OT: The new redneck status symbol. Move over, Yeti...

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Over the past couple years, it's been these foam pool bags (Boggs) have been the status symbol for soccer moms everywhere. $60 for a bag that cost 50 cents to make. Ridiculous. Before that, it was Yeti coolers.

The new product that fools everywhere (especially in the southeast) are going to overpay for are hats.

Meet Melin hats. I'm seeing too many people paying $60-70 for "a good hat".

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Over the past couple years, it's been these foam pool bags (Boggs) have been the status symbol for soccer moms everywhere. $60 for a bag that cost 50 cents to make. Ridiculous. Before that, it was Yeti coolers.

The new product that fools everywhere (especially in the southeast) are going to overpay for are hats.

Meet Melin hats. I'm seeing too many people paying $60-70 for "a good hat".

Haven’t seen those yet, but the number of dudes around town that have taken out second mortgages and are working side jobs so that mama can drive a $90k grand Wagoneer to practice continues to blow my mind

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Haven’t seen those yet, but the number of dudes around town that have taken out second mortgages and are working side jobs so that mama can drive a $90k grand Wagoneer to practice continues to blow my mind
Neighbor has one (black edition). I'm sure they are over-leveraged. I rode it the day they bought it. All the cheap plastics creaked going down the road. Everything around the dash felt like it was made of cheap materials. Not sure if the wood was real. It felt very Chrysler. A metric ton of space, but I don't see holding up.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
That Grand Wagoneer is going to end up putting Jeep out of business if they aren't careful. Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.

Living in Franklin, Tennessee and Madison, Mississippi - I have seen some stuff in my life. Nothing tops the divorce some friends just went through with all of this "acting rich" crap at the center of it. I don't agree with everything Dave Ramsey, but I am fortunate to have found him in my mid-20s and grow adverse to living beyond one's needs.

You havent seen anything until you've seen two Madison-ites go through a divorce and realize that they didn't really have anything. And the only thing of value they owned that they weren't upside down on is a house that they can't sell in a market with 7% interest rates.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Neighbor has one (black edition). I'm sure they are over-leveraged. I rode it the day they bought it. All the cheap plastics creaked going down the road. Everything around the dash felt like it was made of cheap materials. Not sure if the wood was real. It felt very Chrysler. A metric ton of space, but I don't see holding up.
Well, based on my lifetime of observing people who own Jeep/Chrysler products, I'd say there are a lot of people paying a lot of money for something that will continue to cost them a lot of money. I feel essentially the same way about Range Rovers...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well, based on my lifetime of observing people who own Jeep/Chrysler products, I'd say there are a lot of people paying a lot of money for something that will continue to cost them a lot of money. I feel essentially the same way about Range Rovers...
Truth.

I bought a Dodge Grand Caravan against my wishes, but I did have some reasoning behind it (family had an employee discount, research told me they were the best of the Chrysler/Dodge vehicles, etc.). A LOT of things have gone wrong with it, I'm talking stuff that the original warranty covered, which should be a very rare thing. And we had to replace weird shlt like piston heads a few months ago.

Anyways, I would stay away.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Truth.

I bought a Dodge Grand Caravan against my wishes, but I did have some reasoning behind it (family had an employee discount, research told me they were the best of the Chrysler/Dodge vehicles, etc.). A LOT of things have gone wrong with it, I'm talking stuff that the original warranty covered, which should be a very rare thing. And we had to replace weird shlt like piston heads a few months ago.

I rented one on a trip a few years back. <20k miles and the transmission was pretty bad. Maybe because it had been abused? No idea, but it shifted hard up/down, clunked, hesitated, etc. Otherwise, it was a very comfortable ride with plenty of power.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
What about On shoes?
Oh man, as a runner who goes through ~3 pair / year I try to support the local shoe stores. But now half their stock are On shoes and then a little of everything else - but those others are just displayed and probably not in stock, they'll have to order it. I'm like never mind, I can just order it off amazon too for a better price.

Back on topic - I cannot bring myself to spend over $30 on a cap. And I sure as hell won't order one online. Hard for me to find one that fits the way I like.

Jul 5, 2020
These hats have no defining characteristic. I haven't seen any on the Front Range yet; where are you seeing them?

Also, the best shoes in the world are Hokas. If you've got a bad back, get some Hokas now. They're basically orthopedic shoes that have been deemed so ugly they're not. But, I started limited trail running again after wearing them because they're so supportive of your back and hammies.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
That Grand Wagoneer is going to end up putting Jeep out of business if they aren't careful. Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.

Living in Franklin, Tennessee and Madison, Mississippi - I have seen some stuff in my life. Nothing tops the divorce some friends just went through with all of this "acting rich" crap at the center of it. I don't agree with everything Dave Ramsey, but I am fortunate to have found him in my mid-20s and grow adverse to living beyond one's needs.

