OT - The Last of US - Spoiler

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Was really into The Last of Us before "last" night. The first two episodes were fast moving and action packed, most of last night's episode was a love story. They could have easily made that part less than 15 minutes and we could have gotten back to the action. I realize they are trying to educate us mouth breathers on how wonderful homosexual relationships are, but I just don't think folks are wanting romance out of these type shows, especially when the almost the entire episode is about he romance./SPOILER]

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
edit - I put a spoiler tag on this, but the "spoiler" tag is not showing up for me...
You've got to embed the spoiler...

Click on the second line of three dots and then click the Eye with the Slash going through it and put in the info within or just type:
What you want to write.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Was really into The Last of Us before "last" night. The first two episodes were fast moving and action packed, most of last night's episode was a love story. They could have easily made that part less than 15 minutes and we could have gotten back to the action. I realize they are trying to educate us mouth breathers on how wonderful homosexual relationships are, but I just don't think folks are wanting romance out of these type shows, especially when the almost the entire episode is about he romance.
Do you remember the last time you watched a show/movie and there was a gay couple in it?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You've got to embed the spoiler...

Click on the second line of three dots and then click the Eye with the Slash going through it and put in the info within or just type:
What you want to write.
ok, got it this time.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Do you remember the last time you watched a show/movie and there was a gay couple in it?
The issue to me is they wasted almost a whole episode, of what i was expecting to be an action series, on a romance. The romance could have easily be wrapped up in a few minutes. Would have loved to have seen much more of the scene where his compound is getting attacked.

Reactions: Tigerpro2a

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
Was really into The Last of Us before "last" night. The first two episodes were fast moving and action packed, most of last night's episode was a love story. They could have easily made that part less than 15 minutes and we could have gotten back to the action. I realize they are trying to educate us mouth breathers on how wonderful homosexual relationships are, but I just don't think folks are wanting romance out of these type shows, especially when the almost the entire episode is about he romance./SPOILER]
Well, that's what makes the game so good and enjoyable is the story. You put yourself in there shoes and feel the same emotions. You feel like you know and understand the characters. To me last nights episode was the writers trying to do the same. I really didn't think they were educating us on how wonderful it was to be a homosexual. I believe it was showing how bad it sucked being alone in a dying infested world and Bill would rather die with his partner than being alone again. But you could be right. You know everybody loves watching two hairy bearded guys making out.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Well, that's what makes the game so good and enjoyable is the story. You put yourself in there shoes and feel the same emotions. You feel like you know and understand the characters. To me last nights episode was the writers trying to do the same. I really didn't think they were educating us on how wonderful it was to be a homosexual. I believe it was showing how bad it sucked being alone in a dying infested world and Bill would rather die with his partner than being alone again. But you could be right. You know everybody loves watching two hairy bearded guys making out.
Good insight, I've never played (or even heard of) the game. I was expecting tons of action, which is what the first two episodes delivered and what the trailers portrayed. I feel by not giving more time to the defense of the compound, they missed some good scenes.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Are you kidding me?!?!?! I don't get to watch as many movies as I used to, but it's like hollywood is only interested in making movies with gay couples. Pretty much every movie I watch is full of lesbian couples (or throuples or quadruples?) having sex in it. I've watched the entire "Scissoring" series and it's like they are philosophically opposed to showing a straight couple. Same thing with all seven installments of "Carpet Cleaners, Inc." and "Girls Do it Better" I - IV. Then there's the entire Girls Gone Wild library. I swear these damn libruls with their homosexual agenda. You just can't avoid it.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I didn’t care for the episode, but not really because of the nature of the relationship at the center of it. I just thought it was an odd choice to take the focus away from the two main characters when we are only just getting to know them. I mean it was even to the point of Joel not being present for 99% of the Frank and Bill stuff and Ellie never meeting them period.

I’m not tapping out on the show yet and I know that episode is getting rave reviews from critics. Just didn’t work well for me.

The last thing I’ll say is if last night bothered you, I’d advise not tuning in to the inevitable season 2.

