OT: Those damn slow left lane drivers

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
have helped Mississippi rank high for aggressive drivers.

From the article:

6. Mississippi​

Mississippi’s score: 85.2 out of 100

Drivers in Mississippi are most likely to be confronted by an angry driver who has gotten out of their vehicle due to road rage.

• Mississippi ranks highest for the percentage of drivers who report another driver has exited their vehicle to yell at or fight with them (13.5%).

• The Magnolia state has the third-highest percentage of drivers who have been forced off the road by another driver (13.5%).

• It has the ninth-highest percentage of drivers who experience road rage very frequently from other drivers in their home state (7.5%).
  • The state also has the 11th-highest percentage of drivers who say another driver has cut them off on purpose (43%).

• Mississippi ranks the 11th highest for the percentage of drivers who report another driver has tried to block their car from merging or changing lanes (35.5%).
Color me shocked, shocked I say. Between using no turn signals, tailgating, people on their damn phone and people in general just being a prick, I'm surprised Mississippi is not ranked higher on this list.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
I am actually a little surprised by this. I figured FL, GA, TX, and LA would be much higher in the SE alone.
As a born and raised Mississippian that has lived in Texas for the last 18 years, let me say that Mississippi is nowhere in the same conversation to Texas when it comes to any form of bad driving. If some survey says otherwise, just note that it is completely wrong.

This guy would be a GOOD driver in Texas:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
About four weeks ago I pulled onto Hwy 80. There was a hill, and I could not see the traffic. The road to my neighborhood is only about 100 yards away. A Car flying way too came over the hill and the driver got pissed I pulled out and was only going the distant I was going and the speed since I was turning. He got bumper to bumper blowing his horn at me. I rolled my window down and gave him the California Wave. He pulled into my neighborhood following me. So, I pulled over. We both got out of the cars at the same time. Once he saw me, he got back in his car and drove away. I don't know what he was thinking.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
As a born and raised Mississippian that has lived in Texas for the last 18 years, let me say that Mississippi is nowhere in the same conversation to Texas when it comes to any form of bad driving. If some survey says otherwise, just note that it is completely wrong.

This guy would be a GOOD driver in Texas:
Every time I go to Dallas, it seems like 20% of drivers just have nothing to live for.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
About four weeks ago I pulled onto Hwy 80. There was a hill, and I could not see the traffic. The road to my neighborhood is only about 100 yards away. A Car flying way too came over the hill and the driver got pissed I pulled out and was only going the distant I was going and the speed since I was turning. He got bumper to bumper blowing his horn at me. I rolled my window down and gave him the California Wave. He pulled into my neighborhood following me. So, I pulled over. We both got out of the cars at the same time. Once he saw me, he got back in his car and drove away. I don't know what he was thinking.

The answer to the last question is "He wasn't".

I don't care how big or tough you are, I wouldn't get out of a car in that situation unless I had a gun in my hand and was prepared to use it. Because the other idiot very well might decide to use one. Just not worth it.

ETA - the idiots who drive like maniacs and then get mad because you slow them down are among the worst. I pulled out the other day to cross four lanes of traffic and pull in a gas station across from where I started. Had plenty of room and time until I realized one of the vehicles coming in cross traffic was doing about 30 over the limit in a 40 mph zone. Still was out of his way and he laid on the horn anyway. I have very negative thoughts in those situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrobb

patdog

May 28, 2007
Cell phones are a problem. If I'm behind somebody on a two lane who is constantly surging to 65 and then inexplicably dropping to 40, it's always a 17'n phone issue. Put the GD thing down or pull over.
I'd much rather the other driver on the road blow .08 and be paying attention than be completely sober and on their cell phone. Cell phone stays in pocket when driving.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Cell phones are a problem. If I'm behind somebody on a two lane who is constantly surging to 65 and then inexplicably dropping to 40, it's always a 17'n phone issue. Put the GD thing down or pull over.
This. It is also usually why cars don't move when the light turns green.

A few years ago, I was driving up 400 in Atlanta and an older gentleman was doing the erratic speed thing, and he kept glancing down at his lap. He seemed a little old to be the texting type, so I was watching him as I passed....He was reading a book!

Last edited:
Reactions: She Mate Me

patdog

May 28, 2007
This. It is also usually why cars don't move when the light turns green.

