OT: Stationary cycling bikes.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
My wife recently said she thinks she wants a Peleton for Christmas. I’ve always liked the idea of getting something like that, but I’ve always figured surprising her with an exercise bike would get a reaction similar to surprising her with a new apron and mop.
So does anybody any good feedback on the Peleton or any other brands (like perks or inconveniences)? She said the main thing is she wants a bike that can offer structured classes.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
The Peloton is an excellent bike. We’ve had ours for a few years now and the wife loves it. If your wife likes cycle classes where a coach is encouraging you, the Peloton can’t be beat.

NOLA Dawg

Jan 2, 2020
Agree. The coaching is really helpful. You cam get a great workout in as few as 30 minutes. The classes are offered at various levels so you can find a level good for you.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Classes are good. I also have mine set up in front of a mounted TV in the garage and I’ll put it on “just ride” and watch one of our football/basketball/baseball games

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Funny- the ad to the right of the first post in this thread is for ProForm.

Bowflex, ProForm, Echelon Smart Connect, NordicTrack are others to look into so you can have peace of mind that you did your homework. In addition to Peloton, look into these 4 as there is legit benefit to each(besides being significantly less expensive than Peloton).

- Bowflex VeloCore can work your core with side to side motion. Classes are recorded and half the cost of Peloton per month.
- ProForm has a swivel screen for off bike workouts and is free with 3 years of monthly class subscriptions that are the same cost as Peloton's classes
- NordicTrack has a piston that raises and lowers the bike to simulate incline and decline. Also, instructors can take over the bike and basically put it in ERG mode so they control incline and resistance. The screen rotates too.
- Echelon EX3 is inexpensive but really good. You bring the screen so if you have a tablet then you are good to go. Echelon works with Peloton's app so you take the Peloton classes. And that can be done on AppleTV as the screen.

Zwift isnt a cycling setup that uses the traditional spin class setup, but if your wife already has a bike, its maybe worth looking into as its only $15/month plus the cost of a smart trainer. Its an MMOG where you ride with/alongside/against others from around the world. There are seemingly endless routes to choose from, there are tons of group rides, and there are structured workouts. But there isnt an instructor telling you do to ride harder. The group rides are motivating because its interactive(chatting) and they have many different pace targets, plus there are a lot of women's only group rides.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2013
If she wants a true "stay-at-home system", then Peleton is the way to go. Another option if she wanted a bike to be able to ride outside for a change of pace would be getting a Garmin/Wahoo indoor set-up with a software like Zwift. Only downside from what you described is Zwift offers training programs, not much instructor led classes.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I went with the NordicTrack S22i commercial. Free shipping, less than a Peloton and the bike is at least equivalent, I'd say a bit higher Q. Makes use of the iFit program for structured rides. The bike will adjust resistance and incline in response to the course.

Biggest thing for me was the bike comes with a 1 year family membership in iFit, so you can have 5 people with their own accounts. Includes both bike specific workouts and other workouts off the bike, yoga, weight training, cardio/cross fit, etc. available on the large monitor or on your phone. Very good program and seems to be more comprehensive than the peloton equivalent. 12 months of family membership is about $500, so that was a big deal.

Make sure you get her some bike shoes - running shoes are not good for riding, sole is too soft. Make sure you spend some time on fitting the bike to her frame - both bikes come with rudimentary instructions but there's more comprehensive info available on youTube and the like.

I got mine from Amazon, same price as direct from NordicTrack.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I've been pleased with our Schwinn IC4. It's the same bike as the Bowflex C6.

Nicephorus

Sep 3, 2018
My wife recently said she thinks she wants a Peleton for Christmas. I’ve always liked the idea of getting something like that, but I’ve always figured surprising her with an exercise bike would get a reaction similar to surprising her with a new apron and mop.
So does anybody any good feedback on the Peleton or any other brands (like perks or inconveniences)? She said the main thing is she wants a bike that can offer structured classes.

My opinion is the most important criteria is will you continue to ride it after the “newness” has worn off. Better to pay a premium for a bike you’re confident you’ll be using a year from now than getting a more basic setup for half the cost that will be collecting dust in 6 months. For some just having a tv is enough. Others need the coaching and hand picked music playlists by the instructor to stay engaged.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Peloton seems to be the popular choice for recreational cyclists. Most competitve cyclists use a trainer with a fitted road bike. Seems a lot of people use Zwift now, but we ride year round (Anti-Zwift on Strava). My wife and I use old school/indoor/cheap stationary trainers when the weather is brutal (below 20). Pretty sure my trainer was purchase in the 1980s when I started racing bikes.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve looked into the other bikes that could accommodate the Peleton app thru an iPad or such. I like that Peleton delivers it and sets it up for you. The cleats strike me as potentially annoying, but i have a link to some good ones cheaper than Peleton’s. I do have the worry that she may not maintain consistency, but I’ll use it regardless, although I don’t really need the coaching and all.
I asked fishwater for his advice, figuring he might have one, but he said he just has a personal butler that moves his legs back and forth for him
Maybe next year we will revert back to just a nice sweater for Christmas.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The cleats strike me as potentially annoying, but i have a link to some good ones cheaper than Peleton’s. I do have the worry that she may not maintain consistency, but I’ll use it regardless, although I don’t really need the coaching and all.
There is a booming segment of cycling clothing that is dedicated to indoor exercise. It sounds absurd- indoor specific cycling clothing, especially since a lot of summer lightweight stuff is just as effective, but there are a couple of legit pieces that could help make the experience better.

