OT: Toyota Tacoma

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
I'm about to trade vehicles and I think I want a Toyota Tacoma.
Looking at the prices for used trucks is breathtaking - I'd sworn I'd never buy another new vehicle, but the Tacomas on Car Max that are 11 years old are priced four or five thousand dollars less than new Tacomas, so the new door may be open again.

Anyone have relevant experience with a Tacoma?

I'm sold mainly by the reliability and durability - I want something to drive 300K miles or more.

Thanks.

Reactions: Big Sheep81

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Looking at the prices for used trucks is breathtaking - I'd sworn I'd never buy another new vehicle, but the Tacomas on Car Max that are 11 years old are priced four or five thousand dollars less than new Tacomas, so the new door may be open again.

I'm sold mainly by the reliability and durability - I want something to drive 300K miles or more.

Thanks.
I had a friend that had a Tacoma get over 300k miles. I’ve never had one but people that have a Toyota truck usually continue to get Toyota trucks.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
My 2012 Rav 4 has 114K and is PAID for. But I bought it used 5 years ago but the price of used vehicles has unortunately gone up even before inflation spiked. I always preferred Hondas but went with Toyota because of price. IMO, you can't gone wrong with a Toyota. I look forward to driving mine another 150K payment free. But you are correct, these days with all the new car financing incentives combined with used car price hikes, it does make one think. I haven't bought a new vehicle in 35 years but I'd be considering other options today if I were in the market.

Reactions: dogmatic001

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
I’m on my fourth yota. Good vehicles.
Advice: when they try to sell you the extended warranties, go for the windshield replacement. It cost me $1200 but I’ve had my latest Toyota there years and on my 7th windshield. It’s paid for itself multiple times! I get a chip, i call and get it replaced! They hate me BTW. They had no idea how bad Mississippi roads where when offering this plan

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My daughter (no pics) was recently in the market to upgrade her 2012 4runner to a 2017 or so. The difference in price was so little that she bought a new one instead. My 2012 Tundra has 200k on it and never a problem. The old lady (no pics) drives a Hybrid Highlander and loves it.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I always found it strange a Japanese company using a Native American word that means "That frozen Water" as a name for a Japanese car.

Side Joke: A young Indian woke up one morning and asked his dad "How parents come up with their children names". He replied, by saying when a child is born, they name them after the first thing they see. For example, when your brother was born, I walked out of the Teepee and saw an Eagle and called him flying eagle. When your other brother was born, I walked out of the Teepee and saw a stream, so I named him running water. Why you ask Two Dogs *******?"

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Terrible experience with 2019 Tacoma third generation < 10,000 miles from car max. Check out the Tacoma forums, quality is not the same and carmax does zero evaluation.
If you buy one definitely do a brand new one.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I drove a 98 Tacoma in HS. It was an awesome truck for a teenager. I bought a RAV4 in 2014 and have put 140,000 miles on it. No problems at all out of either. I wouldn’t mind another Toyota and I would like a truck again because I do quite a bit of handi work. It’s just not in the cards for me right now with the prices. I could afford it but I can’t justify it. The used car prices have started to come down a bit anyways, so I’m just gonna wait it out.

Back to your original question. Toyota’s are great and I don’t have a bad thing to say about them.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

Thanks.

Personally, I wouldn't do it again. Tried to be open minded and bought a foreign vehicle a few years back. Traded in my gm v8 for the Tacoma with the 6 cylinder. Sacrificed a whole lot of power for very little mileage.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
Thank y'all for the opinions and info.
I had an '03 Silverado I drove until well after it was paid off - I wrung 345K miles out of it and would still be twisting but my dad got smoothed out in it turning left off of Lamar onto Winchester in Memphis and that was that. Dad survived, truck - not so much.

I've been knocking around in a different paid-for vehicle for the last few years, but it's come time to make a move. I thought I would wait for the car market to nose dive, but I really can't wait much longer.

I'm a big 'ol boy and was concerned a Tacoma would feel cramped, but I drove a Tacoma and a Tundra today and liked the Tacoma a good bit better. I'll probably go through the new vehicle door.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Can't speak for the Tacoma, but my '15 Camry has never seen the repair shop with over 100k miles, and the '07 Matrix I bought for my son 4 years ago has 228k and runs like a champ.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Thank y'all for the opinions and info.
I had an '03 Silverado I drove until well after it was paid off - I wrung 345K miles out of it and would still be twisting but my dad got smoothed out in it turning left off of Lamar onto Winchester in Memphis and that was that. Dad survived, truck - not so much.

I've been knocking around in a different paid-for vehicle for the last few years, but it's come time to make a move. I thought I would wait for the car market to nose dive, but I really can't wait much longer.

I'm a big 'ol boy and was concerned a Tacoma would feel cramped, but I drove a Tacoma and a Tundra today and liked the Tacoma a good bit better. I'll probably go through the new vehicle door.

