OT: Torpedo grass control

Dawgbyte

Sep 22, 2011
This was discussed a while back but wanted to see if anyone had come across any other successful remedies for torpedo grass. I’m currently using fusillade to kill it in flower beds. I’ve used quinchlorac in my Bermuda yard but it only seems to stunt it some. I’ve not been able to kill it.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Quinclorac 75 df at 21 oz an acre then three weeks later the same rate will take a couple of years to get most of it. Patience is needed with torpedo grass.

Last edited:

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
It's crabgrass that I'm fighting.

And whatever those runners are that have a little bit of purple in them, IDK what it's called.

The struggle is real.

Fktdawg

Aug 22, 2012
Quinclorac with MSO (Methylated Seed Oil) helps herbicide to stick and penetrate leaf surface better.

I sprayed for crabgrass and torpedo. It knocked out crabgrass very quickly.
And I am most impressed that it knocked out the torpedo also.

I did have to make an second app for the torpedo but did not mind at all.

I would add some liquid fert as well as some chelated iron when spraying to reduce yellowing of your desired turf.

I have Bermuda and zoysia. Quinclorac will injure Centipede.
Definitely want to read the label.

I use a 3gal backpack sprayer at 1Tbsp of the Quinclorac per gal water hand 2 Tbsp MSO/gal

I will apply pre-emerge next February to reduced most summer weeds and hopefully won’t have to spray anymore.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Does it look like this? If it does that’s Virginia buttonweed.

View attachment 24668
Virginia Buttonweed and Florida Pulsey would be the death of me is someone didn’t recommend MSMA a couple of years ago on here. I know plus has surfacant but I still add it to kill those waxy pain in the asses and it definitely helps.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Buy some Cimarron herbicide. It’s expensive but it doesn’t take much per use. I have a small bottle I’ve had for several years and it is death in Virginia buttonweed.

Dogpatrol

Mar 12, 2021
Will Image or Roundup for lawns which both have quinclorac be strong enough to kill the torpedo grass?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The Roundup for Lawns has quinclorac in it as well as dicamba which will help with broadleafs. Image is imazaquin which I don’t think is very effective against torpedo grass. Imazaquin is really good on yellow nutsedge.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
The Roundup for Lawns has quinclorac in it as well as dicamba which will help with broadleafs. Image is imazaquin which I don’t think is very effective against torpedo grass. Imazaquin is really good on yellow nutsedge.

I talked to DrTurfDirt from the turf sciences department a few years ago about torpedo grass, and he told me that the only thing that will really get rid of it is a combo of Fusilade and Roundup hit at two applications at a very heavy rate a few weeks apart. He said to then till it up and make sure you get all of the rhizomes out, as they are very deep (up to a foot deep). He said I'd have to start over with that patch of yard. Lawn care guy that I used in a pinch after I couldn't mow it myself for a few weeks after surgery brought it in on his mower.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’ve never dealt with torpedo grass so I’m not familiar with it but if it’s like Johnsongrass (a rhizome grass) then I’m assuming there’s a certain time in its lifecycle that if you sprayed it, you’ll get the rhizomes as well.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
This is the only way - nuking your yard and starting over. Even then you have to diligently rake out ALL the rhizomes otherwise you’ll be back at it a year later. We’ve stopped using river sand because of the threat of torpedo grass.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login