OT: Vicksburg vs Natchez

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
My wife and I are looking to drive down for just a short (2-3 day) stay in either of these cities. I'd appreciate your input on the pros and cons of each regarding historical attractions, dining, etc... We aren't drinkers, so I'll save you the effort of recommending favorite bars and such, but y'all have never disappointed in the travel advice department. I sure thank you for the input.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I am from Vicksburg so there is that biased. If you had 3 days would spend a time in both cities but believe Vicksburg would have more to offer. Whichever city you choose I would stay at an antebellum home. In Vicksburg I know Cedar Grove and Anchuca are both popular and have great chefs. Vicksburg has numerous restaurants downtown that are good (Rusty's, 10 South, Monsours/Biscuit Company, Milano's Italian Grill just to name a few). You need to visit the Military Park, Cairo, Lower MS River Museum, and the Old Courthouse Museum.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Natchez Spring pilgrimage is March-April timeframe. There'll be a lot more going on during that. I'd recommend hitting balloon fest weekend but that's not till Oct.

I haven't lived in Natchez for 30 years but I don't think much has changed. Sleepy town unless there's an event.

GulfDawg

May 15, 2021
We just did a week long road trip last summer from Memphis to New Orleans with stops in Vicksburg and Natchez along the way. If you prefer museums and military history then Vicksburg is a better option. But if you just want a beautiful town with lots of shops, tour homes, restaurants etc then Natchez would be the better option. Also many more historic homes in Natchez to choose from for your stay. Either option will not disappoint. My wife and I preferred Natchez but my 9 year old loved Vicksburg and already is asking to go back.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Rusty's and 10 South (more for the view) in V'burg. Roux 61 in Natchez. There's not much to either, but more in V'burg.

Reactions: Doghaus

Lakedawg

Sep 20, 2014
Vicksburg must see:
  • National Military Park, especially:
  • USS Cairo
  • Fort Hill
  • Old Courthouse Museum
  • Cedar Grove
  • Taco Casa
  • Warren Central Hall of Fame <ahem>
I can only guess that you’re from Vicksburg. The natives love some Taco Casa (and I’ll never understand it). Any list with a National Park and Taco Casa (especially, with no other restaurants) should be questioned.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I can only guess that you’re from Vicksburg. The natives love some Taco Casa (and I’ll never understand it). Any list with a National Park and Taco Casa (especially, with no other restaurants) should be questioned.
Vicksburg is a town where people are loyal to eating establishments because of who owns them and not the quality of food. I can think of 4 right off the top of my head.

Reactions: trob115

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
My wife and I are looking to drive down for just a short (2-3 day) stay in either of these cities.
I would say stay in one and visit the other. Vicksburg is a good day trip. You can make the trip to either city and then return at the end of the day. Since I'm partial to vicksburg, I'd say stay there and travel down to Natchez. The military park is a must do. It can take as long as you like or be as short as you want. As far as restaurants, we dont have many chain restaurants. Rusty's is good (it's closed on Sunday and Monday). IF you wanna stop by the clinic, I'll give you a tour.

PS I don't get the love for Taco Casa and I'm a Vicksburg native.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Ok, how about the Beechwood?
still good as is Walnut Hills.

For a pure tourist, I'd recommend Walnut Hills, but if one is familiar with southern cooking, I recommend Rusty's. It has a more varied and better menu, plus really good Shrimp Po boy, plus us an easy walk to the little shops up the street. Both will be overrun at lunch.

Reactions: skydawg1

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
My wife and I are looking to drive down for just a short (2-3 day) stay in either of these cities. I'd appreciate your input on the pros and cons of each regarding historical attractions, dining, etc... We aren't drinkers, so I'll save you the effort of recommending favorite bars and such, but y'all have never disappointed in the travel advice department. I sure thank you for the input.
Nobody going to mention that Vicksburg has casinuhs?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Rusty's and 10 South (more for the view) in V'burg. Roux 61 in Natchez. There's not much to either, but more in V'burg.
I'd add The Camp and Magnolia Grill Under the Hill in Natchez. Good food and really cool location. Roux 61 is good too, but terrible location.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Spend a little time at the Natchez City Cemetery. Huge, gigantic cemetery on the bluffs of the Mississippi.

Reactions: EmpireDown

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
This is exactly why I asked y'all. Thank you so much for the advice....sounds like it may be a good idea to stay in one and visit the other.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

macdaddydawg

Sep 29, 2022
Can't go wrong visiting both. A day in the military park and a day in each city. In Natchez, we usually eat at Biscuits and Blues, The Camp and Fat Mama's. We live in Clinton so we go to Vicksburg often, to eat at Rusty's and Beechwood. Occasionally, we go to 10 South for the view, not necessarily the food.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I thought Rusty’s was really good.

still good as is Walnut Hills.

For a pure tourist, I'd recommend Walnut Hills, but if one is familiar with southern cooking, I recommend Rusty's. It has a more varied and better menu, plus really good Shrimp Po boy, plus us an easy walk to the little shops up the street. Both will be overrun at lunch.
Last time I was in Vicksburg we ate at Walnut Hills and it was kinda disappointing. I have eaten there several times in the past and it was fantastic.

SouthMsDawg02

Oct 2, 2023
I'd add The Camp and Magnolia Grill Under the Hill in Natchez. Good food and really cool location. Roux 61 is good too, but terrible location.
Not to mention Fat Mama's tamales, the Natchez Brewery if you like pizza and snoots Juke Joint for music.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022

Last time I was in Vicksburg we ate at Walnut Hills and it was kinda disappointing. I have eaten there several times in the past and it was fantastic.
The head chef at Walnut Hills passed a couple months ago - not saying the quality declined for that reason, but just pointing out that it happened. Everyone in my wife's side of the family goes bonkers for their fried chicken, and to me it's the dryest blandest thing on their menu.

Taco Casa quality definitely has declined since Rowdy passed a couple years ago. If you're from there and visit every so often then it's mostly the same food as it's always been, but their chili con queso sucks now.

Right next door to 10 South and across the street from Milano's is The Cottonwood/Key City Brewery. Great micro-brew and they have a brick oven. I know OP said they're not drinkers, but still a good little place for pizza.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I like Natchez better, smaller, just slower paced but Vicksburg Military Park is a must see too.
I was coming to mention the Military Park... the one building with 'the eye of God' ceiling is pretty amazing.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
For the record I would go with Vicksburg simply because when Farragut’s Yankee gun boats rolled up on it the city resisted unlike Natchez that rolled over and played dead.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I would definitely suggest taking that Highway 61 drive from Vicksburg to Natchez because Port Gibson is and interesting view. At least it was in the past.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Rusty's is my favorite place to eat in V'burg. At lunch there is apt to be a line, so it may be better to visit around 11 or wait until after 1300.

We always go across the river afterwards for a daiquiri (they pour 'em sttttrrrrooooonnngg).

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Ok, how about the Beechwood?

Was there Saturday night. Had The Beachwood Classic - Filet mr w/blackened shrimp and a slice of cheese cake. Was still hungry and no one was ready to leave so I ordered another Classic but went Ribeye mr w/blackened shrimp.

Two fantastic streaks. Shrimp were very good too.

Reactions: skydawg1
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login