OT: truck sales from Ford and GM

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Nothing like a Ford after about 30,000 farm miles. We call them rattle traps. It’s like everything in the cab starts coming apart.
But hey, you still have that cute little 3.6L engine to haul stuff with, and those thin aluminum bed walls that you can bust up.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I like the look, but their software sucks. Ford sync is the gold standard (I'm not a ford guy either).
I agree on tech. Ford has always been the best with that. But they have to be good at something.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I love my Ford F-150 Platinum Hybrid. I reason I mention Plato is the dang thing listed for 76 grand ——nuts I know the dealer got at cost but still 68k. I’m old and can afforded it I don’t know how most folks afford any truck. But I just read somewhere a high percentage of new car notes are over 1000 per month. I can’t imagine I don’t farm but I do use the bed a good bit. I like that in Memphis I get 25mpg but if I need to scoot I can. Faster than anything except a TRX. Had a GM 6.2 and was not a fan. Now I do think the new GMC is best looking truck.

Reactions: GomJabbar

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022
GM trucks are trash. Not Dodge trash though. Certainly not Nissan hot trash.
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
But I just read somewhere a high percentage of new car notes are over 1000 per month.
Go on Edmunds and look at some of the reviews for the 2021 model year GMC Sierras. Astonishing how many lifter problems they're having at low mileage. If you pay that much for a vehicle it had better be a pain free ownership.

Nothing but problems

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I agree on the new tundra. I’m not a fan of the exterior. The interior is awesome.

I may be in the minority but I like the new Tundra exterior more than the previous generation. It was very dated before the model change. I do not care for the grille, however.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I found the small penis guy.

Just kidding. Kinda. But everything's not going electric. I know they're talking about it, but it's not going to happen. Not in my lifetime, anyway.
Watched an interesting video on EV's. Guy was saying if you buy one for the fuel savings then fine and dandy, but if you are buying it under the assumption that you are saving the planet then you are sadly mistaken as they are far from green. He said, in effect, all you are doing is transferring the pollution from where you live to the country where they are mining all the raw ingredients for the batteries and other components. While our level of pollution may be slightly reduced, it is greatly increased in those countries, but they don't care because they are dirt poor third world hellholes that are more concerned about not starving to death this week than anything else.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012

What's gonna happen when everything goes electric and there's no big Vrooooom!! sound anymore? All the NASCAR wannabe drivers who drive their loud trucks around small town America are gonna be disappointed their trucks will sound like kitty cats.

New Borla 'Exhaust' Can Make Your Ford Mach E Sound Like a GT500​

The app that comes with the kit will also let you choose different engine notes.​

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Watched an interesting video on EV's. Guy was saying if you buy one for the fuel savings then fine and dandy, but if you are buying it under the assumption that you are saving the planet then you are sadly mistaken as they are far from green. He said, in effect, all you are doing is transferring the pollution from where you live to the country where they are mining all the raw ingredients for the batteries and other components. While our level of pollution may be slightly reduced, it is greatly increased in those countries, but they don't care because they are dirt poor third world hellholes that are more concerned about not starving to death this week than anything else.
Well, it's like all this environmental BS. We could be completely carbon-free and it wouldn't matter with the level of pollution going on in china and india. Libbies don't have a problem with opec mining fossil fuels....they just don't want it done here. This is the fraud that environmentalists perpetuate that is never discussed. We could do all that much cleaner here, which would stimulate the economy and create jobs, while making the planet cleaner.

But it's not really about that with those people.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Well, it's like all this environmental BS. We could be completely carbon-free and it wouldn't matter with the level of pollution going on in china and india. Libbies don't have a problem with opec mining fossil fuels....they just don't want it done here. This is the fraud that environmentalists perpetuate that is never discussed. We could do all that much cleaner here, which would stimulate the economy and create jobs, while making the planet cleaner.

The US, Canada, and Western Europe are the absolute worst when it comes to the “not in my backyard” mentality. Can’t do it here but if it comes from somewhere else in the world it’s just fine.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I found the small penis guy.

Just kidding. Kinda. But everything's not going electric. I know they're talking about it, but it's not going to happen. Not in my lifetime, anyway.
They can pass all the laws they want to, but things don't usually happen at the speed we want when it comes to issues that large.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
But I just read somewhere a high percentage of new car notes are over 1000 per month. I can’t imagine
I am constantly blown away by this. I'm not a car person and I get some people are, but I still can't imagine the percentage of income that some people put towards cars. I'd be curious as to how many of the people with $1,000 car notes are saving more than $1,000 a month.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
The US, Canada, and Western Europe are the absolute worst when it comes to the “not in my backyard” mentality. Can’t do it here but if it comes from somewhere else in the world it’s just fine.
Angela Merkel built her legacy on outsourcing fossil fuels. She cozied up to Russia for years and basically skated with little criticism.