Thanks again for the feedback.
I like the tundra but forerunner and Tacoma were cramped for me. Highlander was nice. Wife wanted and suv and I wanted a truck with towing capacity. Ended up going Nissan over Toyota and Hyundai. And got the bigger suv. Nissan was a little cheaper on the big suv

Big Sheep81

Feb 24, 2008

Thanks.
Owned a T-100, 2006 Tacoma, 2011 Tacoma, and now a 2019 Tundra. Great trucks, tough as a undertaker's heart, and I will never own anything else. Best trucks made, hands down, no question. And if you have issues and the dealer won't help, call Toyota directly. They will ALWAYS take care of you!

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I've been driving Toyota trucks since 1986. My '03 had 200k on it when I traded on a slightly used '14. I love them. Change the oil and no problems. My wife's '05 4 runner had 285k when she traded for her '21 pro. We don't drive anything else anymore.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Tacoma’s are solid and a new one is the way to go right now. I typically buy new when they offer good incentives anyway though.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

Thanks.
Use the site joinyaa.com to search for used vehicles. It shows you how long a vehicle has been at a dealership and its price history. When a car has been sitting a good long while there’s more negotiating room.

I’m not in the market for a truck but I had a dealer email me back an offer that was 20% off asking price for a small suv. ..I still didn’t bite.

JML105

Sep 4, 2012
You can pretty much get a Tundra for what a Tacoma cost and the fuel mileage isn't that much worse. Go Tundra and you won't regret it.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I have had several Toyota's over the years, and have loved every one of them! Recently sold my '99 Tacoma with 290K+ miles on it. Only reason I sold it was that we now have a kid and I needed a truck that could carry him as well. I bought a 2020 TRD sport with 20k miles on it and have it about 3 months now....I absolutely love it! It is not the smoothest truck on the road, but if I am being completely honest, I like that fact that it still feels and drives like a truck. No, they dont have a lot of towing power, but I didnt need that. Size wise they are roomy on the inside with the 4-door I have had zero issues with it. To me, they are the best looking mid-size truck on the road, and you can add so much to them to really beef them up (I likely will not be adding to mine but you can). They are extremely tough, and long lasting...I dont think you will regret it one bit if you go with the Tacoma.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Thanks.
Loved my Tacoma. Great trucks. I now have an F150 with the 3.5 that I like better. Here is why:

1) I had the 4 cyl Tacoma. That meant that it was under powered and got average gas mileage. I now have plenty of power and get better mileage than my 4cyl Tacoma did.

2) Comfort. My primary reason for going F150 this time was power/mileage, but I really enjoy the comfort of the F150 as well.

That being said, I still love a Tacoma. They are bulletproof.

Nov 29, 2017
I have a 06 Tacoma. It’s got 208k on it, and it’s only been in the shop twice. I’m driving it till the wheels fall off.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Thanks.

Even before the prices went crazy, buying used was not the no brainer it used to be. Certainly there are deals to be found on used cars, but the steep depreciation in the first two years just wasn't there like it used to be. Had to go out past 5 or 6 years to really get a noticeable decrease in the rate of depreciation. Of course, a 5 or 6 year old car now leaves you with a lot more likely worry free driving than they used to, so I guess you still get close to the same number of with that slow depreciation rate. Our last two cars were used only because I had a connection with the people I bought from. One was giving me a really good deal to not have to mess with selling it and one I was sort of returning a favor to help somebody out. I would have probably bought new otherwise.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
After many years of driving mit to upper range luxury cars on their last legs, I bought a brand new Tacoma in 2014 and it's among the best money I ever spent. I have literally friven it to the end of the earth (Key West), put 144k miles on it. So far I have changed the oil, on my third set of tires, and had to replace the battery. And that's about it.

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You can pretty much get a Tundra for what a Tacoma cost and the fuel mileage isn't that much worse. Go Tundra and you won't regret it.
Concur with this. Not the new model Tundra though (2022?) it was a complete redesign and they haven't been on the road long enough to get an accurate picture of their durability.

The trusty 5.7 and drivetrain in the 2007-2021 is bullet proof and you can raise a family in the back seat of a crew cab. Cons are less "fancy features" and 15 MPG (it'll pass everything on the road but a gas station).

If you get a chance to get a 4x4 at a decent price, do it, even if you think you don't need it. You never know when a situation will pop up that you may need it and you'll make your money back on the resale.

catvet

May 11, 2009
I have a 2015 SR5 4x4. It has 200 k on it and runs like brand new. I had a 4Runner that was 13 years old with 450k miles when totaled. I had about 1000 dollars in repairs during that 13 years. I buy nothing but Toyotas. Some of the other brands may have a few more comfort features, but are no where close to the quality of a Toyota.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

Thanks.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I currently have a ‘16. 123,000 miles on it no issues. I had a ‘96 before this one. It had 371,000 on it when I sold it. Never had N issue with it either. Nothing more than routine maintenance on both.

