? Perhaps with Congress or constitution amendments and neither of those are happening in today's climate. And if that happened that's the way it's supposed to work. Anything outside of that would require force.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Honestly I won’t. Unless huge sweeping actions are taken I don’t think the president affects gas prices or the economy as easily as people think. If they did, do you think they would willfully have high gas prices and a bad economy? Bush has very high gas prices heading into an election year and had a background in the oil business. If any president could truly curb prices he would have been able to.
I’m with you… I don’t believe the president really impacts people the way everyone acts like they do… I was born in 86. Too young to know about Reagan, bush and Clinton too. W, Obama, Trump and Biden are the presidents I can say I was old enough to care/understand what a president does. So, 2 dems and 2 republicans. I’ve noticed very little difference in my day to day life over the tenure of all those presidents.

What I am pretty confident about is special interest and money controls politics, not politicians. That does not change, regardless of who is president.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
When you feel compelled to equate two sides that are not equivalent on an issue.....that's not a good thing. It's just as bad as the nucking futs people.

Just for the sake of argument, it IS possible to have one Party go off the rails without the other Party doing so. You should ask yourself how you should react in such a situation. Is continuously moving and making excuses to stay between both those Parties the right thing to do?
It seems to me what you’re upset about is someone pointing out that both sides are full of hypocrites and you’re upset that some of us refuse to pick a party and stick with it. It shouldn’t be wrong or frowned upon for someone to be ok with taxing wealthy a higher percentage, figuring out a way to provide heath care the way several other developed countries do, not giving a **** if weed is legal for recreational use but also at the same time be against someone being able to abort a baby 7 months into their pregnancy or not want the government to pay for a dude to have his dick cut off and act like a women.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You could have saved time and just said, I’m willfully ignorant. But you’re you. So you’re gonna take 3 paragraphs to sum up what could be said in on sentence. You can’t be critical of the left. It will never happen. Ask yourself what that means.
Bro, I explained that you are misrepresenting what actually happened, and provided a foxnews link to show you what did happen.

I can lead you to water, but I can't make you drink it.
It is comical that despite efforts to inform you, you refuse to acknowledge what has actually taken place, yet you accuse me of willful ignorance.

There isn't anything for me or others to be critical of with regard to this issue and 'the left'. If the story took place how you describe, I would be critical...but it didn't happen how you describe.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
It seems to me what you’re upset about is someone pointing out that both sides are full of hypocrites
No. I agree with you that both sides (politicians) are full of hypocrites! Try again.
and you’re upset that some of us refuse to pick a party and stick with it.
No. Im annoyed by those that place undue importamce amd superioriess on being in the center.
It shouldn’t be wrong or frowned upon for someone to be ok with taxing wealthy a higher percentage
yep
, figuring out a way to provide heath care the way several other developed countries do
yep
, not giving a **** if weed is legal for recreational use
yep
but also at the same time be against someone being able to abort a baby 7 months into their pregnancy or not want the government to pay for a dude to have his dick cut off and act like a women.
And you lost the plot. The left doesn't support 7 month abortions. They've never been legal.
I'm with you on transgender care, but i take pause at the suicide rates involved from those without care and how the "experts" (for what that's worth) say this care helps with that. Why don't you?

Do you not see that when you came to criticize the left, you couldn't even come with an accurate complaint?

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Fact: There are 6 million more people employed in the US than there were pre-pandemic.

Observation: It doesn't "feel" that way. i.e. the service industry still seems very hit or miss, etc.

Why is there such a gap between the reality and the way it feels?

Is it simply that we are 4 years further down the road of population growth and that 6MM doesn't put a dent in the need?

Were we that underemployed pre-pandemic so we don't notice?

Are there simply way more available jobs for people who would have previously been in the service industry?
Alright, I'm a psychologist.

There's a big gap in how people are experiencing the economy, based on what kind of assets they had pre-pandemic.

If you owned a house and had some stock in the bank - yes, you noticed that the grocery store was more expensive, but you also were watching your house moon on Zillow (with your 3% interest rate) and your 401K taking a jump. You are paying more, but you also feel pretty wealthy, so you kept buying, which is why this has been a really weird mix of high inflation and high consumption. That's around 60% of the country.

