OT: Unbelievably dumb commercial

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I saw this commercial for the first time today.

The tag line is "Opioid Emergencies can happen any time any where" .

UH, NO THEY CAN"T.

It is fine to advertise Narcan and be able to save someone who has a problem but let's at least act as there is some responsibility on that person's part.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Also reasonable to have it for someone who doesn’t have addiction but is taking them and has risk factors for overdose. I think it’s getting at the idea that you don’t always know what other people are doing, though I don’t think everyone needs to go out and buy Narcan for their house

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
Also reasonable to have it for someone who doesn’t have addiction but is taking them and has risk factors for overdose. I think it’s getting at the idea that you don’t always know what other people are doing, though I don’t think everyone needs to go out and buy Narcan for their house
Exactly. I get where you’re coming from, Bruce, but yes they can. My dad is going through pancreatic cancer. People unalive themselves for OD’ing on patches and narcotics prescribed. We are getting one to keep at his house.

And honestly, you don’t know who is taking oxys and other opiods. I promise you, there are lots of people you interact with everyday who are functioning opioid patients. It’s a very declining return as a chronic pain patient. Some people up their dosages to dangerous amounts if they can get a doc to do it. Others start using black market stuff or heroin because of the crackdown. Professionals. Housewives. Athletes. You can’t smell it on them like a drunk. So yeah, it can happen anywhere, anytime.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Heard a podcast about a kid in Charleston WV that require 13 different narcan interventions ( to the date of that episode ) all administered by EMTs. This was before the cost went down. That’s obviously what Bruce is talking about.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
Is this the world we're living in? Are they trying to normalize the fact we should all carry around Narcan just in case? Tell me we have an opioid epidemic without telling me we have an opioid epidemic.

Reactions: Boom Boom

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Exactly. I get where you’re coming from, Bruce, but yes they can. My dad is going through pancreatic cancer. People unalive themselves for OD’ing on patches and narcotics prescribed. We are getting one to keep at his house.

And honestly, you don’t know who is taking oxys and other opiods. I promise you, there are lots of people you interact with everyday who are functioning opioid patients. It’s a very declining return as a chronic pain patient. Some people up their dosages to dangerous amounts if they can get a doc to do it. Others start using black market stuff or heroin because of the crackdown. Professionals. Housewives. Athletes. You can’t smell it on them like a drunk. So yeah, it can happen anywhere, anytime.
Hope for the best with your dad. My mom had pancreatic cancer several years ago. Tough diagnosis.

Reactions: kb549 and woozman

woozman

Nov 13, 2004

I’ll be thinking about your family. My dad got that diagnosis in 2001 and it was tough.

Reactions: kb549

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
Just finished the show Painkillers on Netflix this weekend. Wow, this country is screwed up. The worst part is after it was all said and done, the Sackler family is still worth $11 Billion and never did a day of jail time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login