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012

Thanks.
I’ve had 5. First one was an 85 4x4 extra cab. Drove it when I was at State. Currently in a 2016 4-door 4x4.
I usually put 200-250k before moving to the next one.
they are very reliable. Major repairs on all 5 was 1-fuel pump (85) and 1-rear axle bearing (98). Have replaced a starter and an alternator.
You will always get more than KBB when you sell it too. (paid 21.5 for the 98 with 8 miles- sold it for just under 10k in 2013 with 255k on it. Pretty sure it had an easy 100k left in it).
only downside is fuel economy. (B6337975-327E-4A32-AE74-5D27C6FB8719.jpegAll 5) worst around 15-17mpg best around 22mpg

Reactions: STATEgrad04

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018

Thanks.
I’ve been driving Tacoma’s since 1995. I can’t recommend anything else for durability, reliability, & toughness. Big outdoorsman and I use a truck for a truck. Got short legs and I’d love to have a full sized truck but these short legs & my small billfold won’t let me. Tacoma’s are a bit high new but well worth it.
I’ve had 6 in almost 28 years now and I’ve traded ‘em at 150K or 350K miles on them, they hold their re-sale value well. I always jack knife a trailer into the back passenger quarter panel, tear a tailgate off, or rip a back bumper off, lol. I trade ‘em as is when I get ready for a new one & I always get top $ for trade.
I put a battery & a starter on my ‘95. A battery on my 2003, two hubs on my 2007 but I bought it certified used and the original owner was a female who lived in Southaven, MS & worked on Presidents Island in Memphis, TN. She drove it back & forth to work M-F & let it sit on weekends. Her son put it in 4x4 one time just to see how it drove. Because it never had been locked in 4x4 and the grease never rolled around or used, I believe that is why those hubs went out on that one but under warranty so Toyota took care of the repairs. For my 2010, ‘15, & ‘19 models, I have done nothing to them but change oil, buy tires, add gas w/a bottle of Lucas fuel injection cleaner every oil change and drive. I pretty much live out of my Tacoma’s and you can’t ask for any better service than that.
I can’t see me ever buying another brand truck for my transportation than Toyota, you can’t beat ‘em!
My only complaint is for a truck so small, they should get much better gas mileage than they do. I’ve always had 4x4 xtra cabs or quad cabs. Earlier model xtra cabs w/tailgates down standard 5 speed would get 24 mph. Newer models, quad cab auto trans only get 21 mph tailgate up or down. All my buds w/big trucks get 21 mph most all of them so not much tradeoff on mph between Tacoma or larger full sized various other brand trucks.
It’s a purchase you won’t regret. My brother never bought a new vehicle in his life, he recently got a Camery for a new job. He always minds his money well but for what he had to pay for a used Camery, 2K more he could have it new, so he made his first new purchase recently. Used auto prices are really up and I’ve bought Tacoma’s New & Certified Used. My best deals were always Certified Used but w/used prices up, new may be your better deal now.
Anyway, I can’t recommend anything but Tacoma’s, they sure have been good to me. Always gotten my money’s worth & then some, just from my personal experiences and my two cents worth.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Failed to mention but I never had a Tacoma that didn’t have a recall of some sort but it’s always pretty minor & I just take it in, let them make the repair, go back and pick it up & keep on driving. Never a problem other than the inconvenience of a day of getting it up to the shop and waiting on the repair but all dealerships got tv, popcorn, coffee, a/c or heat so you can’t beat that while you wait. :)

Sep 7, 2007

Thanks.
Tacomas are tiny inside. It's like sitting in a lifted Civic. And they get terrible mpg--about the same as the Tundra.

I've now owned three Tundras. 2005, 2007, and a 2018 I'm still driving. My 18 year old son drives the 07, and I wish I'd kept the 2005.

The whole thing started when I wandered into a Toyota dealership in south Austin, hoping to land a Tacoma. Then I test drove one.

I'm now 50, so maybe this doesn't apply to you, but the sitting position in a Tacoma sucks compared to a Tundra, and you really don't lose much or any maneuverability or fuel economy getting the Tundra.

The Tundra also pulls almost 10k.

Sep 7, 2007
Also--The Tundras I've owned are by far the most reliable vehicles I've ever had. Only had to replace consumables.

Meanwhile, my wife's Expedition sucks.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I’m not a huge fan of the new tundra from the outside. The inside does look good though.

I have a 2017 tundra with 70k miles. I will say it eats through some tires. I’m about to be on my 3rd set. Any reason why they won’t last long?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
There's a fat joke in this somewhere, but I am not going to allow myself to do it!
text thor GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login