OT: Twitter and SpaceX HQs moving to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
This is what a lot of people overlook about California: Over 6 million Californians voted for Trump in the 2020 election (11 million for Biden). That a ton of people (double the population of Mississippi). I wonder how many other Trump voters in California didn't bother to go stand in long poll lines due to the knowledge that their votes wouldn't matter due to the electoral college.
A lot. Definitely happens in the other direction the very red states as well.

That's what I don't get about this us/they attitude that has amped more over the years (to the point of people predicting civil war). Yeah, I could generalize rural / urban as being polarized politically and separated geographically - so maybe there's a physical fight to happen there. But that's still way over simplified and generalized. "They" are our neighbors whether you live in a high rise or miles down the road from the nearest farm. The crazies get the airtime but most of us really do want similar things and don't really care to get caught up with the "they are evil/they hate America" nonsense that politicians and media lean on to take advantage of human emotions for votes and money.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This is what a lot of people overlook about California: Over 6 million Californians voted for Trump in the 2020 election (11 million for Biden). That a ton of people (double the population of Mississippi). I wonder how many other Trump voters in California didn't bother to go stand in long poll lines due to the knowledge that their votes wouldn't matter due to the electoral college.
If they didn't vote at all because their presidential vote wouldn't move the needle, they are really shortsighted since downballot races are often just as important/impactful to people's every day lives.

But yeah, the electoral college has relegated tens of millions of votes to worthlessness over the last few elections alone.
We should all strive to ensure every vote for president should count equally. One person's vote shouldn't be more or less impactful than another person's vote.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I read a financial report and also read musks own comments.
You can dismiss the deposition claim if it makes you feel better, even though it's from a deposition, but dismissing the Fidelity report would be bonkers.

Fidelity, an investment firm that is not a biased news organization, and is a company that helped complete his purchase of Twitter, released a valuation of the company in early 24 that said Twitter head lost 72% of its value since musk bought it.

In September 2023, a news story made its rounds that stated musk valued his company at 90% less than what he bought it for, based on a deposition.
you should really use grok and credit a fair AI for all your bu11shit extended posts

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
You’re probably right and I really can’t figure out why. What exactly is the draw to Texas? It does have beaches I guess but they are not good. It’s hot as hell. I understand the energy/oil draw to Texas and people involved in that field. But I don’t understand why tech people flock to Texas.
It kind of started there along with California. Texas Instruments, Hewlett Packard, Dell, others.

Reactions: ronpolk

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
I don't get it either. I go to DFW quite a bit for work and I think it sucks. At the end of the day, I guess it's just jobs/money. But I like the things @PooPopsBaldHead mentioned, and Texas has hardly any of it. Make a lot of money, and go spend it on restaurants and indoor entertainment, that's about all I see to do. I went to a Rangers game a few weeks ago and the AC (in their freakin' new indoor baseball stadium) almost froze me out.

Yeah I mean if you're going to live in hot weather, may as well have beaches and water around. I was in Tampa last week and much prefer it to DFW.
Still a few years away, but I'm considering moving from MS to Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clearwater to retire. Beaches, pro sports teams, airport, city stuff.

If not there, then possibly Brandon or Starkville. Should be an easy choice. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: ronpolk

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
you should really use grok and credit a fair AI for all your bu11shit extended posts
This right here is an example of how probably 70% of our interactions go.

- I made a claim.
- You questioned my claim.
- I provided links to reputable information. One is a financial company that has no interest in misrepresenting the value of Twitter, and even helped musk by Twitter. The other is must own comment from a deposition where he hast to tell the truth.
- You blindly dismissed at all as BS and offered up no counter to show why my comment or sources are incorrect.

The horse was led to water, but is stubbornly choosing to stay thirsty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login