Aug 22, 2012
I played the game but it's been at least 7 years since i played it. I don't remember frank at all but I remember bill and enjoying his interactions with ellie. i hate we won't get to see that in this show. however, that was a really good episode and while it certainly lacked the action, it was a really well written episode. i felt like it was a very well done representation of a homosexual relationship. nothing over the top or corny, just life.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I didn’t care for the episode, but not really because of the nature of the relationship at the center of it. I just thought it was an odd choice to take the focus away from the two main characters when we are only just getting to know them. I mean it was even to the point of Joel not being present for 99% of the Frank and Bill stuff and Ellie never meeting them period.
My thoughts exactly. I'm watching for action, overcoming obstacles and moving, not romance. Would have been great for a prolonged scene of them defending the compound. They spent zero time with outlining the the Joel/Tess relationship, but almost an entire episode with this relationship.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The issue to me is they wasted almost a whole episode, of what i was expecting to be an action series, on a romance. The romance could have easily be wrapped up in a few minutes. Would have loved to have seen much more of the scene where his compound is getting attacked.
Waiting till the episodes are all through to watch this, but I have to ask did it actually further the plot at all I'd be asking the same if it was a heterosexual romance but we don't see those much anymore and they really have anything to do with the plot with the show like this.

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
My thoughts exactly. I'm watching for action, overcoming obstacles and moving, not romance. Would have been great for a prolonged scene of them defending the compound. They spent zero time with outlining the the Joel/Tess relationship, but almost an entire episode with this relationship.
The game has a ton of action in it, so I expect the rest of the episodes to be jam packed with terrifying action . I imagine they will have a couple more episodes like last night, but probably not till next season hopefully. One of the things I was disappointed with last night was I thought Bill would have a bigger role in the series. Who doesn't love a crazy, paranoid, end of days prepper.

Sep 17, 2012
I have no idea, but I think the series won't be as action-packed as you are expecting. It will develop human stories in a way the video game did not. For me, I'll be pretty disappointed if it's just Walking Dead 2.0

Reactions: FrontRangeDawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I played the game but it's been at least 7 years since i played it. I don't remember frank at all but I remember bill and enjoying his interactions with ellie. i hate we won't get to see that in this show. however, that was a really good episode and while it certainly lacked the action, it was a really well written episode. i felt like it was a very well done representation of a homosexual relationship. nothing over the top or corny, just life.
Frank is only a corpse in the game, you never meet him as a live person, so the show differed quite a bit in that regard. They do heavily imply in the game that Bill is gay and Frank was his partner. But they don’t go very far into it.

I thought Nick Offerman as Bill was great casting, just wanted to see more of his survivalist wacko side. The missions with him in the game are a lot of fun, would’ve liked to see more of that if we were only getting one episode with Bill.

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
The last thing I’ll say is if last night bothered you, I’d advise not tuning in to the inevitable season 2.

Yeah - Hes not gonna make it in Season 2 if that little relationship bothered him.... i have a feeling he will be throwing his popcorn bowl at the TV.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Nothing like a random gay couple in the middle of an apocalypse story. WTH? It served no other purpose. This show has sucked since the first show, so I'm moving on. The Mandalorian can't even save it.

Reactions: Uncle Ruckus

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Yeah it’s just terrible.

View attachment 304751I never doubted the episode would be highly rated/reviewed, a ton of money and effort when into it. It just was not what I was expecting. Based on trailers, what I'd read, etc. I was expecting action, not almost an entire episode focusing on a love story. It did very little to advance the plot of the show. I want action, not romance, whether it be hetro or homo. I have never played (or even heard of), the video game, so I have no idea if this is a storyline in the game.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Are you kidding me?!?!?! I don't get to watch as many movies as I used to, but it's like hollywood is only interested in making movies with gay couples. Pretty much every movie I watch is full of lesbian couples (or throuples or quadruples?) having sex in it. I've watched the entire "Scissoring" series and it's like they are philosophically opposed to showing a straight couple. Same thing with all seven installments of "Carpet Cleaners, Inc." and "Girls Do it Better" I - IV. Then there's the entire Girls Gone Wild library. I swear these damn libruls with their homosexual agenda. You just can't avoid it.
Shitballs. I meant to say wasn’t. Dickfuck

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
I’m operating under the assumption that Frank wasn’t really gay and he did what he had to do to stay alive.
His alternatives were Bill was going to kill him, Bill was going to make him leave and then he would die, or he try to uncover some latent homosexuality in Bill and earn his keep for the next 20 years.

