OT: Twitter and SpaceX HQs moving to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
California Will eventually break. So many people leaving. It will fold on itself once their tax base leaves

I just had an Aunt and Unlce and one of their kids and her family that moved from CA to Florida within the last year. I kid my uncle about paying his "exit" tax. It hasn't passed yet but it's being proposed. Not sure how you would enforce it but nonetheless.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I just had an Aunt and Unlce and one of their kids and her family that moved from CA to Florida within the last year. I kid my uncle about paying his "exit" tax. It hasn't passed yet but it's being proposed. Not sure how you would enforce it but nonetheless.
Exit tax only applies if you still have business interests in CA. So they could probably enforce it. But it wouldn’t affect most people leaving.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Damn, he renamed a town Starbase, before he even moved! That's brilliant.**

@Boom Boom not all populations are equal when it comes to funding. The homeless (sorry de-housed) not only don't pay taxes, they're paid to be worthless, drug abusing, drains upon society in most progressive cities, i.e. seats of power, in California.

No. I don't have a research paper or an article from The Post Modern Anthropological Nomad to cite facts.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
There’s quite a few tech companies already there. They make it very enticing to move there.
Yeah - it’s basically California. Elon’s Twitter rant is going on and on about some trans bill and homeless people in San Francisco. I don’t know if you’ve been to Austin lately, but……

It’s like I got fed up with the Mississippi heat and moved to Georgia.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Texas is where California was 30-40 years ago. Texas is the new California and very few recognize it yet.

Reactions: Dawgg

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I wish Mississippi would be the benefactor of a huge tech HQ reloc. Its embarrassing that 2% of the state's GDP is from one hospital.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Moving to Austin won’t get him away from homeless or liberals. State wise it will get him away from liberal policies but not in Austin itself. Homelessness was awful the last time we visited and that was before Covid. I assume it’s worse now like most cities.

Congrats Texas. Enjoy the new taxes.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Yeah - it’s basically California. Elon’s Twitter rant is going on and on about some trans bill and homeless people in San Francisco. I don’t know if you’ve been to Austin lately, but……

been to LA SF seattle austin and houston all within the last year - there is a night/day difference between tx vs shtholes. austin is limited on their shtholeness

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Texas is where California was 30-40 years ago. Texas is the new California and very few recognize it yet.
You’re probably right and I really can’t figure out why. What exactly is the draw to Texas? It does have beaches I guess but they are not good. It’s hot as hell. I understand the energy/oil draw to Texas and people involved in that field. But I don’t understand why tech people flock to Texas.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
@Boom Boom not all populations are equal when it comes to funding. The homeless (sorry de-housed) not only don't pay taxes, they're paid to be worthless, drug abusing, drains upon society in most progressive cities, i.e. seats of power, in California.

No. I don't have a research paper or an article from The Post Modern Anthropological Nomad to cite facts.
Here ya go:
“California lost a net of 407,000 residents to other states between July 2021 and July 2022, including a greater share of those with a college degree and residents at all income levels than in the past.”
“Domestic out-migration slowed in 2022-23, to a net domestic migration loss of 260,400 people.”

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

He’s getting away from the state politics. Your comparison isn’t even close. He may not be getting away from homeless people but he wouldn’t be able to do that in any city. There’s a big difference between the homeless and CA homeless. Plus TX state laws aren’t ridiculous like CA’s.
You do understand that, yes?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
You’re probably right and I really can’t figure out why. What exactly is the draw to Texas? It does have beaches I guess but they are not good. It’s hot as hell. I understand the energy/oil draw to Texas and people involved in that field. But I don’t understand why tech people flock to Texas.
Since the 80's Austin has been home to numerous tech companies, and it's grown since then. Less of the crazy arse business restrictions that California has. And as mentioned, younger professionals like to live there for many reasons.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
The reality is that no matter where you are, the bill always comes due and these cycles repeat themselves all over the place.

Places get popular, the grow, they get mismanaged by greedy people who fail to do upkeep while overspending on other stuff, things go south and the whole process starts over somewhere new.

we will see where Austin is in 50 years

Reactions: ckDOG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login