OT: Toyota Tacoma

Sep 7, 2007
I’m not a huge fan of the new tundra from the outside. The inside does look good though.

I have a 2017 tundra with 70k miles. I will say it eats through some tires. I’m about to be on my 3rd set. Any reason why they won’t last long?
I experienced the same thing with the stock Michelins, so for the last set, I bought Firestone Destination A/Ts. The tread life is much better so far, but I probably only have 15k miles on them.

Every set of those Michelin LTX A/Ts started showing tread wear on the outside WAAAAY too early.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I experienced the same thing with the stock Michelins, so for the last set, I bought Firestone Destination A/Ts. The tread life is much better so far, but I probably only have 15k miles on them.

Every set of those Michelin LTX A/Ts started showing tread wear on the outside WAAAAY too early.
@Turd Fergusondawg @dawgstudent

What tire pressure are you running? The recommended pressure on the door sticker? I remember looking at Chevy, Ram, Ford, and Toyota full size trucks 5 or so years ago. I always look at the door sticker to see the payload capacity and I remember the Tundra stuck out like a sore thumb for having very low recommended PSI. Especially on the front tires.

If you are running tire pressure too low tires are going to wear very fast on the outside edges. Too high and it will be in the middle.

Here's a Tundra sticker
Tire Pressure.jpg

Now F150 (Silverado and Ram are the same)
img_1577_1__fb35ccfef7a8a2ea9982e60268a88e4998d50928.jpg

My only guess is that Toyota lowers the recommended PSI to improve the ride quality. I have ridden in a lot of Toyota 4runners and Tacoma's and they are awful bumpy.

If you're running tire pressure at 30/33 psi that's your problem most likely. Bump those babies up to 38 front and back and see if it improves.

If you are already running 36+ psi, back to square one.

PooPop out.

Reactions: Turd Fergusondawg
Sep 7, 2007
I’m not a huge fan of the new tundra from the outside. The inside does look good though.
Aren't all the new ones hybrids? Not sure how I feel about that.

Sure, I loved having a hybrid Toyota Venza rental recently on a trip to ATL. It was so quiet, I tried to get out and lock it with the fob in a Publix parking lot while it was still running. 39.2mpg

But for a truck? I don't know--almost something admirable about Toyota's attitude until now, where they didn't even pretend to care. Both of mine probably average 14.5. Worst part about the 07 is the tank is only 20 gallons, so you get a max range of ~300 miles.

Sep 7, 2007
If you're running tire pressure at 30/33 psi that's your problem most likely. Bump those babies up to 38 front and back and see if it improves.

PooPop out.
This is an excellent point. Yeah, that low pressure recommendation also leads to the TPS sensors going off constantly when the temperature drops outside.

I didn't figure this out until a couple of years ago, unfortunately, but since then I've been doing 36 all around.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm about to trade vehicles and I think I want a Toyota Tacoma.
Looking at the prices for used trucks is breathtaking - I'd sworn I'd never buy another new vehicle, but the Tacomas on Car Max that are 11 years old are priced four or five thousand dollars less than new Tacomas, so the new door may be open again.

Anyone have relevant experience with a Tacoma?

I'm sold mainly by the reliability and durability - I want something to drive 300K miles or more.

Thanks.
I bought a brand new Tacoma in 2021 when I sold my Ram. It was a cool little truck. V6 4x4. It had leather and a sunroof which you don't see in a lot of tacos. I put some KO2s on it and it was sharp. A fun little truck.

Here's the problem: I'm used to full size trucks, so I was miserable in it. It was too small and too cramped. And they get surprisingly ****** gas mileage. But they are virtually indestructible and will last forever. There's something to be said for that.

I got rid of it and got a new GMC Sierra earlier this year and I'm glad I did. But to each his own.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Aren't all the new ones hybrids? Not sure how I feel about that.

Sure, I loved having a hybrid Toyota Venza rental recently on a trip to ATL. It was so quiet, I tried to get out and lock it with the fob in a Publix parking lot while it was still running. 39.2mpg

But for a truck? I don't know--almost something admirable about Toyota's attitude until now, where they didn't even pretend to care. Both of mine probably average 14.5. Worst part about the 07 is the tank is only 20 gallons, so you get a max range of ~300 miles.
Not all 2023 Tundras are hybrid but it is an option. The stock engine is a 3.5L twin turbo V6. Not a fan of the switch because the 5.7L V8 is such a good engine. Be interested to see if this new engine will hold up like the V8.

Sep 7, 2007
Not all 2023 Tundras are hybrid but it is an option. The stock engine is a 3.5L twin turbo V6. Not a fan of the switch because the 5.7L V8 is such a good engine. Be interested to see if this new engine will hold up like the V8.
My wife's ****** Expedition EL is a twin turbo V6. It's quick and has good torque, and gets surprisingly good mpg on trips. But I question how well those turbos will hold up over time with such big vehicles. I would expect leaks and such eventually.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
@Turd Fergusondawg @dawgstudent

What tire pressure are you running? The recommended pressure on the door sticker? I remember looking at Chevy, Ram, Ford, and Toyota full size trucks 5 or so years ago. I always look at the door sticker to see the payload capacity and I remember the Tundra stuck out like a sore thumb for having very low recommended PSI. Especially on the front tires.

If you are running tire pressure too low tires are going to wear very fast on the outside edges. Too high and it will be in the middle.

Here's a Tundra sticker
View attachment 252076

Now F150 (Silverado and Ram are the same)
View attachment 252077

My only guess is that Toyota lowers the recommended PSI to improve the ride quality. I have ridden in a lot of Toyota 4runners and Tacoma's and they are awful bumpy.

PooPop out.
As another data point - F-150 recommends 55 psi on their stickers. I'm on my third truck (company vehicle) and they've all had it at 55. Every time I take it to Firestone for oil change/tire rotation they make a comment about how that's way too high. So once when it was time for a new set of tires Firestone put em on and put them all at 35 psi, and I decided to leave it and see what happens. Within a month the front tires had started cupping, and Firestone 17'd up and mentioned to our lease company that they were only inflated to 35 when they filed the claim, so then the lease company made them replace them on their dime.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Terrible experience with 2019 Tacoma third generation < 10,000 miles from car max. Check out the Tacoma forums, quality is not the same and carmax does zero evaluation.
If you buy one definitely do a brand new one.
Definitely do your carfax or whatever research if you ever buy a vehicle from Carmax. My brother's next door neighbor is a Carmax buyer up in Memphis, he has regaled us with numerous stories about cars they've bought from folks that turned out to be riddled with problems. If you can tape and twine it together long enough for a 3 minute visual inspection and a 1 mile test drive (he said they literally pull out of the lot, take it to the gas station down the street to get it up to ~45 mph, then come back) then they'll buy it from you no questions asked. He ventured a guess that one out of every 4 cars on their lots had hidden problems that never get fixed and just get passed onto the next buyer.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
As another data point - F-150 recommends 55 psi on their stickers. I'm on my third truck (company vehicle) and they've all had it at 55. Every time I take it to Firestone for oil change/tire rotation they make a comment about how that's way too high. So once when it was time for a new set of tires Firestone put em on and put them all at 35 psi, and I decided to leave it and see what happens. Within a month the front tires had started cupping, and Firestone 17'd up and mentioned to our lease company that they were only inflated to 35 when they filed the claim, so then the lease company made them replace them on their dime.
Dang. That's an honest mistake by Firestone. Pretty rare to see a 1/2 ton with e rated tires requiring 55 psi I bet. Must be an XL/work truck or have a special payload package. I bet it rides like a tank lol. My F-250 runs 60 front and 65 rear, and is a brick. All of the various Ford and Chevy 1/2 tons I had over the years were 35ish psi.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Dang. That's an honest mistake by Firestone. Pretty rare to see a 1/2 ton with e rated tires requiring 55 psi I bet. Must be an XL/work truck or have a special payload package. I bet it rides like a tank lol. My F-250 runs 60 front and 65 rear, and is a brick. All of the various Ford and Chevy 1/2 tons I had over the years were 35ish psi.
I figured it had to be requested by the lease company or something. It's a 4x4 XLT package, but the tires are pretty standard size (265) A/T's...it's not outfitted with any extra weight or equipment or anything... 🤷‍♂️ and yes, it rides pretty damn stiff at 55 psi. The dashboard light comes on if they're lower than 48, so I try to keep them around 49-50 if I can

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login