No ragrets

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

That's like calling Christianity a fraud because there is still suffering in the world. The point of Christianity is not to end suffering (at least not here and now) and the point of environmentalism isn't to make the environment cleaner. The sacrifice, (preferably some nominal sacrifice on your part, like a miniscule reduction in savings rate, and a much more meaningful sacrifice by people poorer than you, and preferably closer to you in geographic proximity) is the point. They are ritualistically cleaner if they reduce consumption and standard of living of other people. If it results in a net decrease in pollution, that's a nice plus but for the most part not really relevant.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Angela Merkel built her legacy on outsourcing fossil fuels. She cozied up to Russia for years and basically skated with little criticism.

No ragrets
Germanys Energy Secretary (or whatever they call the title) is a former activist with GreenPeace. That’s super logical. She hates nuclear power.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
GMC trucks are the best looking truck on the road imo. Lots of creature comforts and lots of tech. Too damned expensive though with very subpar reliability. Who the hell want to pay 75 thousand dollars on a truck and have lifter problems at 20k miles, electronic gremlins galore at 40k miles, and a transmissions that fails at 60k miles? But dayum, the Sierra is definite eye candy. Such a beautiful truck! Might be better off with a piece of 5hite Ford Ranger though if actually getting to work matters.
They're one of the least up to date tech wise of them all. The interior hasn't been properly updated in a long time.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
From my experience:

Ford-I will easily get 300K miles. Most common issues are electrical, joints, and radiator.
GM- Still have damn gas cap issues, burn oil after about 120K
Dodge- where to start? Oil cooler housing, sensors everywhere, General dependability from motor to body, to front ends in diesels
Toyota- not a damn thing, but a plain *** truck interior and bad gas mileage(had to complain about something)
Nissan- don't have long enough area to type
Honda- you p u s s I e s drive a Ridgeline? LOL

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
From my experience:

Ford-I will easily get 300K miles. Most common issues are electrical, joints, and radiator.
GM- Still have damn gas cap issues, burn oil after about 120K
Dodge- where to start? Oil cooler housing, sensors everywhere, General dependability from motor to body, to front ends in diesels
Toyota- not a damn thing, but a plain *** truck interior and bad gas mileage(had to complain about something)
Nissan- don't have long enough area to type
Honda- you p u s s I e s drive a Ridgeline? LOL
I'm pretty close to replacing the radio in my 2017 Tundra to one that can do apple play.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
a lot of Nissan hate in here. I only know two people who have them, and they both love them. I know the original Titans had brakes that were undersized, but what’s the problem with the current ones?

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
I agree on tech. Ford has always been the best with that. But they have to be good at something.

I'm in my 12th year of Ford F-150s. On my 2nd of 2 crew cab STX models. Never had either one in the shop, never had to do anything other than change the tires, the oil, and the batteries. Over 200k miles combined. I use trucks because I cut and haul a lot of firewood, I fish (need to pull my boat) and hunt, and I spend a lot of time building stuff in my yard (lots of hauling building materials). The 2.7L V6 eco-boost is great for all of that, it scoots if I want it to, and I get 23.5 mpg in a full sized truck, even with all of that hauling. I get the STX because it has a good bit of tech on the interior, but none of the crazy bells and whistles that a truck driver shouldn't really need. I can get it as dirty as I want doing all my work and play, and I'm not sitting there worried about messing up the interior.

The only truck I would consider changing to is a Tundra. They're definitely the gold standard. After watching my brother in law buy a GMC only to have to replace a cracked dashboard and get it repainted after 5 years (because the paint just started peeling off for no reason), I have Chevy/GMC ranked pretty low. And these are not one-off problems. They are both pretty common.

I can't speak to them as strictly a work truck or a farm truck, but personally, I rank them (full sized trucks):
1. Tundra
2. F-150
3. RAM 1500
4. GMC/Chevy 1500
5. Anything else that exists
6. Nissan Titan

Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
They're one of the least up to date tech wise of them all. The interior hasn't been properly updated in a long time.
You should give the new 2023 Sierras a look. They've upgraded the interior and it's really nice.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login