OT:Travel agent

Jwsjr

Oct 8, 2013
So I’ve kept a travel agent fairly busy for last 20+ years. I know much of this you can do yourself but time is always an issue with me. I was told today she is retiring. I’m in Madison - not that that matters.

What you got and why?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I can't help, it's been over 20+ years since I've even used one, didn't know they even still existed except for large companies with lots of travelers and even then its usually just a help desk type thing

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Tell me pros/cons of using one. I've considered, but always planned/booked my own travel.
It’s been 1997 since I’ve used one.
Seemed helpful back then but that was before Google, GPS and Apps such as Marriott, Delta, SWest, Yelp and Trip-Advisor.
I’ve considered going back to one but only for about 5 minutes.
If I were going on a trip over to Europe or Asia, maybe so.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
To answer your question, Avanti used to do some corporate travel work for us years ago and seemed to do a good job. No idea of individual names though.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Great point here.

I’m reluctant to list any names simply because based on Jwsjr’s description he’s looking more for business travel help as opposed to tourism.

That said, Jwsjr, have you asked your agent who she would recommend considering that she knows your preferences?

Jwsjr

Oct 8, 2013
Tell me pros/cons of using one. I've considered, but always planned/booked my own travel.

Biggest advantage to me is she knew my taste, my expectations, my budget, and my style. I would give her an area we are thinking about and she always threw in couple of suggestions based on her own experience or current travel specials different places, most of which i never would have thought about. Had some pretty awesome unexpected wonderful trips taking her advice.

Jwsjr

Oct 8, 2013
Great point here.

I’m reluctant to list any names simply because based on Jwsjr’s description he’s looking more for business travel help as opposed to tourism.

That said, Jwsjr, have you asked your agent who she would recommend considering that she knows your preferences?

actually I’m hopefully off to semi-retirement really soon. Have had a ton of memorable business trips ….. but I’m definitely more looking personal time off now.

she had left her employer about 5 years ago and went on her on. She was a one man shop but dam good.

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
SPS Inc. Look no furthur.

These guys have or know someone that has been everywhere imaginable including some pretty obscure places.

biguglyjoe

Mar 3, 2008
American Airlines forgot to schedule pilots for our first leg of a trip to the DR. We had to get off the plane and our flight was delayed two hours which had us missing our connecting flight in Charlotte. We finally get to the help desk and the lady tells us fly to Charlotte and they will help us. 🖕 We are at MSY and my car is right outside. By the time we landed in Charlotte, our agent had us booked on the first flights out the next morning and filed our insurance claim for us. This was early on a Saturday morning and she took care of everything. Worth the money to me.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login