OT: Vicksburg vs Natchez

Lakedawg

Sep 20, 2014
Vicksburg is a town where people are loyal to eating establishments because of who owns them and not the quality of food. I can think of 4 right off the top of my head.
That’s fair. But they don’t say that - they’ll tell you Casa is the best Mexican north of the border. It is fun to playfully argue with them.

Funny story - my wife is from Vicksburg and she and her friends would apparently go there everyday after school in HS. Eventually the owner approached my wife and told her she had to stop coming there everyday because it wasn’t healthy. I guess that also speaks to your point about loyalty.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
That’s fair. But they don’t say that - they’ll tell you Casa is the best Mexican north of the border. It is fun to playfully argue with them.

Funny story - my wife is from Vicksburg and she and her friends would apparently go there everyday after school in HS. Eventually the owner approached my wife and told her she had to stop coming there everyday because it wasn’t healthy. I guess that also speaks to your point about loyalty.
That’s the thing about Taco Casa. They must have found the Panera secret ingredient. Women from Vicksburg love it, men from Vicksburg tolerate it because women love it. I know 20 people just like your wife that ate it almost every day after school. It’s Taco Bell on a bun and chili and rotel mixed in a bowl. Honestly the reason why it was such a Vicksburg staple was may be because we didn’t have a Taco Bell for a long time.

Funny story about the health aspects. For as long as I knew my great grandfather from age 80-94. He ate two taco burgers almost everyday, smoke a pipe, and drank at least 2 glasses of scotch.

Lakedawg

Sep 20, 2014
That’s the thing about Taco Casa. They must have found the Panera secret ingredient. Women from Vicksburg love it, men from Vicksburg tolerate it because women love it. I know 20 people just like your wife that ate it almost every day after school. It’s Taco Bell on a bun and chili and rotel mixed in a bowl. Honestly the reason why it was such a Vicksburg staple was may be because we didn’t have a Taco Bell for a long time.

Funny story about the health aspects. For as long as I knew my great grandfather from age 80-94. He ate two taco burgers almost everyday, smoke a pipe, and drank at least 2 glasses of scotch.

That generation was just tougher than all the rest. Sounds like he lived twilight years like a king. Or at least like he wanted to. Good for him.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I go to both regularly and like both cities. I ate at Anchuca last week, I try not to eat bread but those rolls were amazing. A couple of other places that haven't been mentioned are Key City Brewery in Vicksburg, good beer, and a good menu. I love to go to the Malt Shop in Natchez, beware they don't have any seating inside but great burgers and shakes.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
For the record I would go with Vicksburg simply because when Farragut’s Yankee gun boats rolled up on it the city resisted unlike Natchez that rolled over and played dead.
All of our men were either already fighting or Yankees. The women saved the town….in a variety of ways..cough cough

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Whatever you do, make sure you have fried chicken at the Old Country Store in Lorman.
I stopped in there last May and they were not allowing people in unless they were eating, and were still requiring masks, as covid was still apparently rampant right there on that specific property.

Feb 4, 2015
I’m a big civil war buff so both of those towns are rich in history. When traveling to Natchez n hwy 61 definitely turn right to the grand gulf military park before you get to Port Gibson. It is very neat and has a good bit to see.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009

No one from Vicksburg actually thinks Taco Casa is great Mexican food. It's 100% a cult thing. Every time I'm back in town I make it a point to stop, not because I think it's great food, but more along the lines of a sarcastic nostalgia thing.

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
Mammy's Cupboard for the pie

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016

Vicksburg had a Taco Bell before they had a Taco Casa.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login