If you had few assets, rented, and were living pay-check to paycheck, you saw your rent spike, your grocery bills spike, the kids clothes and shoes spike, and you aren't getting enough additional income from your job to make up the difference, so you feel like your sinking, which you are. That's around 35% of the country.

And on a related note - the middle class has been disappearing in this country for the last 50 years. We've added some to high income, and some to low income. If you wonder why Sears and JCPenny and shopping malls have disappeared, it isn't just Amazon. These were stores built for the middle class and there just are as many left anymore. It tracks pretty close to manufacturing and other skilled labor positions.
1723256326122.png

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I guess I question what is being measured. Is it really 6 M more people working and therefore 6M more jobs? Are more people working 2/3 jobs now and actually not 6M more people working? The nurses I work with all supplement with part time work to keep up with inflation.
How does illegal immigration affect, are there more illegal Immigrants doing jobs that are now available because of the supply of labor and cash ?
Our politicians will spin it to their advantage left or right, Truth is like the wind.
Surprised / Saddened to hear that Nurses Story. As a Residential Mortgage Loan Officer whose worked decades in National Call Centers I've always seen them putting in lots of OT at high hourly rates. I'm hoping you're talking entry level nurses without degrees.

Last edited:

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
What really matters is the number of jobs available where one is living. People making $10 to $15 per hour cannot afford to pick up and move, chasing jobs from here to there.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Alright, I'm a psychologist.

There's a big gap in how people are experiencing the economy, based on what kind of assets they had pre-pandemic.

If you owned a house and had some stock in the bank - yes, you noticed that the grocery store was more expensive, but you also were watching your house moon on Zillow (with your 3% interest rate) and your 401K taking a jump. You are paying more, but you also feel pretty wealthy, so you kept buying, which is why this has been a really weird mix of high inflation and high consumption. That's around 60% of the country.

If you had few assets, rented, and were living pay-check to paycheck, you saw your rent spike, your grocery bills spike, the kids clothes and shoes spike, and you aren't getting enough additional income from your job to make up the difference, so you feel like your sinking, which you are. That's around 35% of the country.

And on a related note - the middle class has been disappearing in this country for the last 50 years. We've added some to high income, and some to low income. If you wonder why Sears and JCPenny and shopping malls have disappeared, it isn't just Amazon. These were stores built for the middle class and there just are as many left anymore. It tracks pretty close to manufacturing and other skilled labor positions.
View attachment 625083
Great response. Thank you!

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
The microprocessor is mostly at fault here IMO. It's also crazy women entered the work force in droves and it didn't seem to mitigate the shrinking if the middle class and their assets.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240802_175905_Brave.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240802_175905_Brave.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 4

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Bottom line. 2017-2019 was awesome. Would love to run it back. 2021-2023? Nah. Maybe y’all feel differently. But I was told democracy was dying in the first period and didn’t see it. I saw democracy get trampled in the second by the ones allegedly saving it. Trump was an average to good president, despite my doubts. Biden has been a train wreck.
I think the Trump presidency pre-COVID has been blocked from everyone’s mind. Foreign relations were good, economy was thriving, and then March 2020 happened. Not sure why he gets blamed for a global pandemic, but here we are.

Yet to see Boom Boom, glfr, or horshack give any substance in terms of policy as to why they believe a Harris-Walz administration would be good for the USA. It’s hard to determine what that ticket is running on since they’ve flipped from every stance they had since 2020. They for some reason are leaning Right now on immigration? Why is that?

But seriously, I’d love to hear some actual reasons for optimism for Harris-Walz without using the words “Trump”, “weird”, or other cheesy buzz words. Give me policy. This is what matters. Idgaf who Harris or Trump has slept with, I care about how it’ll impact my family and my paycheck. Also, don’t give me some BS unrealistic Utopian answer. Let’s live in reality. How will they handle the border? Foreign conflict? Why will it be better than what the current administration is doing? BTW, HARRIS IS CURRENTLY VP. This is what we will get!

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I think the Trump presidency pre-COVID has been blocked from everyone’s mind. Foreign relations were good, economy was thriving, and then March 2020 happened. Not sure why he gets blamed for a global pandemic, but here we are.

