OT: This might be the best tool I've ever bought...

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have been using the 40v Ryobi (expand it)) string trimmer for about a month.
A Leaf Blower is in transit, 40v. and battery. So far so good.

This battery stuff is a racket.
I bought a 40V Ryobi Blower on sale in 2018. Used it all the time for years for regular porch cleaning of leaves and dirt. My old gas blower sucked for that because all the fumes would get trapped in the porch and creep into the house pissing my wife off.

Now it doubles down as a snow removal tool for half the year. Just got up this morning and blew a few inches off the porch, cars, and driveway in 15 minutes. Battery was down to one bar but it got the job done.

The kit came with 2 batteries and the second one died in the first year for no reason. But this one is still kicking àss even in frigid temps. I fully expected it to only last a couple of years max when I bought it. Pleasantly surprised by its longevity (at least the one battery.)

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I have watched a few videos of people using these adapters. With these if you have a Dewalt battery powered piece of equipment but find a good deal on a Milwaukee you can interchange the batteries from different companies using these adapters. They make different ones for different companies to swap back and forth. Anybody tried them yet?

Power Tool Battery Adapter

Trazom

Mar 26, 2023
Interesting, that I have one of these EXACT same saws. Ordered it online, and have been using it ever since the ice storm wreaked havoc on my trees. It works flawlessly and easy to use. Even when the chain popped off a couple times, it was so easy to remove cover, clean it, and put the chain back on. Best money I ever spent. Bought the largest one they had at 16". Wish they had a 18 or 20", cause I would have bought it in a NY minute. Just hope the battery holds up for a long time, because like all these new electric stuff we're seeing pop up, the batteries are not cheap at all.
Not sure if you meant the 18s and 20s were out of stock at the time or if they Dewalt didn’t make one at the time. If it’s the later, they do now: https://www.dewalt.com/products/outdoor/cutting-pruning-tools

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
For the gas powered saws, avoid Stihl like the plague. They're garbage. I broke one these plastic saws twice doing simple yard work cutting. So many plastic parts (reason I don't use Stihl either).

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
For the gas powered saws, avoid Stihl like the plague. They're garbage. I broke one these plastic saws twice doing simple yard work cutting. So many plastic parts (reason I don't use Stihl either).
Stihl makes great weed eaters but I hate their chainsaws.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I have the 56v version from EGO brand. It is awesome and everyone I have ever let use it goes out and buys one for small cutting around their house. At this moment, I can go grab mine, check the chain oil level, cut a downed limb up, stack the wood and be back inside my house before I even got my 2 stroke saw cranked.

I also own the weed trimmer, edger, blower, and hedge clipper. All work faster and better off of the same battery system. Only way to go.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Converting to electric for weedeater and shrub hedger this year. Just sick to death of always having to work on the dang 2 stroke engines. The Ryobi Xpand it set I've had for years, I'm on my third head because they just die. Had one where the muffler broke off it's joints, and I started getting tinnitus it was so dang loud. Stripped the screw that holds the attachments on off one of them and there's no replacement option without buying a whole new head. Takes me ~30-40 minutes to edge and trim my yard so a battery powered one just makes too much sense. Probably not going with another Ryobi though.

I've got a big Husqvarna backpack blower though that I'll never get rid of. Too many oak trees around me, when I go out in the fall to blow leaves it takes me 3 tanks of gas and about 4 hours to get them all. I'd need a dozen batteries to get through all that.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Converting to electric for weedeater and shrub hedger this year. Just sick to death of always having to work on the dang 2 stroke engines. The Ryobi Xpand it set I've had for years, I'm on my third head because they just die. Had one where the muffler broke off it's joints, and I started getting tinnitus it was so dang loud. Stripped the screw that holds the attachments on off one of them and there's no replacement option without buying a whole new head. Takes me ~30-40 minutes to edge and trim my yard so a battery powered one just makes too much sense. Probably not going with another Ryobi though.

I've got a big Husqvarna backpack blower though that I'll never get rid of. Too many oak trees around me, when I go out in the fall to blow leaves it takes me 3 tanks of gas and about 4 hours to get them all. I'd need a dozen batteries to get through all that.
My backpack blower is the only 2 stroke I still have. I have the same problem with massive oak trees. Everything else is battery.