You havent seen anything until you've seen two Madison-ites go through a divorce and realize that they didn't really have anything. And the only thing of value they owned that they weren't upside down on is a house that they can't sell in a market with 7% interest rates.
Yeah, and I’m all for spending your money on what makes you happy, but as a former Grizzlies coach once said… champagne taste on a beer budget leads to trouble

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm going to be honest, it didn't even register with me when I first posted. nice one.
I'll be honest too. I'd never even heard of the Stanley Cup Tumblers until I googled it this morning. I have a few similar ones made by whoever sells at Academy Sports. They're kind of a PITA, but in this heat I got to have something to keep my sports drink cold.

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
Soccer moms gonna ruin the ol' Stanley name for all the vets out there. Getting a Stanley thermos from your unit supply sergeant was one of the best status symbols out there. Those things last forever. I have one that's about 30 years old. Still has a couple dents in it from HMMV load outs.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Truth.

You’re a minivan driver?

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
On shoes are overpriced, but not more than any other shoe.

You want to see an overpriced shoe? Google Golden Goose.
oh my god wtf GIF by GaryVee

Reactions: POTUS

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Let me guess, swinger lifestyle and she enjoyed it a little too much (and much more popular than him)?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The new redneck status symbol. Move over, Yeti...The new product that fools everywhere (especially in the southeast) are going to overpay for are hats.
Meet Melin hats.
Hopefully they stay in the Southeast.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What about On shoes?
I bought a pair because for some reason they were in the discount aisle- $95 still, but they looked good.
Used them for just wearing around and while they were fine, they were also unimpressive. They look neat, but I didnt see the value when compared to an entry level $60 Saucony or Asics shoe.

I think shoes are tough to claim as status symbol since everyone's feet are different and people value different feel/support.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Paid for mine in cash.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
The way I see Dave Ramsey is he sacrifices the front end of life for the good of the back end. Most people want to have fun while they're physically able, so they go into debt at a young age. His advice isn't pleasant but it will guarantee you are comfortable in your retirement years. There's a lot of folks out there in their 70s who work because they have to, not because they want to.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Yep. So many people over leveraged today.
Haven't seen many of these in Flohood yet, those of us from Stankin' Rankin are behind the times by about 5 years.
There are a couple in Madison. They sold 11k last year, up from 2k in 2021. They want to sell 30k a year so they are way behind, but don't want to drop the price for fear of lowering the prestige.

A comfortably equipped one is north of $100,000. For a Jeep. I can't figure it out. Someone explained the rise in the Kia Telluride to me - it's the cheapest SUV that feels and looks luxurious - its the BMW 3 series of the suburbanites. But the Grand Wagoneer? Get a Lexus LX if you are going to spend 100k on a vehicle. Hell, you can get a decent Porsche Cayenne for that.

They are picking up sales from the Expedition drop off it appears. The Tahoe remains king in this group.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 2.50.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 2.50.24 PM.png
    232.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
A comfortably equipped one is north of $100,000. For a Jeep. I can't figure it out. Someone explained the rise in the Kia Telluride to me - it's the cheapest SUV that feels and looks luxurious - its the BMW 3 series of the suburbanites. But the Grand Wagoneer? Get a Lexus LX if you are going to spend 100k on a vehicle.
Yes, the Kia Telluride is all over the suburbs around me- its 3 rows, looks quaility, and is only borderline goofy expensive instead of straight up unabashedly goofy expensive. The Telluride's rise has been interesting to watch.

I dont remember the last time I was in the market for a vehicle and gave more than a dismissive glace to Jeep.
A neighbor bought a Grand Cherokee in 2021, it was like the only vehicle even sitting on a lot, and it made sense why- that thing was the model they had introduced back a decade earlier. My gosh- a tired 10 year old platform with a sticker price higher than competitor offerings that were actually refreshed since Obama's second term in office.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Supposedly they dry really fast, which is actually practical for college students who walk to class every day.

Seems like at the beach earlier this summer all the boujee had moved on to Hokas
I went the other way. Moved from Saucony to Brooks and loved my Brooks but a friend recommended Hoka. Liked Hoka but not as much as Brooks then I googled most comfortable shoe and landed on On Cloud. I love them. I’m a big dude but walk a ton and don’t really sit down a lot when I am out and about. I stand the entire time at my daughter’s soccer games for instance. I wore them all this season and my feet felt better than they ever had at tournaments.

Reactions: DawgInThe256

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
So I googled them...... I've seen those before and I am soooooo up to speed in fashion that I thought they were just a new style of Converse with a bigger star.
On Star has moved from an emergency service button on your rearview to shoe manufacturing?

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

You think Franklin is bad? Have you driven around Brentwood? They make the Franklinites blush. But then again, the influx of Californians has really increased Franklin’s living-in-the-moment lifestyle.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login