A few years ago, I was driving up 400 in Atlanta was doing the erratic speed thing, and he kept glancing down at his lap. He seemed a little old to be the texting type, so I was watching him as I passed....He was reading a book!
400 is a speedway with cars going anywhere from 50 to 100 in random lanes.

Reactions: JackShephard

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
As long as there is no contact and no one gets hurt, there is absolutely no reason to get upset over near collisions, or people inconveniencing you on the road. (This does not apply to slow drivers in the left lane, who should have their licenses revoked)

I've had a some road rage reactions directed at me over the last few weeks. Two of them were caused by a speeding driver like you described. The other was totally my fault, but we were in a mall parking lot moving under 10 mph.

Two of the drivers, including the guy at the mall, reacted by getting in front of me and slowing down to crawl. The other just pulled up very close to my door at a red-light.

My new reaction is to laugh at them and waive, or flash a peace sign. Surprisingly, this does not de-escalate the situation.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"Four of the top 10 states with the most confrontational drivers are in the South, including Oklahoma, Mississippi, Virginia and Maryland."

Hmm Looks to me like there's really only one of the "top ten states" is in the "south". The bottom line is this whole article is BS.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Lived over 20 in MS, 12 in Memphis, 7 in Nawlins. My first week in Fort Worth I was in the right lane on 820 going around 65 and was passed by a Crotch Rocket riding on the back wheel which was an indicator of things to come. Cars approach like your about to be rear ended then barely miss chipping you before getting over to pass. Driving slow in the left lane can draw bullets to your rear windshield. The most horrific crashes I've ever seen many times spending over an hour stuck waiting to get around. 3 of those I later found involved fatalities and I've been here 20 yrs now and I rarely go to Dallas which is worse and causes me anxiety when I do.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
have helped Mississippi rank high for aggressive drivers.

From the article:

6. Mississippi​

Mississippi’s score: 85.2 out of 100

Drivers in Mississippi are most likely to be confronted by an angry driver who has gotten out of their vehicle due to road rage.

• Mississippi ranks highest for the percentage of drivers who report another driver has exited their vehicle to yell at or fight with them (13.5%).

• The Magnolia state has the third-highest percentage of drivers who have been forced off the road by another driver (13.5%).

• It has the ninth-highest percentage of drivers who experience road rage very frequently from other drivers in their home state (7.5%).
  • The state also has the 11th-highest percentage of drivers who say another driver has cut them off on purpose (43%).

• Mississippi ranks the 11th highest for the percentage of drivers who report another driver has tried to block their car from merging or changing lanes (35.5%).
Color me shocked, shocked I say. Between using no turn signals, tailgating, people on their damn phone and people in general just being a prick, I'm surprised Mississippi is not ranked higher on this list.
While I agree wholeheartedly that most of us idiots in MS can't drive worth a flip, I immediately toss this list in the trash when I see that Texas is not ranked #1. I have driven in and across almost 40 states now, and I can tell you unequivocally, that Texas is the worst by a wide margin. Granted, I have not driven in the New York City area, but I would rather drive in Los Angeles or San Francisco than Houston, Dallas, or Austin. I would much rather drive in the rural areas of New York or California (or anywhere else for that matter) than the rural areas of Texas. Any list that doesn't have Texas drivers as THE worst in the nation is a garbage list. Louisiana and Mississippi are bad, but Texas is in a league of it's own.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
I'll triple dog raise you I-85 from midtown Atlanta to 285. And if that doesn't make you want to commit atrocities, try I-75 from Stockbridge to Locust Grove. Bonus points if you do either on a Friday from noon to 7 pm.
Atlanta is the ONLY place I would put even near the same category as the stuff I mentioned in Texas. Yes, it's horrible there, but I still think I'd rather drive Atlanta than Houston or Dallas. I'd probably take Austin over Atlanta though.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Atlanta is the ONLY place I would put even near the same category as the stuff I mentioned in Texas. Yes, it's horrible there, but I still think I'd rather drive Atlanta than Houston or Dallas. I'd probably take Austin over Atlanta though.