Yet to see Boom Boom, glfr, or horshack give any substance in terms of policy as to why they believe a Harris-Walz administration would be good for the USA. It’s hard to determine what that ticket is running on since they’ve flipped from every stance they had since 2020. They for some reason are leaning Right now on immigration? Why is that?

But seriously, I’d love to hear some actual reasons for optimism for Harris-Walz without using the words “Trump”, “weird”, or other cheesy buzz words. Give me policy. This is what matters. Idgaf who Harris or Trump has slept with, I care about how it’ll impact my family and my paycheck. Also, don’t give me some BS unrealistic Utopian answer. Let’s live in reality. How will they handle the border? Foreign conflict? Why will it be better than what the current administration is doing? BTW, HARRIS IS CURRENTLY VP. This is what we will get!
Why am I supposed to sell you or others on Harris and Walz?

The one reason that comes to mind for why Harris will be good for the US is that she isn't Biden or Trump. She isn't old as balls, she has energy, her odds of dying in the white house are low, and she isn't constantly rambling and confused when talking.
Biden and Trump are all those things, and Harris isn't.

...that's really all I got, and I recognize it isn't policy based.
It isn't my responsibility to sell you or others on Harris.

The markets doing well in the late teens was largely due to global influences and the US Fed keeping interest rates too low for too long.
Those things would have happened regardless of who was in the white house, so I don't credit Trump for them. Similarly, I don't blame Trump for the economic retraction in 2020 because that would have happened regardless of who was in the white house and was also largely due to global influences.

You want policy specifics, yet I don't see policy specifics from either side. It's a bunch of insane empty threats and promises from one side and a bunch of buzzwords and promises from the other side.
Neither have offered up much policy.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Why am I supposed to sell you or others on Harris and Walz?

The one reason that comes to mind for why Harris will be good for the US is that she isn't Biden or Trump. She isn't old as balls, she has energy, her odds of dying in the white house are low, and she isn't constantly rambling and confused when talking.
Biden and Trump are all those things, and Harris isn't.

...that's really all I got, and I recognize it isn't policy based.
It isn't my responsibility to sell you or others on Harris.

The markets doing well in the late teens was largely due to global influences and the US Fed keeping interest rates too low for too long.
Those things would have happened regardless of who was in the white house, so I don't credit Trump for them. Similarly, I don't blame Trump for the economic retraction in 2020 because that would have happened regardless of who was in the white house and was also largely due to global influences.

You want policy specifics, yet I don't see policy specifics from either side. It's a bunch of insane empty threats and promises from one side and a bunch of buzzwords and promises from the other side.
Neither have offered up much policy.
So you admit you cannot name anything of substance that Harris is running on or has accomplished during the Biden administration? You’re voting for her just because she’s “not trump”. Don’t you see how pathetic that is?

The modern Left movement is full of utopian sugary identity politics that when you strip it away at its core, amounts to weak leadership. You believe Harris will stand up to Iran(here’s a hint, we’re getting a preview of it right now, and it’s incredibly dangerous)? How do you feel she’ll handle the economy? Is there anything in her track record you can point to that gives you confidence in her ability to lead the USA? Come on man, I know you’re smarter than this. Or is your TDS that bad?

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I want the border controlled and illegals deported. There’s only one side offering that.

Reactions: MSUGUY

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
the validity of the ranking is inconsequential. The fact they stealth edited after she was handed the nomination is. They put their thumb on the scale. Period. You either admit the mainstream media is in the bag for the left or you are an idiot or just being willfully ignorant. Those are the only 3 options at this point.
Are you calling GovTrack and Axios “mainstream media”? Because I’d strongly beg to differ.

The actual “mainstream media” isn’t in the bag for red or blue. Only green. And they are damn good at what they do. When you realize that 85% of the people in this country are either functional or non-functional morons, with no critical thinking skills whatsoever, you can easily see the pragmatism behind what the real “mainstream media” is doing.

