OT Summer Thread: Least favorite holes in golf

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
What are some of your least favorite holes in golf. I’ll keep mine to ones the pack has probably played with one other one.
State #6 - In my prime ball striking days I was consistent with a driver with a baby draw. Everytime I stepped on that tee box I blocked left and was always in the trees on the right or #5’s fairway. That hole always had a mental hold on me.
Old Clear Creek Vicksburg 6-9: Before the redesign you started with a 5,3,5,3. #5 was a dogleg that had character then you went to 4 straight, straight par 4’s that felt identical. During a dry spell in the summer, the fairways would play so fast that any fade or draw would run through the fairway and inevitably end up under a live oak. You were better off blowing a hook or slice into the other fairway to give you an open shot. The holes were fine they just had no character.
#1 Castlewoods Not for me but for a friend. He was the type of player that rarely played and never warmed up so his first few holes were full of bad shots. We played CW a few times and he had to have put 20 balls in the water on the pond in front of the tee box. It was always comical.
Osceola Pensacola #1 I doubt many have played here but it is the most frustrating starting hole of any course I’ve played. Years ago they redesigned and flipped the nines which was a shame because the old 18 was a great finishing hole. The old number 1 was a run off the mill 360 yard par 4 with a fairly wide fairway. The new #1 is tree lined on the left forcing less confident golfers to aim right pushing you further out for your approach. The hole is 427 from the whites and only plays like that if you skirt the trees. The green is small and raised, so you are hitting a long iron or wood onto it and it rarely holds. I love a good challenge, but not before I’ve cracked open my 3rd beer. I hate starting with a double.
What are some MS or other holes you hate?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
putt putt golf GIF

putt putt golf GIF

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Overton #2. No grass on any tee there, but the trees had completely overtaken the alley way between tee and green on this hole. You just had to get a lucky bounce through the trees. This was before the city of Memphis remodeled the course. Might be better now.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Old Clear Creek Vicksburg 6-9: Before the redesign you started with a 5,3,5,3. #5 was a dogleg that had character then you went to 4 straight, straight par 4’s that felt identical. During a dry spell in the summer, the fairways would play so fast that any fade or draw would run through the fairway and inevitably end up under a live oak. You were better off blowing a hook or slice into the other fairway to give you an open shot. The holes were fine they just had no character.
So you mean my wicked slice that caused me to play 7 from 8's fairway, and 8 from 7's fairway was a strategy move all along? Maybe I'm not as terrible at golf as I thought I was.

I always noticed that I was NEVER the only one that did this out there either. If you're a straight hitter playing this course you almost are guaranteed to pick up the wrong ball if you find one in the fairway you're on.

Reactions: mcdawg22

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Cherokee Valley #10 water to the right and 3 massive sand traps in the middle of the fairway where Average Joes land on drives.

Reactions: Maroon13

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Overton #2. No grass on any tee there, but the trees had completely overtaken the alley way between tee and green on this hole. You just had to get a lucky bounce through the trees. This was before the city of Memphis remodeled the course. Might be better now.
While we’re talking Memphis publinks, I hated Fox Meadows #2 with a passion. Longest par 4 on the course that should be a piece of cake with a fade off the tee and a 120-140 yd pitch for your 2nd shot. However, the dogleg to the right with the giant oak on the right side of the fairway got me EVERY SINGLE TIME. I could’ve done a complete 180 and teed off facing the opposite direction of the green, and I still would’ve somehow found that damn tree

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
#6 at MSU was never a hole I liked- the one that runs along the north end of the property.
OB left just off the cart path and huge pines right. I did my best Seve impression more often on that hole than probably any of the others. Just scrambling for par.

There were many times where I would slap a hooded 6 off the tee and have like a 7 into the green- figured it was better than scrambling out of the straw or trying to take it over towering pines.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
All par 3s over 200 yds.

Canton Country Club has a handful of holes I despise: 6, 11, 14, 16

13-17 at Deerfield.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
State #6 - In my prime ball striking days I was consistent with a driver with a baby draw. Everytime I stepped on that tee box I blocked left and was always in the trees on the right or #5’s fairway. That hole always had a mental hold on me.

Is this the Par 5 where you have the water in front and to the right of the tee box, fairway to the right beyond the water, and a lot of trees right in front and to the left of tee box that ride right along the cart path?

If so, I was out there a few weeks ago for the first time in years, and absolutely crushed a drive. Best ball strike of the day by far. Problem was it was just enough left to ride that tree line along the cart path. Had I done as you said you did and blocked left, I might have birdied the damn thing.

Can’t remember if that was #6 or #7, but it was somewhere in there.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Is this the Par 5 where you have the water in front and to the right of the tee box, fairway to the right beyond the water, and a lot of trees right in front and to the left of tee box that ride right along the cart path?