Baddmann

Sep 20, 2015
I replaced the gas weed eater (4 stroke=weak) with a 40v Ryobi expand it and was able to use all my attachments. The 40v weed eater is a game changer. I loved it so much I went all in on Mower, chain saw, blower, backpack sprayer, etc. I no longer own gas cans. Here are some thoughts:

Weed eater: If you have to switch, get one of the 40v+ models. This Ryobi kicks *** and I can edge and trim and I barely use 1 bar of battery. Also has plenty of power. 2-stroke power without the hassle.

Mower: Millions dollar idea with a $5 mower. Ryobi should have teamed up with a mower manufacturer to get this right, but instead built their own. Mower holds 2 batteries and it takes both 6ah batteries to mow my lawn (typical subdivision size). However Mower is a fragile. I have had to straighten the wheels multiple times.

Chain saw: Identical to comments above. I can cut 6-10 inch limbs for the fire pit all day and I only use 1 battery. Plenty of power.

Blower: Much better than my 18v blower.

Back Pack sprayer: Man Style! This thing is much more powerful than expected. I bought to spray round-up in back field area and spray bifen around the house. Almost too strong to use inside.

Fan: 40v fan is better than 18v fan. Lasts longer and blows harder (TWSS)

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Hard to beat my 6 yr old $129 42cc 18" Poulan from Harbor Freight. I may use it 2 days a year and it always cranks and runs. I keep 3 chains for it ready to go in case of emergency but have had no issues. Suggestion for some of you, when you just have limbs down your sawzall/reciprocating saw is the way to go. Buy some long woodcutting blades and get after it, much lighter than a chainsaw and less dangerous. I cut fallen limbs and prune shrubs and limbs all the time with mine.
I second this. The Diablo pruning blades are better than a demo blade but even that will work. I’ve tried all of them and it is the best. As I’ve mentioned, im a plumber (which means we dig a lot). Roots can be a pain. When we surpass what the trusty loppers will handle, it’s straight to the cordless sawzall we go. I couldn’t stand the thought of using my chainsaw in the dirt. It’s nothing to cut through a root as big as your fist with dirt all around it. Hell, when we do storm clean-up around the house, I let my sons cut limbs with it with no fear of kick back or anything. It don’t breeze through it like a CS but it is much safer and convenient.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
No pull cord
No mixed gas
No ear protection
Quick and simple chain adjustment.. no wrench

If I never skin my knuckles and cuss a blue streak at that Stihl up in my shop it'll be too soon.

View attachment 329860
I bought an EGO weed trimmer, blower and chainsaw. Love them all. If your'e the kinda guy that just generally uses a chainsaw for occasional use around the house then the battery powered is the way to go, IMO. I live in the Amory area and with the recent storms I used mine a lot. Now, it couldn't do much damage to an oak tree that was 10' in circumference but for the smaller trees and to cut back and prune limbs it is great. Guys that had stihl chainsaws were impressed with it. Fortunately for me I have multiple batteries so if one goes down I have a backup but I usually get about 45 mins to an hour on single charge.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
How come EV's are so controversial and argumentative while "ET's" receive universal praise and go unchallenged?***

What kind of man are you if you're not yanking a cord over and over, sweating and dropping F bombs loud enough for your neighbors to hear doing yard work? Throw in over filling the gas tank and getting gas all over the 17ing place and tell me you don't miss it.

• Haha
Reactions: TrueMaroonGrind

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Get back to us in 10 years. That’s the test of a good chainsaw.
That is the problem with battery powered tools. Eventually the battery will go kaput and they won't make that exact type anymore. So then you have to throw everything out and buy all new tools.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I’ve got a Stihl electric trimmer that will barely last over an hour, backpack blower that lasts barely over an hour and a push mower (barely an hour). I’m unimpressed.

Charging is a PITA wait.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
IMG_8485.jpeg
Bought this one for cleanup when the tornado hit Olive Branch in 2020. My brother in law, and dad are constantly borrowing it.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I’ve got a Stihl electric trimmer that will barely last over an hour, backpack blower that lasts barely over an hour and a push mower (barely an hour). I’m unimpressed.

Charging is a PITA wait.
That was the endgame for me and electric tools. I had a weed eater, pruner, blower, and hedge trimmer all using the same Black and Decker battery. The weed eater came with two batteries, and everything else came with one. By the end it was taking all five batteries on an overnight charge to do my fenceline. When I couldn't replace the batteries, everything became junk and went into the trash.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I've tried electric. Other than string trimmers and drills, I would stick with gas. Too much drain on battery for chainsaws and blowers.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login