Reactions: dudehead

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Surprised / Saddened to hear that Nurses Story. As a Residential Mortgage Loan Officer whose worked decades in National Call Centers I've always seen them putting in lots of OT at high hourly rates. I'm hoping you're talking entry level nurses without degrees.
No its FT experienced female nurse that are single homeowners or single Mom’s.
I don’t know how some people make it.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1704414204

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
So you admit you cannot name anything of substance that Harris is running on or has accomplished during the Biden administration?
Im not. Its quire clear that their economic bills and policies have been quite good. Theyve reversed federal policy of corporate consolidation, for one.
You’re voting for her just because she’s “not trump”. Don’t you see how pathetic that is?
Depends. I do think boring status quo is better than Hitler. But you do you.
The modern Left movement is full of utopian sugary identity politics that when you strip it away at its core, amounts to weak leadership.
this doesnt even make sense.
You believe Harris will stand up to Iran(here’s a hint, we’re getting a preview of it right now, and it’s incredibly dangerous)?
maybe. I think its most likely she will act or not act to preserve the status quo. There is good and bad in that.
How do you feel she’ll handle the economy?
pretty well. Much better than any Republican. She wont pass a 10% tariff, for one. She wont let Tucker Carlson choose how we react to the next crisis, for another.
Is there anything in her track record you can point to that gives you confidence in her ability to lead the USA? Come on man, I know you’re smarter than this. Or is your TDS that bad?
You seem to think Presidents do nearly everything. They do very little. They're mainly figurehead. And she'll do fine at that.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So you admit you cannot name anything of substance that Harris is running on or has accomplished during the Biden administration? You’re voting for her just because she’s “not trump”. Don’t you see how pathetic that is?

The modern Left movement is full of utopian sugary identity politics that when you strip it away at its core, amounts to weak leadership. You believe Harris will stand up to Iran(here’s a hint, we’re getting a preview of it right now, and it’s incredibly dangerous)? How do you feel she’ll handle the economy? Is there anything in her track record you can point to that gives you confidence in her ability to lead the USA? Come on man, I know you’re smarter than this. Or is your TDS that bad?
My last comment post was mostly serious and a bit joking.
Yes I couldnlist reasons/issues I agree with Harris on.

As for it being pathetic that I would vote for someone because they aren't Trump...that very argument has been made countless times on SPS over the last 8 months- people have continually said 'I don't like Trump, but I'll vote for him because the other option is Biden'.
If it's pathetic, it's something that probably half of all voters do...so thars a lot of pathetic people.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Fact: There are 6 million more people employed in the US than there were pre-pandemic.

Observation: It doesn't "feel" that way. i.e. the service industry still seems very hit or miss, etc.

Why is there such a gap between the reality and the way it feels?

Is it simply that we are 4 years further down the road of population growth and that 6MM doesn't put a dent in the need?

Were we that underemployed pre-pandemic so we don't notice?

Are there simply way more available jobs for people who would have previously been in the service industry?
6 million illegal aliens? Supposedly many jobs are being filled by undocumented workers.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Look At Me Running GIF by 60 Second Docs

It will never end. Well, I give it 3 weeks. Y'all better step it up if you're gonna convert anyone to your side.

• Haha
Reactions: mcdawg22

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’m with you… I don’t believe the president really impacts people the way everyone acts like they do… I was born in 86. Too young to know about Reagan, bush and Clinton too. W, Obama, Trump and Biden are the presidents I can say I was old enough to care/understand what a president does. So, 2 dems and 2 republicans. I’ve noticed very little difference in my day to day life over the tenure of all those presidents.

What I am pretty confident about is special interest and money controls politics, not politicians. That does not change, regardless of who is president.
I was born when Nixon was president. I remember him barely. I remember the gloom and doom of Carter, but noticed not much because I was so young. The second Reagan administration I became an adult and really started to pay attention. I agree completely with your assessment. Through Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, Obama, Trump, and now almost a full Biden administration, my daily life has changed very little over what one of them did or didn’t do. The only thing I remember really pissing me off was the Trump payroll “tax cuts” raised my take home pay by about $1200 then it raised my April 15 bill by $1500. Otherwise, there is very little they do that affects me.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Are you calling GovTrack and Axios “mainstream media”? Because I’d strongly beg to differ.

The actual “mainstream media” isn’t in the bag for red or blue. Only green. And they are damn good at what they do. When you realize that 85% of the people in this country are either functional or non-functional morons, with no critical thinking skills whatsoever, you can easily see the pragmatism behind what the real “mainstream media” is doing.
I have scanned this post and can find only truths.

Reactions: dudehead
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login