At the end of the episode Frank should have revealed that he wasn’t really gay and just used Bill to keep himself alive. Would have made way more sense than that disaster they put out there last night.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
are you saying there's not an concerted effort to normalize?
I didn't say that at all. I also didn't suggest it. I didn't even allude to it.
What I was saying in that last post was that greenbean's analysis of why the story was told was a bad analysis.

As for an effort to normalize homosexuality in entertainment, it's already normal. It's been normal for years. It's just a relationship now. You have old guy young woman. You have old woman you man. You have old hetero couple. You have young lesbian couple. You have old gay couple.
Yada Yada Yada. It's just a relationship dynamic that allows for story telling- same as all other dynamics.

Reactions: FQDawg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Complete sidebar, but I finally got around to watching episode 3 last night, and one thing I’ll say is that I’m glad that premier video game stories are finally getting their due. I’ve been saying for years that the main reason I continue to play my PS4 to this day is that the stories behind a lot of these games are 100x better than virtually anything that Hollywood puts out. I honestly can’t even recall the last movie I watched and came away thinking… man, that was incredible. The Dark Knight?

Now with episodic streaming content, it’s given games like The Witcher, Halo, Last of Us, and I’m hearing Fallout a platform to tell their stories as opposed to cramming whatever they can into a 90 minute popcorn munching crap fest, and it’s great to see.

As far as episode 3 goes, I’ll just say that I think they went a tad over the top with what I’d care to see, but there were definitely some important stories told within it. The ability to find meaning in a hopeless world, Joel’s intense connection to Tess, and Joel understanding that protecting Ellie is now his top priority to name a few

Sep 17, 2012
I’m operating under the assumption that Frank wasn’t really gay and he did what he had to do to stay alive.
His alternatives were Bill was going to kill him, Bill was going to make him leave and then he would die, or he try to uncover some latent homosexuality in Bill and earn his keep for the next 20 years.

At the end of the episode Frank should have revealed that he wasn’t really gay and just used Bill to keep himself alive. Would have made way more sense than that disaster they put out there last night.

I think the show is trying to show there is still some hope to be found in the apocalyptic world. That love can still persist. What you're describing would be a really cynical approach of there is no good to be found in this world. Lots of shows would do that sure, but it looks like it's not what this show is about. Again, I think some of you probably won't like the show if you're just looking for shooting and escaping zombies and clans.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Uh, I just have to assume that you accidentally omitted the "not" between "was" and "a".
Yes. I am an idiot. I saw a tik tok the other day where a stand-up comedian had a bit saying something along the lines of "Y'all remember when commercial had white people in them? No it's a Asian woman and a mixed woman with a Mexican baby doing an advertisement for Concerta."

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Yeah - Hes not gonna make it in Season 2 if that little relationship bothered him.... i have a feeling he will be throwing his popcorn bowl at the TV.
I haven't played the game, but are you saying it goes woke in season two? We have a woke zombie video game?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Waiting till the episodes are all through to watch this, but I have to ask did it actually further the plot at all I'd be asking the same if it was a heterosexual romance but we don't see those much anymore and they really have anything to do with the plot with the show like this.
I didn't play the game, so I don't know if it will actually further the plot, but I don't see how it will. It was an entire episode about an apocalypse survivalist who we completely prepared for this. He captures a man, who he eventually brings into his home, they fall in love, you see their story through the years, then they both kill themselves before the main character gets to his compound for help. I don't see how their story will have any significance past this last episode.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login