If so, I was out there a few weeks ago for the first time in years, and absolutely crushed a drive. Best ball strike of the day by far. Problem was it was just enough left to ride that tree line along the cart path. Had I done as you said you did and blocked left, I might have birdied the damn thing.

Can’t remember if that was #6 or #7, but it was somewhere in there.
6 is the par 4 with OOB left, (good place to find balls), and trees separating it and 5. The green is downhill a little with water behind it separating it and 7’s tee box. You are describing 7. It would be interesting to play 7 now. I used to always keep it short of the pinch in between the ponds left and right, but with today’s technology I hit it further than I did when I was 25. I’d be curious to see if I’d reach the water on a regular basis now.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
So you mean my wicked slice that caused me to play 7 from 8's fairway, and 8 from 7's fairway was a strategy move all along? Maybe I'm not as terrible at golf as I thought I was.

I always noticed that I was NEVER the only one that did this out there either. If you're a straight hitter playing this course you almost are guaranteed to pick up the wrong ball if you find one in the fairway you're on.
As a tragic slicer in rehab, I can confirm that I've played many holes at Clear Creek out of order back in the day. I don't believe there was a OB marker on the whole course.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
#2 at Bel Air in Tupelo, the green is like a turtle shell. There isn’t a flat spot on it bigger than a golf cart that will hold a ball.
#6 or #7 , can’t remember which but you’ll know it when you play it, at Lost Key in Perdido Key, I can’t carry a drive far enough to clear the swamp.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
#2 at Bel Air in Tupelo, the green is like a turtle shell. There isn’t a flat spot on it bigger than a golf cart that will hold a ball.
#6 or #7 , can’t remember which but you’ll know it when you play it, at Lost Key in Perdido Key, I can’t carry a drive far enough to clear the swamp.
Every hole at Lost Ball is on my short list.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
What are some of your least favorite holes in golf. I’ll keep mine to ones the pack has probably played with one other one.
#1 Castlewoods Not for me but for a friend. He was the type of player that rarely played and never warmed up so his first few holes were full of bad shots. We played CW a few times and he had to have put 20 balls in the water on the pond in front of the tee box. It was always comical.
Osceola Pensacola #1 I doubt many have played here but it is the most frustrating starting hole of any course I’ve played. Years ago they redesigned and flipped the nines which was a shame because the old 18 was a great finishing hole. The old number 1 was a run off the mill 360 yard par 4 with a fairly wide fairway. The new #1 is tree lined on the left forcing less confident golfers to aim right pushing you further out for your approach. The hole is 427 from the whites and only plays like that if you skirt the trees. The green is small and raised, so you are hitting a long iron or wood onto it and it rarely holds. I love a good challenge, but not before I’ve cracked open my 3rd beer. I hate starting with a double.
#2 at Annandale. 17 that mutha 17n s h i t

Reactions: Darryl Steight

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Lost 8 Friday and I was happy with my round.
Have you ever played Perdido Bay? There is a hole on that course that’s on my list because it has GPS carts and when it’s cart path only the cart will inevitably shut down because you have to cross the fairway to go from one path to the next.

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Number 14 at Briarwood in Meridian. About 12-15 years ago I was having that once in a lifetime round playing way over my head. I was -7 after 13 holes then made a quad on 14. Always a tough hole and was rated one of the tougher holes in MS many years ago. Anyway......never had another round like that. I managed to par out after that and shot 69. Still one of my best rounds ever but........what could have been. :cry:

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
17 at Wolf Hollow gets me every time. Dog leg right down hill. Green is lofted, the size of a postage stamp and falls off to the back. Miss right or left and you are chipping straight up the hill.
13 at Wolf Hollow is tough. Island green par 4. That lake has taken 100s of golf balls from me over the year.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
My home course has a 610 yard par 5 that doglegs right and is lined with 100'+ fir trees that keep you from cutting corners. The natural layup area in front of the green has severe downslope that feeds into a creek lined with tall brush.

So if you manage to hit a 280 yard drive down the middle, you are rewarded with a 2nd shot that you have to carry 240+ yards (always into the wind) to the flat fairway landing area in front of the green. Or you can play it safe and layup in front of the creek, but because of the slope, you need to account for up to 40 yards of rollout that will either feed your ball to the creek or run you up against the junk where you have to take an unplayable.

The true safe play is to layup in front of the downslope then leave yourself about 150-170 yards on your 3rd shot. Last time I played this hole hit a perfect drive, had to layup with a wedge, and then hit an 8i to the green. If you miss 2' right of the green you are in a waste area where you will never find your ball. Bogey is a good score because its very easy to put up 7 and 8 on this whole. It's listed as the #2 HC on the course, but it's the hardest par 5 to score on I have ever seen.

