OT: Too Much or Pragmatic?

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
I just found out that a co-worker is going to part time. He's in a very in demand field that pays well. His wife will continue to work full time. His state reasons for doing so are that the country is heading south, the dollar may not be worth anything anyway and that is what he has been working full time to earn and he wants to spend most of his time at home to learn how to grow enough food to feed his family when it all goes to pot.

*He is a consumer of far right conspiracies, but I was surprised by this. I guess that at some point the world could get back to a point that you grow it or kill it yourself or don't eat, but I didn't have that on my near term horizon. I figured the Pack would have all the right answers, so here I am. Seriously, this is a pretty good cross section of society on SPS. I'm curious as to what you think.

Except @paindonthurt, he'd just shoot it, whatever it is.***
*INB4 da locke

People should know how to grow their own food anyway. I'm admittedly ignorant in this dept currently, but good for the dude. It'll be necessary when the inevitable food shortages hit bc big crops were lost due to increasingly severe weather.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Lifestraw. $5.
Yes they work and I've used before. They have a life span and are a lot of work to produce a little water, plus you'll need a suitable raw water source. Better to have a store of gallons of drinking water (and raw water) AND have life straws.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Yes they work and I've used before. They have a life span and are a lot of work to produce a little water, plus you'll need a suitable raw water source. Better to have a store of gallons of drinking water (and raw water) AND have life straws.
Good to know. What's the life span?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I just found out that a co-worker is going to part time. He's in a very in demand field that pays well. His wife will continue to work full time. His state reasons for doing so are that the country is heading south, the dollar may not be worth anything anyway and that is what he has been working full time to earn and he wants to spend most of his time at home to learn how to grow enough food to feed his family when it all goes to pot.

He is a consumer of far right conspiracies, but I was surprised by this. I guess that at some point the world could get back to a point that you grow it or kill it yourself or don't eat, but I didn't have that on my near term horizon. I figured the Pack would have all the right answers, so here I am. Seriously, this is a pretty good cross section of society on SPS. I'm curious as to what you think.

Can you pass along his contact info so I can sell him some volcano insurance?

• Haha
Reactions: horshack.sixpack

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Every thread... I swear it eventually turns political in every OT thread.

It's not your response at all. It wasn't the post that started it. You were baited by the tone of the original post.

I find it crazy that every OT thread turns into a politically themed internet battle of Left vs. Right. Some are obviously going to spark debate. When I shared the Miller Light commercial, I knew we would have some back and forth. I can handle that unless it gets personal. IMO, it makes the person who starts hurling personal insults look silly to me because this is still the internet.

Do we like to fight that much? It feels like we do sometimes.
Oddly enough, I agree with most all of the folks on here SOME of the time. but am amazed at how quickly many of you go to hurling insults that aren't in the least bit clever.
Now some of you are pretty good at it, both in substance and style.
But I'm surprised how so many of you illiterate troglodyte bastards made it out of high school much less Mithithipee-thate.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I understand, but consider traffic will be gridlocked, roads may be closed and gas stations may not be open. What if there is some type of EMP disables vehicles? Best to figure out how to "shelter-in-place" for at least a few weeks at home. If you're in a close knit neighborhood, you could all band together.

If I believed in owning firearms (and I don't and I love Hillary), at the residence i slept in every night, I'd have a gun safe full of ARs and hand guns with high capacity mags with thousands of rounds of 5.6 and 9mm to go with my food stores, drinking water and generators.
I'd still rather grab a bike and get somewhere a little more secluded. If you're in a densely populated area of the country, you're probably just 17ed. But I feel like in a lot of the southeast, a lot of people can get somewhere reasonably secluded within 30 miles or their work or home. 8 miles per hour on a bike and you can get 40 miles in 5 hours of biking. Certainly if everybody had that idea, it wouldn't work. But I think people that do that would be the exception, not the rule.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008

He is a consumer of far right conspiracies, but I was surprised by this. I guess that at some point the world could get back to a point that you grow it or kill it yourself or don't eat, but I didn't have that on my near term horizon. I figured the Pack would have all the right answers, so here I am. Seriously, this is a pretty good cross section of society on SPS. I'm curious as to what you think.

Probably best to just go ahead and learn Mandarin.

Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I'd still rather grab a bike and get somewhere a little more secluded.

But how would I carry all my necessary "stuff?"

steve martin film GIF

Reactions: dorndawg

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I'd still rather grab a bike and get somewhere a little more secluded. If you're in a densely populated area of the country, you're probably just 17ed. But I feel like in a lot of the southeast, a lot of people can get somewhere reasonably secluded within 30 miles or their work or home. 8 miles per hour on a bike and you can get 40 miles in 5 hours of biking. Certainly if everybody had that idea, it wouldn't work. But I think people that do that would be the exception, not the rule.
I feel like a majority of folks, especially on this board, would just assume die before riding a bike 40 miles. Or 10.***

• Haha
Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Nobody that is truly serious about prepping if they live east of I-35 in the United States. They are just playing pretend prepper. If they are serious, their reasoning skills are not great. The real believers move to Alaska, out here to the mountains, or the desert southwest. Look at the lights. That's where the people are...