- spd shoes. Spd is the interface that locks the cleat to the pedal. Indoor cycling shoes are often light/thin mesh for breathability and have a fully recessed cleat so you can walk on floors without scraping. Whether you get indoor specific or not- I would go only on price. My regular shoes work just as fine in our spare bedroom as they do on the road. A quality shoe will have a stiff sole, feel comfortable, and not develop hot spots or numbing when in use. Though if you get a hot spot or numbing, it could just mean a slight tweak of the cleat is needed(like not even visually perceptible).

- bibs/shorts with chamois/padding. Anything that fits and is meant for summer will work well as itll be a lightweight weave for breathing. Try to avoid the Amazon 6letter brands or similar. A firm saddle plus pad is 100x better than a squishy saddle without pad. The bibs keep everything in place which is really beneficial on a spin bike with all the transitioning from seated to standing and back again.

- a fan. Get a second fan even. If you are legitimately working hard, you will be a puddle of sweat at the end of even a 40min session, so fans blowing on you helps a ton. Speaking of- if heavy sweat is an issue, look into covering moving parts that sweat might affect.

McThunder

May 9, 2016
NordicTrak

My wife has a NordicTrac and from what I've read, is less expensive.
I use it as well, which has a large screen that does first-person rides. So far, I've been to Montana,
Norway, and Portugal in a week's time. lol

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

- Anyone who watched PTON rise knew it would need to 'correct' at some point. It was goofy high.
- Peloton is finally looking to do what so many have criticized them for not doing- gaming. Their refusal to allow their system to run Zwify, Sufferfest, etc cost them sales.
- If Peloton is going to be a legit alternative to Zwift or other interactive trainer programs, it needs to get its power measurements to something close to accurate(as in actually accurate).
- Whoever manages to talk Nintendo into licensing MarioKart will be the true winner in my book. Race and launch some red shells?!? Hell yes.

biguglyjoe

Mar 3, 2008
I enjoy Zwift. Go the Apple TV route if you choose to go that route. It's a much easier setup.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
true

I don't even acknowledge my followers zwift rides...lol
A lot of the zwifters have no real fitness when they come outside to ride. Elements is part of it
Speaking of strava, what do you think of ebikers? A lot of mtb segments are being lost to cheaters. Mind you, ebikes have a purpose but getting fake KOMs isn't one of them. I can see getting one when I retire and the knees are shot.

Feb 12, 2013
Strava will have to make an update to have eMTB/eBike segments only asap, especially on climbing/hill segments. I do not want to lose a KOM in my riding area I fought for months to get, only to lose it to a semi-newbie on an eMTB.

I have read/skimmed some research papers on people getting more of a workout on E-bikes than regular bikes due to the constant pedaling on an Ebike, but that feels like a stretch. I can make the same argument that riding a long travel Enduro bike primarily uphill is more of a workout than a trail bike on the same course.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don't even acknowledge my followers zwift rides...lol
A lot of the zwifters have no real fitness when they come outside to ride. Elements is part of it
Speaking of strava, what do you think of ebikers? A lot of mtb segments are being lost to cheaters. Mind you, ebikes have a purpose but getting fake KOMs isn't one of them. I can see getting one when I retire and the knees are shot.

Strava segments are something I care about only to compare me to myself. Ill look at one after a ride to compare that segment to all the previous times Ive ridden it and see where it falls in order, but I really dont have much care who is at the top. The KOM owners of segments around me that are actually legit segments(and not some dumb curve of a highly used urban path) are either low level pros, elite amateurs, ebikers, or morons who forgot to turn their gps off and are driving then dont delete the data once they see it.
I am not in any of those 4 categories, so I dont really care who has the KOM.

I Strava my Zwifting. Riding outside between mid-November and mid-February is tough to do- most days suck due to cold, wind, or snow. The rare day that is good weather means you have to also be able to ride at a specific time in the middle of the day which eliminates workdays. 17 that, I will Zwift. 1 hour on Zwift is a significantly tougher experience than 1 hour on the road no matter how hard I push myself.
With that said, I found out a co-worker has logged over 13,000mi this year and did over 17,000mi last year. Tri guy who spends 85% of those miles in his basement on Zwift. 1- I cant imagine the time that takes. 2- thats tough for me to say those miles were ridden.
Not sure where the point is for me to agree or disagree on 'riding'. Maybe 1000mi? Over 1000mi in one year is more too many on Zwift to say you are riding?

MrBigStuff

Aug 22, 2012
Strava segments are something I care about only to compare me to myself.

Same here. At my age and size, KOM's aren't attainable. I just subscribed to Strava to get the Live Segments on my bike GPS to give me some feedback against myself in real time.

I've never tried Zwift; I subscribed to Rouvy last winter and it was "meh", but my indoor setup is pretty low end. Old skool "10 speed" on a low end smart trainer and certainly no power meter. When I look back on how much I enjoyed spin classes at the gym with good leaders and bumpin' jams (pre-Covid), I'm considering "going back" to a stationary cycle with iFit. I have the Nordic Trak treadmill and like those iFit classes.

As with KD13, I prefer riding outside and live where you can "gear up" during winter (mostly). I'm retired so having time to ride outside is pretty much dependent on how much "weather" I want to take on.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
If its an old Vetta wind trainer and you bought it in Jackson, I probably sold it to you. Those things were LOUD.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login