OT: Survey - Is it just my circle, or is everybody you know also a travel agent these days?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I know 5-6 travel agents.

For most, it appears to be a side hustle.

One is a full time agent specializing in European travel and from whom I've gotten advice.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
I have noticed several people in my town are doing it. They are all tied to a full time travel agent and using FB as their advertising. Kinda like all the women that get in on the social media pyramid schemes selling weight loss coffee and stuff

Awkward Season 2 GIF by The Office

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yes.. if it was 1994. WTF? Did they give up on selling long distance to become travel agents?
For real. See there's this thing called the internet.....

Nowadays, if you want to make it as a travel agent, better change yo title to travel 'consultant' and you better be providing value because yo *** has been somewhere like 800 times, like all those Disney 'consultants' that tell you what fast passes to get and when.

I could be a travel consultant for maybe Noxapater.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
You are seeing it more in fly fishing, it seems like every guide or shop is booking destination trips now. I was thinking about going to the FFI (Fly Fishers International) rendezvous a few years back and one of the seminars that year was "How Your Clients Could Pay for Your Fishing Trip". Most lodges have programs that will pay for your trip if you can fill their lodge for a week.

I'm wondering if some of these Disney "Consultants" and others are doing the same thing by earning credit towards their own vacation. I'm not a tax expert but if you form a LLC could your vacation be written off as a business expense for research or business development?

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'm wondering if some of these Disney "Consultants" and others are doing the same thing by earning credit towards their own vacation.
Maybe, but in general from what I understand - the Disney consultants are all commission pay. Disney pays 10% commission to travel agencies. That's why they want to get as much into that package as possible - dining plans, special passes, etc. Those consultants work for an agency and basically split that ~50/50. So they're getting 5% commission on whatever you book thru Disney.

They also don't get paid until after the trip. I guess once someone gets started in it, that's not a bad deal. But starting off you may work 6 months without being paid.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You are seeing it more in fly fishing, it seems like every guide or shop is booking destination trips now. I was thinking about going to the FFI (Fly Fishers International) rendezvous a few years back and one of the seminars that year was "How Your Clients Could Pay for Your Fishing Trip". Most lodges have programs that will pay for your trip if you can fill their lodge for a week.

I stopped by my fly shop yesterday and they don't even carry waders anymore. They're all in on trips to Patagonia, Belize, and Alaska for fishing and booking for local hunting guides.

• Wow
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
My MIL was a Disney agent for a bit. That is the most common I’ve seen. You can do it all yourself nowadays but sometimes it is easier to get a travel agent. This is especially true your first trip to a certain destination.

The one main exception for me was the Caribbean. It was all pretty straightforward. Get on a package site. Lock in your price and dates. Read the reviews and click buy.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I'm wondering if some of these Disney "Consultants" and others are doing the same thing by earning credit towards their own vacation. I'm not a tax expert but if you form a LLC could your vacation be written off as a business expense for research or business development?
This makes sense. Travel sharecroppers. Spend it all at the company store.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think a lot of them are claiming vacations as business expenses. IRS regs are fairly strict in that. If they got audited, they’d probably have the deduction disallowed. But if you don’t get audited …..

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
My MIL was a Disney agent for a bit. That is the most common I’ve seen. You can do it all yourself nowadays but sometimes it is easier to get a travel agent. This is especially true your first trip to a certain destination.

The one main exception for me was the Caribbean. It was all pretty straightforward. Get on a package site. Lock in your price and dates. Read the reviews and click buy.
and buy the insurance......

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I have noticed several people in my town are doing it. They are all tied to a full time travel agent and using FB as their advertising. Kinda like all the women that get in on the social media pyramid schemes selling weight loss coffee and stuff

Awkward Season 2 GIF by The Office
There was a popular travel agent mlm working its way through Memphis about 15 years ago.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Completely agree. We used Cheap Carribean for our first couple of trips and it was easy to get everything packaged together including airfare, airport transportation, and excursions. There was always an attendant on site if we wanted to add anything. The resorts have built it all into their sites now so you can go direct with them for all of this as well. I’ve noticed Cheap Carribean used to have tons of locations now they seem to only feature Mexico and Jamaica with a few other spots.
We were planning Universal this year and I went through every package imaginable with Florida discounts. A friend suggested a free TA and he packaged options that were cheaper than anything I could have pulled off and gave us 5 options outlining the benefits of each one.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
So if everybody you know is a travel agent, and everybody I know sells essential oils, which one of us runs in higher class circles?

Sounds like a tough living, selling essential oils. I have a standing rule, if any of our friends asks us to host any kind of party where something will be sold or if they offer to take my wife and I out for a dinner to discuss an opportunity, they are history.

And no, I don't know a single person impersonating a travel agent

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I may know a guy. How do you feel about potatoes, market analysis, and sex dungeons? @PooPopsBaldHead
I'm in. Unfortunately I am busy doing boring shìt like taking the RV across the country, hiking, and fly fishing right now. Just stopped to eat a sammy and there's not a 17ing tater farm or dungeon in sight.. Stupid mountains.

PXL_20230615_173859586_copy_1612x907.jpg

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login