2j6q1kn06qf31.jpg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I feel like a majority of folks, especially on this board, would just assume die before riding a bike 40 miles. Or 10.***
Oh no doubt. I'm not planning on seeing or hearing from any of you on the other side of the apocalypse. Unless I catch one of y'all early on in the cannibalism stage where sixpackers will be prized targets because they have managed to still maintain a fat layer through the early phases of the apocalypse.

Reactions: AlCoDog

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
Fox News clapping you old 17ers cheeks when it comes to the truth and reality. Just lay back and continue to enjoy the ride...nobody gets out of this game we call life alive anyways

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Like so many conspiracy posts or rants, this covers so much that it becomes difficult to even respond to. Why is it that so few conspiracy folk post about 1 baseless claim at a time? Why is it so common to instead toss the entire casserole against the wall and see what sticks?

- Did Faucci ask for money to develop covid-19? That is what you claim in your prior post, but you dont support it with your comment here because you just claim that Faucci asked for some money to fund research. Surely you can see how those two are not the same thing, right? Below is a snippet from an article that is posed up on congress.gov and you can easily see that the NIH did not approve(or therefore fund) research that would make covid19 more dangerous to humans. Furthermore, because research on this group of prevalent viruses, vaccinations were quickly made.

- Who in our government is deep in bed with a communist regime that just made Russia its own vassal state? I honestly dont think you know the meaning of the words you typed. Do you know what 'vassal' means? If so, why is Russia its own vassal state suddenly?

- Yes the US should be concerned with Russia, China, Iran, and others. Add North Korea in. Add some Middle Eastern countries in there. The US should be, and is, concerned with all of those countries. Its well known that all those countries have, and continue to, periodically undermine the US' goals. That doesnt mean we should start WW3. If that isnt what you mean by referencing Archduke, I am not sure why you mentioned him.

- I really like how you managed to complain about the federal Dept of Ed. This is a Dept that has been under Republican leadership for 12 of the last 22 years. Apparently a Dept that has been under the leadership of 4 different presidents, with half of them D and half R, has actively kept the people from being able to learn and recognize 'the truth'.

17ing clown.
You sad, blind, follower of sock puppets.

1. If you don’t see how legislators for decades on both sides and this administration are making decisions and policies that undermines US national security and its economic sovereignty, I can’t help you.

2. French President Marcon just said this very thing about Russia/China. The reason why, is, since you’re not paying attention, China just a couple weeks ago decreed forcing Russia, Iran, Venezuela, and other “axis” members to conduct international trade and provide aid to Russia and trade only in Chinese currency. For morons who don’t understand like you, that means Russia must take it up the azz by converting their Ruble to Yuan to settle trade with China.

3. Russia and China have been working together to de-couple from the U.S. dollar for years to avoid any upcoming possible economic sanctions. Sound familiar? Since China cares enough to prolong Russian agony in this war, but in no way prop up the Russian Ruble, many reasonable and insightful people recognize the true intentions and strategies the Chinese are employing, and that leaves you out of the loop of reality, as usual.

4. Reading comprehension. Get some. I guess your’s was yet another victim of our education system. I’ll gladly shitttt on both sides of the isle on my comment about DOE. If you remotely think I’m blind to the fact that the the DOE was instituted by LBJ but has been equally screwed up by countless (R)s and (D)s, you don’t understand me at all. See where our collective graduation rates and test scores rank against the world and tell me that this department isn’t the most useless bureaucratic clown show in our government, and that’s saying something.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I don't need to prep. I've got a National Championship TShirt , a National Championship cap, and the memories of Omaha. I can live off that for years. That and 18000 gallons of highly chlorinated water in the back yard. Just be warned, I can bust a cap in yo azz at over 1000 yards.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
Our government has been funding "growing viruses" for a long, long time. This is not a controversial opinion. It's a fact. Virology is a thing after all.

Was COVID-19 leaked from a lab in Wuhan that was doing gain of function research? We'll probably never know for certain, but that theory is not even approaching tin-foil-hat level conspiracy. It's curious to me that the very people who most ardently "trust the science" have such an aversion to asking questions and positing hypotheses (you know, like in the scientific method).

I don’t think any honest scientist can look at the data and say definitively one way or the other. Like I said early in this, I tend to follow Occam’s razor in situations like this. Early, some very good Coronavirologists published the sequences looked naturally occurring, but at this point I think there is well above and beyond reasonable information to support a lab release. I think either natural or lab release is equally plausible and the lack of forthcoming information from China makes me lean toward a release.

For gain of function, there is double talk. Here’s how both “sides” of this argument are right.

NIH has a very specific definition and policy for gain of function research and a P3CO policy regarding its review. When Fauci said they didn’t fund gain of function research directly, he is referring to that narrow definition.

When Paul or most people in general talks gain of function, they are talking about research where the microbe gains some ability, regardless of if it falls under the NIH policy.

That’s how these discussions go in circles. There’s a ton of general gain of function research going on and I think NIH needs to broaden the definition of GoF under its policy so more research gets tighter review before funding.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I don't need to prep. I've got a National Championship TShirt , a National Championship cap, and the memories of Omaha. I can live off that for years. That and 18000 gallons of highly chlorinated water in the back yard. Just be warned, I can bust a cap in yo azz at over 1000 yards.
Good for you. I haven’t had an opportunity to shoot at 1000 yet but feel very confident at 700.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login