OT: Terrible Musicals.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I love musicals....
Saw The Magic Show, The Wiz and Camelot with Richard Harris (2nd time around) live on Broadway.

My favorites are 1776, The Music Man and Camelot.

It's a shame that not everyone on the planet enjoys exactly the same type of entertainment. Life would be so much easier....
Tell me more...tell me more 🤣

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
We have seen many musicals on Broadway over the years, all of them entertaining. Best: Phantom of The Opera, Chicago, and The Producers. We had the pleasure of seeing Billy Crystal in the limited run show, Mr Saturday Night and it was a riot. To each their own, and not all musicals are created equal.
Jmn I Dont Know GIF by ALLBLK

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Ok listen to this and sell me

I read, and enjoy, your posts, but with all due respect, you should not need to be sold on a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. The songs, dialogue, emotion, and acting, should sell themselves. That doesn't make you a bad person, although it does speak to a lack of sophistication. Just kidding!!!!
"Surrey with the Fringe On Top" is not everyone's idea of great music.;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Musicals Tgar has seen and loved:

Memphis
Jersey Boys
Million Dollar Quartet
Queen‘s We will Rock You. ( in the original London Theater )
Avenue Q
Hamilton
Wicked
Book of Mormon
Bright Star. ( the Eddie Brickell and Steve Martin Musical, incredible, short lived )
Kinky Boots
Spamalot. ( again in the Original London Theater )

Probably a couple of others. Memory Banks are slow this morning. We have seen many theater productions as well.

Musicals that made Tgar’s skin crawl and should never be performed again:

Phantom of the Opera. Such an ouch evening.

VicVaselino

Oct 12, 2021
Oklahoma revolutionized American Theater and gave birth to the Golden Age of American Musicals. Its importance cannot be overstated. More controversial today than it was at its premier in 1943, audiences through the decades have generally loved it, as do I. Still, musicals, like, all forms of art, are a matter of individual taste and so I respect your opinion, misguided though it is.;)

Oklahoma revolutionized American Theater and gave birth to the Golden Age of American Musicals. Its importance cannot be overstated. More controversial today than it was at its premier in 1943, audiences through the decades have generally loved it, as do I. Still, musicals, like, all forms of art, are a matter of individual taste and so I respect your opinion, misguided though it is.;)
How can you not love a musical that features a girl who can't say no?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Musicals Tgar has seen and loved:

Memphis
Jersey Boys
Million Dollar Quartet
Queen‘s We will Rock You. ( in the original London Theater )
Avenue Q
Hamilton
Wicked
Book of Mormon
Bright Star. ( the Eddie Brickell and Steve Martin Musical, incredible, short lived )
Kinky Boots
Spamalot. ( again in the Original London Theater )

Probably a couple of others. Memory Banks are slow this morning. We have seen many theater productions as well.

Musicals that made Tgar’s skin crawl and should never be performed again:

Phantom of the Opera. Such an ouch evening.

Don’t disagree - - but ‘Think of Me’ is one of the best showstopper’s of all time. Incredible.

Reactions: Lblion and Tgar
May 11, 2023
Have seen most mentioned here either. One not mentioned that I really enjoyed is Singin’ in the Rain. Saw a revival on Broadway many years ago that was fantastic. There are some very popular musicals that I bored me to sleep in my seat…Phantom, Cats, Pirates of Penzance, A Chorus Line.

Reactions: fairgambit

Monty2007

Oct 12, 2021
Same. We go a lot - I’ve seen:

Hamilton
Book of Mormon x 2
Phantom of the Opera
Miss Saigon
Les Miserables
Wicked x 2
Mean Girls
Moulin Rogue
Something Rotten
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Matilda
Chicago
An American in Paris
Aladdin
Waitress
Annie
Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public (Donald Trump and Marla Maples were there, a row over from me; it was the premiere in the mid 90’s)
Guys & Dolls
Cabaret

Wife and daughter were in NYC this past week for a Johns Hopkins course and they saw ‘& Juliet.’
Seen most of those and agree. I'll add these that we enjoyed.

Damm Yankees with Victor Garber
Crazy For You with Harry Groener
Come From Away
Kinky Boots
Gypsy with Tyne Daly
Rent

and Cats was a dsappointment

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
The whole concept is weird IMO. People living their lives suddenly pausing to sing and dance

Then after a song is over they pause as if released from a spell and go back to talking

Cop Rock was the worst
As opposed to teenagers pulling sticks out of their pockets and casting magic spells with them, or a guy with a metal suit that defies all the laws of physics?

You're confusing musicals with documentaries perhaps.

Reactions: LionJim

Monty2007

Oct 12, 2021
As opposed to teenagers pulling sticks out of their pockets and casting magic spells with them, or a guy with a metal suit that defies all the laws of physics?

You're confusing musicals with documentaries perhaps.

It's all explained in Something Rotten.

Reactions: Midnighter

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
"The Pirates of Penzance" movie with Linda Ronstadt and Kevin Kline was great. Also, "Footloose" and "Bye Bye Birdie."

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
"The Pirates of Penzance" movie with Linda Ronstadt and Kevin Kline was great. Also, "Footloose" and "Bye Bye Birdie."

Not to be confused with 'The Pirate Movie', starring Blue Lagoon's Christopher Atkins and the adorable Kristy McNichol (which came out a year before POP - 1982):

As to the actual topic at hand, the best/worst musical I've sat through is MIss Saigon. It's got a lot of wonderful songs (Sun & Moon) and it put THE most legendary Broadway performer of all time, the inimitable Lea Salonga, on the map (her audition for Miss Saigon is below and incredible - she's 18 at the time):

Here she is in action:

But, it's an incredibly depressing musical - about the orphan children with U.S/GI fathers and their Vietnamese mothers left abandoned after the war. They even show film footage (on screen) during the production I saw of these children in orphanages; it's super depressing. And very, very long.

Disney movies are essentially musicals and I have liked a lot of them - Frozen, Aladdin (Lea Salong sings as Jasmine), Mulan (also Lea Salonga singing as Mulan; only 2 x Disney princess), Encanto, Moana, Beauty and the Beast, etc. The best, contemporary musical I've seen is La La Land; I like when they lean into it a bit - I loved the Les Mis film but not the execution.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Chicago and Moulin Rouge were good. Hamilton was 🔥.

Will have to catch Paint Your Taint next time I’m in Pittsburgh.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I know the lyrics of every song in Pippin. I wouldn’t read too much into it other than me being a lonely kid with too much time on his hands. Plus my sister bought the cast album and it had the lyrics on the sleeve. My oldest sister was big on the Neshaminy stage, played Dolly.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I know the lyrics of every song in Pippin. I wouldn’t read too much into it other than me being a lonely kid with too much time on his hands. Plus my sister bought the cast album and it had the lyrics on the sleeve. My oldest sister was big on the Neshaminy stage, played Dolly.
Pretty much the same with me and the brown cover version of Jesus Christ Superstar. That also pretty much sums up my understanding of the New Testament. :oops: