OT: Traffic Ticket in the Mail

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Hattiesburg is about to make this move, so prepare appropriately. They'll also get you for a tag light being out.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Tennessee state law supersedes the traffic cams in Selmer. It’s an unenforceable violation because of it. They just do it to prey on people who don’t know which is BS. My dad got one several years ago and lawyer said trash it.
Gotcha. Yeah thats pretty awful to continue issuing tickets that cant be enforced.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I am 100% fine with speed cameras issuing tickets because I view that technology as an extension of enforcing laws. We have a speed camera on an Interstate Beltway that cuts thru the middle of the metro and I genuinely like that it is there because it helps slow down the speed of traffic in a spot where the road curves a couple times and there are 4 exits within 2 miles of each other.
Hell, I have even been hit with tickets from the camera and still think it is a good idea.
It only tickets you if you are going 70(in a 60) or above.

I am 100% fine with redlight cameras and no turn on red cameras. Ive been ticketed by a no turn on red camera and still think its good to have at that specific intersection because the right turn is pretty blind due to a pedestrian bridge. Its a law that exists for driver and pedestrian safety and I dont think a cop has to literally sit there in person for enforcement.

^ Both instances involve he technology being used to help improve safety instead of as a simple money grab. Also, both instances involve reliable technology.

Even though I am OK with cameras enforcing driving laws in instances where there is a legitimate safety concern and compliance results in safer transit overall, I really cant get on board with ticketing people for lack of insurance...especially if it creates false positives. Thats straight 17ed up.
Mississippi leads the country in % uninsured drivers, which is an insane statistic to lead in, but fining people that much money only further burdens them financially.
If they had to pay the fine or the fine is waived if insurance is purchased, that would be something I could get on board with(the article says the fine is only reduced). But they really need to fix the false positive tickets. Thats 17ed up.
That's twice in one week that we've agreed on something. You better get right folks. The end must be near.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I am 100% fine with speed cameras issuing tickets because I view that technology as an extension of enforcing laws. We have a speed camera on an Interstate Beltway that cuts thru the middle of the metro and I genuinely like that it is there because it helps slow down the speed of traffic in a spot where the road curves a couple times and there are 4 exits within 2 miles of each other.
Hell, I have even been hit with tickets from the camera and still think it is a good idea.

I am 100% fine with redlight cameras and no turn on red cameras. Ive been ticketed by a no turn on red camera and still think its good to have at that specific intersection because the right turn is pretty blind due to a pedestrian bridge. Its a law that exists for driver and pedestrian safety and I dont think a cop has to literally sit there in person for enforcement.

^ Both instances involve he technology being used to help improve safety instead of as a simple money grab. Also, both instances involve reliable technology.

Even though I am OK with cameras enforcing driving laws in instances where there is a legitimate safety concern and compliance results in safer transit overall, I really cant get on board with ticketing people for lack of insurance...especially if it creates false positives. Thats straight 17ed up.
Mississippi leads the country in % uninsured drivers, which is an insane statistic to lead in, but fining people that much money only further burdens them financially.
If they had to pay the fine or the fine is waived if insurance is purchased, that would be something I could get on board with(the article says the fine is only reduced). But they really need to fix the false positive tickets. Thats 17ed up.
Agree with the reasoning, but what ends up happening is the locality becomes desperate for that revenue and consistently tightens the window from a green to red light change. Towns have been caught at 1 second windows. Against it for that reason.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Agree with the reasoning, but what ends up happening is the locality becomes desperate for that revenue and consistently tightens the window from a green to red light change. Towns have been caught at 1 second windows. Against it for that reason.

They have been caught altering that time and also it tickets people for making legal right turns on red even after a complete stop.

With no due process… you then cannot challenge a completely legal right on red turn.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It burns me up when they make the timing too short between green to yellow to red. It doesn’t give enough time for tractor trailers to stop safely.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I was hit by one of these slugs w/ no insurance about 8 years ago. State trooper working the accident explained the MS Mandatory Insurance Law to me as it existed then at least.

The uninsured is issued a ticket for not having insurance at the accident and is assigned a court date. Uninsured driver waits until day before court date and goes and acquires minimum coverage from cheapest place they can. Uninsured driver appears in court w/ proof of insurance letter and the ticket is either waived or they are fined $100. Uninsured driver leaves court and cancels insurance next day. So much for that get tough on crime "mandatory insurance", thanks MS Legislature for that token law.............
My wife was sitting at a stop sign when a driver with the minimum insurance coverage (driving a old Mercury worth about 5K) hit her and another car. Did 10K worth of damage to our car and totaled an almost new Volvo. She did 70K worth of damage but her "insurance" only paid 25K . Both we and the owner of the Volvo fortunately had adequate coverage through our on insurance. The point is the 25K minimum in property damage is RIDICULOUSLY low.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yeah that's also seriously 17ed up.
But that falls into the bucket of 'money grab' vs 'safety motivated' for reasoning.

Enforcing vehicle and driving laws for money grab motivations is unjustifiable regardless of it it's using cameras or using in person staff.

Reactions: tyroid

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Update: was able to get the ticket dismissed but they claimed the VIN on file with the insurance company is one or two digits off from the VIN registered to the tag. Presumably a clerical error somewhere.

Still, insane to me that they are issuing tickets just like that.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I've got no problem with red light cameras. Running red lights is a legitimate safety issue. But running every vehicle tag against an insurance database is going TOO FAR. If you're pulled over or ticketed for another violation, then yeah, charge them for lack of insurance.
I don't have a problem with ticketing for red light violations, what I have a problem with is ticketing vehicles and not drivers, and placing the owner of a vehicle in a position to have to prove they were NOT driving, and also I have a problem with not being able to face your accuser in a court of law because a computer decided you violated it and somebody in Arizona rubber stamped it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is a very hot topic right now and it's not just in Pearl. I can tell you that your State Representatives love it for the most part because it's enforcing the compulsory insurance law. Basically Ms Ann Code 63-16-3 allows DPS to access insurance verification records electronically for proof of insurance. It's to ONLY be available to law enforcement. Well, the cities figured out that this means their law enforcement qualifies to have access to it as well. So, DPS contracts with a vendor who handles this data transfer weekly from insurers to DPS. That vendor is NOT the problem. The problem is ANOTHER company who contacted the cities and offered to install cameras to help them capture tags as cars go through intersections. That info is then given to the city and the city (law enforcement) can then compare the tags/vins to the list that DPS has to see which ones were reported as uninsured or insurance lapsed. Everyone gets a cut of the money and it's HUGE. For some small cities it's tens of thousands of dollars a month. It was a huge financial windfall for Saltillo the first month they tried it. Ocean Springs was sued ONLY because the citations were being mailed by the vendor as opposed to a court of law. The other cities and vendors have since corrected that problem and it's grown to other cities across the state. I can tell you that the majority of your republican officials at the state level, love it with the exception of a handful. But make no mistake, Rankin county is ALL IN - not just Pearl, but Rankin country in general.
My question is, are they scanning EVERY SINGLE TAG that drives by these cameras? How did they specifically get you, @MSUDC11-2.0? Seems like an incredible workload unless it's all automated.

Not surprising that the Republicans are loving this. And again, I'm all for law and order. But this is a straight up tax on the poor and the stupid sector of the middle class (the ones who just pay without questioning). Not too dissimilar to gambling, except you choose to gamble. I guess you also choose to not buy insurance, but you also have to drive these days.

I'm conflicted on this one.

Reactions: patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I was hit by one of these slugs w/ no insurance about 8 years ago. State trooper working the accident explained the MS Mandatory Insurance Law to me as it existed then at least.

The uninsured is issued a ticket for not having insurance at the accident and is assigned a court date. Uninsured driver waits until day before court date and goes and acquires minimum coverage from cheapest place they can. Uninsured driver appears in court w/ proof of insurance letter and the ticket is either waived or they are fined $100. Uninsured driver leaves court and cancels insurance next day. So much for that get tough on crime "mandatory insurance", thanks MS Legislature for that token law.............
Not sure how it existed then, but if you cause an accident and are uninsured, think the statute blocks you from getting a license unless and until damages at least up to $25k are paid. Guessing this isn't really enforced, but it's there.

patdog

May 28, 2007
My question is, are they scanning EVERY SINGLE TAG that drives by these cameras? How did they specifically get you, @MSUDC11-2.0? Seems like an incredible workload unless it's all automated.

Not surprising that the Republicans are loving this. And again, I'm all for law and order. But this is a straight up tax on the poor and the stupid sector of the middle class (the ones who just pay without questioning). Not too dissimilar to gambling, except you choose to gamble. I guess you also choose to not buy insurance, but you also have to drive these days.

I'm conflicted on this one.
I’m sure it’s all automated. Florida & other states do the same thing with toll roads. Scan all tags, match up with a database of Express Pass holders, & mail an invoice to the rest.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't have a problem with ticketing for red light violations, what I have a problem with is ticketing vehicles and not drivers, and placing the owner of a vehicle in a position to have to prove they were NOT driving, and also I have a problem with not being able to face your accuser in a court of law because a computer decided you violated it and somebody in Arizona rubber stamped it.
All red herrings. You can confront the video in court if you choose. As for who’s driving, they could provide an affidavit for the owner & driver to sign transferring the ticket.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Man, it is crazy to see how differently some people think. This seems exactly backwards to me. Being on the road and carrying $25k in insurance is already grossly irresponsible. A "lucky" situation in a wreck is going to end up with you putting $10k to $25k loss onto other parties besides your insurance company. An unlucky situation will be you ruining somebody's life and then your insurance handling them a $25k and saying, "oops, my bad; have fun living off of disability and being a burden to your family and society for the rest of your life". It seems much more justifiable to try to force people to at least be minimally responsible on the road than it does to just pop people for routine traffic violations.

I'm not sure the potential (likelihood?) for abuse justifies either, but 72 in a 60 seems like nothing compared to driving without insurance or assets. If the speed cameras were for people going 20 or 25 miles over the speed limit, or going double the speed limit in residential areas, maybe that calculus would be different.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m sure it’s all automated. Florida & other states do the same thing with toll roads. Scan all tags, match up with a database of Express Pass holders, & mail an invoice to the rest.
On one hand, I'm like, well, this gives incentive to uninsured drivers to stay out of your town. And it enforces the law. These are good things.

On the other hand, I'm sure they didn't tell anybody they were starting to do it. And the money-grubbing part is just bothersome. Not to mention some salesman making money off all the gullibles.

But after thinking about it, I can't really come up with any real points against it. Same with seatbelt laws. Those don't go on your record, I recently found out.

Reactions: patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have trouble coming up with an argument of why toll roads should be allowed to bill electronically but you can't check for insurance electronically. The only argument that I can come up with is that the toll roads aren't as extensive and you can avoid them, but that's obviously not a principled argument. At best it's an argument that you should have alternative routes to avoid cameras checking for tags (which I'm sure there are), and clearly mark which roads are subject to electronic surveilance before you get on them (which I'm sure they don't as of now).

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I have trouble coming up with an argument of why toll roads should be allowed to bill electronically but you can't check for insurance electronically. The only argument that I can come up with is that the toll roads aren't as extensive and you can avoid them, but that's obviously not a principled argument. At best it's an argument that you should have alternative routes to avoid cameras checking for tags (which I'm sure there are), and clearly mark which roads are subject to electronic surveilance before you get on them (which I'm sure they don't as of now).
I view it as a convenience to not have to stop and pall the toll. The electronic bill for the toll road is just billing you for the service you used (using the toll road).

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and patdog

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Man, it is crazy to see how differently some people think. This seems exactly backwards to me.
probably not a surprise, but im not following your thinking.
Being on the road and carrying $25k in insurance is already grossly irresponsible.
Is it? For someone driving responsibly on low risk roads, i really dont think so. For someone speeding on highways and running red lights, absolutely.
A "lucky" situation in a wreck is going to end up with you putting $10k to $25k loss onto other parties besides your insurance company.
fender benders are a bit less, but concur.
An unlucky situation will be you ruining somebody's life and then your insurance handling them a $25k and saying, "oops, my bad; have fun living off of disability and being a burden to your family and society for the rest of your life". It seems much more justifiable to try to force people to at least be minimally responsible on the road than it does to just pop people for routine traffic violations.
Well, true "accidents" are not something where you really owe the other party. The responsibility for that lies with themselves, with what risks they took on and what insurance they carried for themselves.

Driving against the rules is not an accident. Speeding leads inevitably to unnecessary accidents, no matter how most people justify it to themselves that they are special and different and thus it shouldn't apply to them. Literally 99% of all drivers believe they are above average drivers.

I'm not sure the potential (likelihood?) for abuse justifies either, but 72 in a 60 seems like nothing compared to driving without insurance or assets. If the speed cameras were for people going 20 or 25 miles over the speed limit, or going double the speed limit in residential areas, maybe that calculus would be different.
All intentional, dangerous driving violations should be treated more seriously. Driving without insurance while not violating any traffic rules is far less a burden on society.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Man, it is crazy to see how differently some people think. This seems exactly backwards to me. Being on the road and carrying $25k in insurance is already grossly irresponsible. A "lucky" situation in a wreck is going to end up with you putting $10k to $25k loss onto other parties besides your insurance company. An unlucky situation will be you ruining somebody's life and then your insurance handling them a $25k and saying, "oops, my bad; have fun living off of disability and being a burden to your family and society for the rest of your life". It seems much more justifiable to try to force people to at least be minimally responsible on the road than it does to just pop people for routine traffic violations.

I probably typed too many words and made it worse rather than clearer.

I agree with you that carrying low of insurance coverage is irresponsible. In general, I support efforts to increase responsibility when driving, and legitimate insurance coverage being one such effort sounds good.
I just dont think a $315 ticket will get many people closer to carrying legitimate amounts of auto insurance when a major reason for not carrying insurance at all or a minimal amount, is the person not being able to afford the cost. Paying a $315 ticket will put many of them that much further away from allocating money to insurance.

As for the speed camera- the specific area I mentioned is high traffic, has many on ramps and off ramps in a short distance, and has a couple of slight curves. Encouraging/expecting safe speeds in that sort of scenario seems reasonable. I drive that section probably 10 times a week and view it as safe and largely free of dangerous drivers as well as accidents. If people could go 25mph over the limit in that section, I am confident there would be a significant increase in crashes due to the number of exchange ramps and road curves.

I fully agree that it is far worse to drive without insurance than it is to drive 72 in a 60. I dont think I said otherwise, and definitely didnt intend to make it seem like I think going 12 over on an interstate is worse than driving without insurance.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
probably not a surprise, but im not following your thinking.

Is it? For someone driving responsibly on low risk roads, i really dont think so. For someone speeding on highways and running red lights, absolutely.

I don't know what you mean by low risk roads. I know of two roads I drive regularly where I constantly see wrecks that I would consider low risk if it weren't for the wrecks I see on it. I still don't know how in the hell so many people get in wrecks there unless it's by texting and driving or otherwise distracted driving. And I don't know how you can really get around without using roads like that, unless you are sticking to basically one neighborhood.

fender benders are a bit less, but concur.

Well, true "accidents" are not something where you really owe the other party. The responsibility for that lies with themselves, with what risks they took on and what insurance they carried for themselves.

Driving against the rules is not an accident. Speeding leads inevitably to unnecessary accidents, no matter how most people justify it to themselves that they are special and different and thus it shouldn't apply to them. Literally 99% of all drivers believe they are above average drivers.

There are very few two car accidents that don't involve people driving against the rules. It happens (blow outs, swerving to avoid wildlife that suddenly appear, etc), but that's by far the minority from what I can tell. And you can't just say "I'm not going to ever drive against the rules". I have never been in an accident, but I'm not foolish enough to think that it's because I've never made any mistakes or broken any traffic rules. I've probably helped my odds by being attentive and generally driving responsibly, but certainly it is still luck that no mistake I have ever made has caused an accident.

All intentional, dangerous driving violations should be treated more seriously. Driving without insurance while not violating any traffic rules is far less a burden on society.

Again, ignoring that you can't just decide "I'm not going to violate any traffic rules", I doubt the type of people going around uninsured are generally the type of people to be safe and diligent drivers. Judging from the wrecks I have had to deal with, certainly it's not rare for uninsured drivers to cause wrecks. Be interesting if there was a HWY Patrolman or other LEO that could weigh in with their experience. Hell from my personal experience, I'm not sure I've ever had to deal with a wreck that was caused by somebody that was adequately insured. Obviously that's not a representative sample, but it seems like damn near every case involves somebody that is uninsured or carries $25k.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I view it as a convenience to not have to stop and pall the toll. The electronic bill for the toll road is just billing you for the service you used (using the toll road).
I was going to say, one of the great inventions of our time. Don't be challenging that. I get pissed when I have to dig around for money (some times hope I have some) and wait in line on other toll roads. As for insurance checks and other "e-surveillance" not sure what to think but that's another on my list of things I've stopped worrying about.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
So one weekend in late January we had to go to Jackson for a family function. Kinda made a day of it and drove around several places. No issues, pretty normal day.

Yesterday I received in the mail a $315 ticket from the City of Pearl police department for driving without auto insurance. This was weird to me on several fronts 1. I was never pulled over or anything while we were down there 2. I wasn’t cited for anything else that a camera might have picked up (running a red light, etc.), and 3. I absolutely have auto insurance. My first thought was this might be a scam but I called Pearl PD and it’s legit.

Pretty sure I can get it cleared up without having to pay or anything. But anyone else had something like this happen? Just annoying.
That's weird...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
This was announced back in December: https://www.wapt.com/article/pearl-mississippi-uninsured-drivers-technology/46031642

The company that is providing the technology was previously employed by Ocean Springs, MS. It was a massive failure and there were so many complaints and lawsuits against Ocean Springs, that they eventually fired the company and ended the program. The mayor of Pearl (who is a total moron) decided it would be a good idea to deploy this same system despite the issues this company had on the coast. I'm sure it wont last too long. There just no way the system can be reasonably accurate.
Maybe he can get Richard's to do trash too***

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
While it was not and is not sold that way, seatbelts requirements, at least for drivers, are actually a safety issue for other people, not just the driver. A relatively minor accident can turn major if the driver is in the passenger seat floorboard rather than trying to control the car/truck.
people in back seats become projectiles and can crush front seat occupants as well. In my car, seatbelts.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Traffic cameras do nothing to improve safety. It's a pure money grab.

I'm sure the way this process works is some salesman gets to a small town mayor and says... "Hey, my traffic camera system costs $100K to install and the yearly subscription fee to our database and mailing software is $20K. We've done a study on this main intersection in your town and you could realize $50K in annual revenue. So it pays for itself after about 3 years and then you're left with $30K/year profit. Wouldn't you like that??"

And boom... traffic cameras go up.
Actually, LPRs integrated with RTCC can do a lot to catch criminals and help solve crime.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I fully agree that it is far worse to drive without insurance than it is to drive 72 in a 60. I dont think I said otherwise, and definitely didnt intend to make it seem like I think going 12 over on an interstate is worse than driving without insurance.
You didn't do either. Me saying "the way people think" was actually not really what I intended. Probably should have used how different values change their takeaways from the same facts.

To the extent we were both thinking of it as "this is at least a somewhat distasteful overreach by government and a step closer towards a surveillance state," it just jumped out at me that you were ok with it for routine traffic enforcement but not for ensuring people were being responsible with carrying insurance for a relatively high risk behavior and I was the opposite.

Reactions: mstateglfr

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Traffic cams for ticketing is some commie BS! I'm all for camera usage for real crimes but this other is BS. It's going to fix a damn problem other than paying bills for a city.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
You're being too kind when you call him a moron. I've avoided Pearl as much as possible since they announced this "ingenius" plan to crackdown on people without insurance.

I worked in insurance for almost 15 years and while I'm for mandating insurance for vehicles on the road, the problem when it was first initiated was that people would purchase insurance, set up on a monthly draft, get their insurance card which showed 6 months or 12 months of coverage then miraculously not make another payment. Their coverage would cancel, which required more paperwork for insurance companies, but they still have the insurance card which showed they have coverage.

I would imagine Pearl will eventually quit the practice, either voluntarily or by a legal ruling.
hence the insurance card readers

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Not surprising that the Republicans are loving this.
On the contrary, I think the single most bipartisan effort I've ever seen in the Mississippi state legislature was the push to outlaw speed and red light cameras in Mississippi. People who otherwise don't agree on anything were holding hands on that deal.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I don't know what you mean by low risk roads. I know of two roads I drive regularly where I constantly see wrecks that I would consider low risk if it weren't for the wrecks I see on it. I still don't know how in the hell so many people get in wrecks there unless it's by texting and driving or otherwise distracted driving. And I don't know how you can really get around without using roads like that, unless you are sticking to basically one neighborhood.

There are very few two car accidents that don't involve people driving against the rules. It happens (blow outs, swerving to avoid wildlife that suddenly appear, etc), but that's by far the minority from what I can tell. And you can't just say "I'm not going to ever drive against the rules". I have never been in an accident, but I'm not foolish enough to think that it's because I've never made any mistakes or broken any traffic rules. I've probably helped my odds by being attentive and generally driving responsibly, but certainly it is still luck that no mistake I have ever made has caused an accident.
Fair, but I'm sort of speaking in the sense of the criminal code. Negligence or reckless behavior isn't an accident. Mistakes are accidents. Speeding is negligent or reckless, running a red light same, etc.

So, if someone is in an accident due to negligence or reckless driving (without the too-high bar usually employed these days) and did not have insurance, the penalty should he higher than if they were driving fine. Probably problematic to implement, I will concede.
Again, ignoring that you can't just decide "I'm not going to violate any traffic rules", I doubt the type of people going around uninsured are generally the type of people to be safe and diligent drivers. Judging from the wrecks I have had to deal with, certainly it's not rare for uninsured drivers to cause wrecks. Be interesting if there was a HWY Patrolman or other LEO that could weigh in with their experience. Hell from my personal experience, I'm not sure I've ever had to deal with a wreck that was caused by somebody that was adequately insured. Obviously that's not a representative sample, but it seems like damn near every case involves somebody that is uninsured or carries $25k.
All the more reason to implement increased penalties for rule-breaking drivers without insurance. Put some fear in em.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You didn't do either. Me saying "the way people think" was actually not really what I intended. Probably should have used how different values change their takeaways from the same facts.

To the extent we were both thinking of it as "this is at least a somewhat distasteful overreach by government and a step closer towards a surveillance state," it just jumped out at me that you were ok with it for routine traffic enforcement but not for ensuring people were being responsible with carrying insurance for a relatively high risk behavior and I was the opposite.
I dream of google-glass type windshields with heads up displays that tag bad drivers and report them to LE immediately, paired with automatic monitoring of roads that essentially eliminates speeding. The latter is very doable today. It's coming.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I dream of google-glass type windshields with heads up displays that tag bad drivers and report them to LE immediately, paired with automatic monitoring of roads that essentially eliminates speeding. The latter is very doable today. It's coming.
If you have that much technology you will have self driving cars. that eliminates speeding and bad driving. your social credit score might limit your travel though.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I’m not paying a damn ticket that gets mailed to me. I may be in court with a suspended license one day but so be it. Im betting most if not all of these are unenforceable and I will take my chances. I’m not doing it. I have insurance. I drive slower than most. Kiss my a$$.

I put them in the file with the few msu parking tickets I have gotten on my return trips since I graduated 25 years ago. Laugh and toss.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
No way a camera can tell who is driving, etc. If you have liability insurance, I take it that you are covered. (have auto insurance)
You could be driving granny's jalopy for some reason, but you would get the ticket? The liability is still covered.

The nuisance of this situation is not reasonable.
One vote....NO.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This was announced back in December: https://www.wapt.com/article/pearl-mississippi-uninsured-drivers-technology/46031642

The company that is providing the technology was previously employed by Ocean Springs, MS. It was a massive failure and there were so many complaints and lawsuits against Ocean Springs, that they eventually fired the company and ended the program. The mayor of Pearl (who is a total moron) decided it would be a good idea to deploy this same system despite the issues this company had on the coast. I'm sure it wont last too long. There just no way the system can be reasonably accurate.
Sounds like pearl to me

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
If you have that much technology you will have self driving cars. that eliminates speeding and bad driving. your social credit score might limit your travel though.
No, you won't. They won't be good enough for that in our lifetimes. Unless you like random sudden stops for things you don't even see because they're not actually there. That's the only way they can "work".

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
No, you won't. They won't be good enough for that in our lifetimes. Unless you like random sudden stops for things you don't even see because they're not actually there. That's the only way they can "work".
They already have self driving trucks

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We are a nation that allows you to smoke cigarettes in the car but demands you wear a seat belt while doing so.
Precisely. Hey, if you’re gonna kill yourself, have at it. But do it slowly, so as many people as possible can continue to profit off your general needs and decisions.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I've got no problem with red light cameras. Running red lights is a legitimate safety issue. But running every vehicle tag against an insurance database is going TOO FAR. If you're pulled over or ticketed for another violation, then yeah, charge them for lack of insurance.

Running red lights is certainly a safety issue….for someone. Is that someone you, even though its your vehicle? Maybe, maybe not. Could be your spouse. Could be your child or a family friend borrowing your car. Could be someone who stole your car. Could be the guy that bought your car from you and didn’t change the tag or re-register the vehicle. That’s why these tickets are totally unenforceable.

That’s not even to get into the fact that after installing these systems, cities have been caught actively reducing the yellow light durations on lights with these cameras and then increasing the red / green overlap time to compensate….because that’s what this really is everywhere. Nobody gives a flying 17 about public safety here. It’s a cash grab, pure and simple. Just like its a cash grab when an actual officer pulls you over because your front tires were still on the white line when the light went from yellow to red. And this is coming from someone who hasn’t gotten a ticket of any kind in 10+ years (knock on wood).

If you ever get a camera traffic ticket in the mail, anywhere, for any reason, at fault or not, don’t ever pay it. Call an attorney or the issuing authority directly if it gives you peace of mind, but don’t pay it. It’s complete nonsense and any municipality nationwide that’s ever had a sufficient challenge to the legality has had to stop using them.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login