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 10.03.38 AM.png
PXL_20210902_222242044.jpg

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
Same holes. I had a senior golfer stomping and clapping at me in order to get my attetion so I wouldn't hit his ball. Little did he know my slice was worse and I was the one in the fairway, albeit the wrong one, and his ball was in the rough. I hit quckly to get out of the way and rolled it up on the green. He was just shaking his head. As I left the fairway, I just pointed to his ball.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
#2 at Annandale. 17 that mutha 17n s h i t
Came here to add this exact hole. Nicklaus knows how to torture me. Not that I'm super great anyway, but if I'm forced to carry a long iron over water to a smallish green it's already not going to end well. And that hole in particular, the way he shaped it or something, I've never felt comfortable on the tee box.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Same holes. I had a senior golfer stomping and clapping at me in order to get my attetion so I wouldn't hit his ball. Little did he know my slice was worse and I was the one in the fairway, albeit the wrong one, and his ball was in the rough. I hit quckly to get out of the way and rolled it up on the green. He was just shaking his head. As I left the fairway, I just pointed to his ball.
He must have not been a local. Anyone that has played CC more than once knows to expect others in your fairway on those holes. I played with a long hitter back in the day and when he missed right, he missed big right. He ended up on 6 playing from 8’s tee box. It was quite remarkable.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I know we're focusing on MS courses, but I'd put a few holes along the ocean at Bandon on my most difficult list. Not necessarily the shape or length, the misty fog that rolls in randomly, not the 8' deep bunkers, the uneven lies of tawny fescue, or the gorse that grabs balls and won't let go... No... it's the wind. The wind, I tell you.

haunts me2.gif

But other than me stinking it up on the scorecard, fantastic trip. Highly recommend.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
He must have not been a local. Anyone that has played CC more than once knows to expect others in your fairway on those holes. I played with a long hitter back in the day and when he missed right, he missed big right. He ended up on 6 playing from 8’s tee box. It was quite remarkable.
Seems there are several Clear Creek'ers here. Hard to say how many times I played it with my FIL when we came back to town over the 80's and into the 90's. That was certainly an uninspiring 4 hole stretch but I will say I got my only eagle in 40+ years on a hole out from the fairway on the first in that stretch as I recall.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
Came here to add this exact hole. Nicklaus knows how to torture me. Not that I'm super great anyway, but if I'm forced to carry a long iron over water to a smallish green it's already not going to end well. And that hole in particular, the way he shaped it or something, I've never felt comfortable on the tee box.
Dont recall it being that hard. Isnt it like a 7 iron off the tee? unless you playing the tips.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
My home course has a 610 yard par 5 that doglegs right and is lined with 100'+ fir trees that keep you from cutting corners. The natural layup area in front of the green has severe downslope that feeds into a creek lined with tall brush.

So if you manage to hit a 280 yard drive down the middle, you are rewarded with a 2nd shot that you have to carry 240+ yards (always into the wind) to the flat fairway landing area in front of the green. Or you can play it safe and layup in front of the creek, but because of the slope, you need to account for up to 40 yards of rollout that will either feed your ball to the creek or run you up against the junk where you have to take an unplayable.

The true safe play is to layup in front of the downslope then leave yourself about 150-170 yards on your 3rd shot. Last time I played this hole hit a perfect drive, had to layup with a wedge, and then hit an 8i to the green. If you miss 2' right of the green you are in a waste area where you will never find your ball. Bogey is a good score because its very easy to put up 7 and 8 on this whole. It's listed as the #2 HC on the course, but it's the hardest par 5 to score on I have ever seen.

View attachment 359103
View attachment 359105
This reminds me of Forest CC hole 14 or 15. Long par 5. Lined with pines on right and pines and ob left. Cant reach green in two because its 400 straight away to the dogleg then 90 degree right and 150 more yards to green. Trees all down right prevent going at the hole in 2. Driver, 150 lay up to bend, and then 150 more to hole. Takes 3 perfect shots.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Grand Bear has a Par 4 on the back nine (maybe 17?) that I guess qualifies as a dog leg left but what's left of the fairway is a little bit of rough and then a creek (maybe the Biloxi River?). Not a ton of rough on the right either but not incredibly tight. Really just not difficult of a hole but just a mental thing where I can't get off the 17ing tee box.

Kiva Dunes has what should be an incredibly easy par 4 on the front nine (I think hole #4?). Really not even long enough to be a legitimate par 4 if you're not playing the tips, nothing particularly dangerous about the hole except some trash to the left and a green that's plenty big enough without crazy put-put curves or hole locations. Don't remember if I've ever checked it but assume it's the easiest handicap on the course. Not sure I've ever parred it.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Dont recall it being that hard. Isnt it like a 7 iron off the tee? unless you playing the tips.
I guess I could be wrong, it's been a while since I've played, but I can guarantee I've never played the hole I'm thinking of with less than a 5-iron. In my mind it's always played 185 or more. I'm pretty sure it's #2, right after the easy little dogleg right #1, correct?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login