So the B1G/SEC meeting brought up direct scheduling between the two conferences.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Get ready for a mandatory OOC game vs a Big 10 team. May substitute that for the current P4 scheduling mandate. Or may add it as a 2nd P4 game mandate. And whether it's a 1 or 2 game mandate may hinge on whether the SEC adds a 9th conference game or not.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Get ready for a mandatory OOC game vs a Big 10 team. May substitute that for the current P4 scheduling mandate. Or may add it as a 2nd P4 game mandate. And whether it's a 1 or 2 game mandate may hinge on whether the SEC adds a 9th conference game or not.
Yup. Either way, we getting 10-game P4 (or P2, whatever) schedule.

Reactions: patdog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
tv news 80s GIF

Aug 22, 2012
I don't like where this is headed.
Why, I’d much rather have a 9th sec game or another real non conference game. Have one warmup cupcake (which nobody is a cupcake for us right now) then games people want to actually watch.
Way too many crappy games already in the current format with what we are paying for tickets.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Why, I’d much rather have a 9th sec game or another real non conference game. Have one warmup cupcake (which nobody is a cupcake for us right now) then games people want to actually watch.
Way too many crappy games already in the current format with what we are paying for tickets.
I'll tell you what's a crappy game. Watching us get our a** kicked by Alabama or LSU for the 20th time in a row. Give me winnable games all day long.

• Haha
Reactions: AnesthesiaDawg
Aug 22, 2012
I'll tell you what's a crappy game. Watching us get our a** kicked by Alabama or LSU for the 20th time in a row. Give me winnable games all day long.
Winnable against another middle of the road power conference team, yes. Against furman or eastern ky or some swac school? What’s the point. Do those wins actually mean anything or show us anything about our team?

The old 6 win bowl eligibility scheduling is obsolete in my opinion. Of course if we don’t make drastic improvements in our football program and athletic department then all of this is rendered moot anyway.

Reactions: FormerBully

patdog

May 28, 2007
Winnable against another middle of the road power conference team, yes. Against furman or eastern ky or some swac school? What’s the point. Do those wins actually mean anything or show us anything about our team?

The old 6 win bowl eligibility scheduling is obsolete in my opinion. Of course if we don’t make drastic improvements in our football program and athletic department then all of this is rendered moot anyway.
I like wins any way we can get them. Bowl eligibility or not (and it sounds like smaller bowls are going away for SEC / Big 10 teams, which is fine with me since they've become meaningless jokes in a lot of cases). But I do agree I'm OK with having a Big 10 + an ACC/Big 12 scheduling mandate as long as we can keep an 8-game conference schedule. For me, games vs Kansas St., Arizona, Arizona St., Minnesota (upcoming), etc. are my favorite games. Winnable, but competitive.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I think 9 SEC + 1 Big Ten makes the most sense.

P4 isn't what the P5 was when that policy was implemented.

Aug 22, 2012
I like wins any way we can get them. Bowl eligibility or not (and it sounds like smaller bowls are going away for SEC / Big 10 teams, which is fine with me since they've become meaningless jokes in a lot of cases). But I do agree I'm OK with having a Big 10 + an ACC/Big 12 scheduling mandate as long as we can keep an 8-game conference schedule. For me, games vs Kansas St., Arizona, Arizona St., Minnesota (upcoming), etc. are my favorite games. Winnable, but competitive.
Agree. If we go 9 game sec then one additional power conference game and 2 cupcakes im good. If we stay at 8 then im fine with 2 “good” ooc opponents.

Reactions: patdog

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don't like where this is headed.
No idea how long in advance you would have to decide a scheduled game, but something like 9 SEC games plus a Big 10 opponent based on a matchup of teams with similar previous year's conference results plus 2 cupcakes or 1 cupcake and one mid tier P4 opponent would be ideal. Having 3 or 4 games that are absolutely unwatchable due to the uncompetitive nature of them is ridiculous. I mean the reason we watch is for the competition, right? If the outcome is never in question, why not just watch a practice scrimmage? The idea is that your team may win, or your team may lose. That's the drama that makes it compelling. The point for me is that the game be winnable, but also loseable. That is (generally speaking. not this year, of course) not the case with 3 or 4 games a year under the current format.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I'm on the verge of Croom-era withdrawal. I want wins and bowls. Sign me up for the 1960's UM approach where we count the Sisters of the Poor as an SEC game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No idea how long in advance you would have to decide a scheduled game, but something like 9 SEC games plus a Big 10 opponent based on a matchup of teams with similar previous year's conference results plus 2 cupcakes or 1 cupcake and one mid tier P4 opponent would be ideal. Having 3 or 4 games that are absolutely unwatchable due to the uncompetitive nature of them is ridiculous. I mean the reason we watch is for the competition, right? If the outcome is never in question, why not just watch a practice scrimmage? The idea is that your team may win, or your team may lose. That's the drama that makes it compelling. The point for me is that the game be winnable, but also loseable. That is (generally speaking. not this year, of course) not the case with 3 or 4 games a year under the current format.
I strongly suspect our OOC scheduling model will stay the same. We're not going to be playing the Ohio State's or Michigan's of the Big 10. We're going to be playing the Northwestern's, Iowa's, and Minnesota's.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I read it as a possibility of cross scheduling with the conferences. For an example
State future schedule
Texas, Okla, A&M, LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Tenn, Florida, Ole Miss 😳😳😳
Plus
Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State!😳😳😳

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Honestly, nothing I've read from the reports sounds bad. They're openly rejecting private equity, which is great. We already have a mandate to schedule a Power 4 team. Who cares if it's from the Big 12, ACC, or Big Ten? We're already playing Minnesota from the Big Ten in 2026 and 2027. We've got Texas Tech in 2028 and 2029.

The interesting thing is how the SEC will classify Washington State in 2030 and 2031. They were a Power 5 team when we scheduled that game, but by the time 2030 rolls around, they'll firmly be in the Group of 6. If we have to add, say, Rutgers to that season, is that really a big deal?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login