I've driven in a lot of places for a long time now and I still get sweaty palms and shortness of breath when I enter the outskirts of Atlanta on an interstate.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
I've driven in a lot of places for a long time now and I still get sweaty palms and shortness of breath when I enter the outskirts of Atlanta on an interstate.
Well, I'll be honest, it's been more than 5 years since I've driven Atlanta. Could be worse now, or worse than I remember. But, yes, it's up there among the worst, maybe even THE worst. Texas just has several horrible areas, and their rural areas are worse than anyone else's too.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Well, I'll be honest, it's been more than 5 years since I've driven Atlanta. Could be worse now, or worse than I remember. But, yes, it's up there among the worst, maybe even THE worst. Texas just has several horrible areas, and their rural areas are worse than anyone else's too.

I've spent basically no time in Texas in the last 20 years, so I have no opinion on the current state of driving there.

But I will say that the whole "Don't Mess with Texas" thing is a misnomer.

The attitude I've overwhelmingly observed from Texans is "Don't Mess with Me or My Freedom. I'm Doing Whatever tha 17 I Want."

Probably produces some seriously bad and dangerous driving.

Reactions: mcdawg22 and HRMSU

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
We were coming back through Atlanta a few weeks ago and I took about a 30 minute detour through the country instead of going through it, I absolutely hate driving through it.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I am actually a little surprised by this. I figured FL, GA, TX, and LA would be much higher in the SE alone.
For the most part, outside of the three metro areas, Texas was relatively calm. However, having a gun pulled on me when I first moved to Texas because I dared honk at a dude who nearly sideswiped me

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
While I agree wholeheartedly that most of us idiots in MS can't drive worth a flip, I immediately toss this list in the trash when I see that Texas is not ranked #1. I have driven in and across almost 40 states now, and I can tell you unequivocally, that Texas is the worst by a wide margin. Granted, I have not driven in the New York City area, but I would rather drive in Los Angeles or San Francisco than Houston, Dallas, or Austin. I would much rather drive in the rural areas of New York or California (or anywhere else for that matter) than the rural areas of Texas. Any list that doesn't have Texas drivers as THE worst in the nation is a garbage list. Louisiana and Mississippi are bad, but Texas is in a league of it's own.
It's not a list of bad drivers, or aggressive drivers. It's a list of confrontational drivers, i.e., people with enough road rage that they will get out of their vehicle and confront you. I don't know if swerving towards you, or getting in front of you and then slowing to a crawl counts....but confrontation is what the ranking is about.

Houston and Dallas are much worse places as far as bad and aggressive driving, and just for traffic in general. People here in Atlanta complain about the traffic and the like, and I just shake my head. Some of them think it gets hot here, too.

My biggest fear driving in Alabama and Mississippi are the number of cars that do not appear to be road worthy. Alabama probably leads the nation in yhe number of cats abandoned on the side of the road.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Lived over 20 in MS, 12 in Memphis, 7 in Nawlins. My first week in Fort Worth I was in the right lane on 820 going around 65 and was passed by a Crotch Rocket riding on the back wheel which was an indicator of things to come. Cars approach like your about to be rear ended then barely miss chipping you before getting over to pass. Driving slow in the left lane can draw bullets to your rear windshield. The most horrific crashes I've ever seen many times spending over an hour stuck waiting to get around. 3 of those I later found involved fatalities and I've been here 20 yrs now and I rarely go to Dallas which is worse and causes me anxiety when I do.
8 million people in the metroplex....that's more than the other 3 places you listed combined. Toll roads and express lanes generally help weed out the idiots and uninsured but it's not free.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
It's not a list of bad drivers, or aggressive drivers. It's a list of confrontational drivers, i.e., people with enough road rage that they will get out of their vehicle and confront you. I don't know if swerving towards you, or getting in front of you and then slowing to a crawl counts....but confrontation is what the ranking is about.

Houston and Dallas are much worse places as far as bad and aggressive driving, and just for traffic in general. People here in Atlanta complain about the traffic and the like, and I just shake my head. Some of them think it gets hot here, too.

My biggest fear driving in Alabama and Mississippi are the number of cars that do not appear to be road worthy. Alabama probably leads the nation in yhe number of cats abandoned on the side of the road.
There is a reason you don't road rage enough to get out of your car in TX....errbody got guns!!

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'd give an honorable mention to both 240 in Memphis, and 220 in Jackson as they serve as local NASCAR practice tracks. Rubbing is racing, after all.
Memphis requested that Tennessee Highway Patrol come in and have more of a presence on 240. They have been hammering some folks with tickets. For years it’s basically been the autobahn.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login