OT: Visit to the Gulf

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
There are two new roller coasters. Try them out and let us know what you think.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
17 the beach. Especially the Gulf all the way up the Atlantic coast. My father was in the Navy and I feel like I have seen every stretch of beach from S Padre all the way to Tampa on the Gulf and from Miami to Maine in the Atlantic.

I remember sand, usually coarse and brown (except for the panhandle), in every crevice of my body. The sand gets so hot it will burn your feet like hot asphalt. The salt from the Atlantic will stick to you and dry like Elmer's glue.

There's seaweed and jellyfish washing up all the time. If you're lucky, they come in at the same time and turn the water (which is often diarrhea brown from mobile to Mexico) into a swamp full of acid burns.

Fishing? For what? Everything I ever caught in the surf was a mother17ing alien. You catch shìt that looks like a boot with fins.

And the people. There are so 17ing many of them. For every hot chick there are five saggy old red leather bags with tìts that are measured in meters walking by with their old man who looks like a slight variation of George "The Animal" Steele.

No thanks.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
17 the beach. Especially the Gulf all the way up the Atlantic coast. My father was in the Navy and I feel like I have seen every stretch of beach from S Padre all the way to Tampa on the Gulf and from Miami to Maine in the Atlantic.

I remember sand, usually coarse and brown (except for the panhandle), in every crevice of my body. The sand gets so hot it will burn your feet like hot asphalt. The salt from the Atlantic will stick to you and dry like Elmer's glue.

There's seaweed and jellyfish washing up all the time. If you're lucky, they come in at the same time and turn the water (which is often diarrhea brown from mobile to Mexico) into a swamp full of acid burns.

Fishing? For what? Everything I ever caught in the surf was a mother17ing alien. You catch shìt that looks like a boot with fins.

And the people. There are so 17ing many of them. For every hot chick there are five saggy old red leather bags with tìts that are measured in meters walking by with their old man who looks like a slight variation of George "The Animal" Steele.

No thanks.
1723729108877.gif

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023

No thanks.
Yeah this but..
At least it ain’t 40 below in the 17ing sunshine, and no nagging snow chains to take on and off,
You don’t have to own a snow blower,
You dont have to warm your car up in the morning, you ain’t got to wear 40 17ing layers of clothes, and women, at least when a good one does walk by (which is more frequently than you think) you can actually tell there females without all the layers of animal pelts on them.
Other than this, I would rather live where you do vs the nasty beach 👍

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I’m one that could hang out on the beach all day. I love it. My retirement plan will definitely include a beach house (well just near the beach).

Joe Patti’s is great. Pensacola is great in my opinion. We have kind of settled in Destin because there is a little more kid friendly things there but before kids my wife and I went to Pensacola often. Definitely an overlooked spot. Seems everyone I know does Destin or orange beach.
Love Joe Patti's as well. One word of caution. A friend of mine is a chef and familiar with seafood. He caught them a few years ago claiming some fish he was buying as local and he knew for certain it was not. I know nothing about the topic but it really set him off with them.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Well, we at least have some background on where PooPops terrible judgment and taste comes from. Now if we could just figure out which naughty place Buckeys touched him.

No thanks.
It's actually much worse than that now. For every hot chick there are ten fat chicks, plus you still have the old women on top of that.

17 whichever scumbag marketers and farm lobbyists came up with the USDA food pyramid and came up with the BS that demonized fat instead of carbs. I hope they all rot in hell.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Yes, for me it's always with kids. I'm sure I wouldn't have sand all over if I wasn't taking them, because we're constantly playing sports, attempting to body surf, digging holes, or doing some sort of asscrack-filling activity... also if I didn't have them with me I definitely wouldn't have much sand on me because I'd be at the pool bar anyway.
You should be used to asscrack filling.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yeah this but..
At least it ain’t 40 below in the 17ing sunshine, and no nagging snow chains to take on and off,
You don’t have to own a snow blower,
You dont have to warm your car up in the morning, you ain’t got to wear 40 17ing layers of clothes, and women, at least when a good one does walk by (which is more frequently than you think) you can actually tell there females without all the layers of animal pelts on them.
Other than this, I would rather live where you do vs the nasty beach 👍
- It's 20° in the sunshine sir. -40 at night.
- Snow chains are for flatlanders
- 2 layers are plenty
- Snow bunnies hit different.

As for beaches... Whitest sand you ever saw. And it melts away from your butt crack as soon as you fart.

1000014594.png
1000014595.png

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

No thanks.
October. No June grass, flat with a N wind, the sand is not hot and no crowds.

Attachments

• IMG_4977.jpeg
    IMG_4977.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 8

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
You should be used to asscrack filling.
That 70S Show Burn GIF by PeacockTV

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I could live in that cold *** ID, MT, WY area pretty easily & be happy. Hell, planning a vacation there next year. Used to hate the beach but learned to enjoy it. If you've got a boat and crazy friends to get you in trouble, it's a game changer. More old saggies with fake lips to coot rejuvies on 30A than you can shake a limp one at, I avoid that area.

Reactions: dorndawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
October. No June grass, flat with a N wind, the sand is not hot and no crowds.
Tell me about April.. Late April and early May suck here as the snow melts off and leaves everything a muddy mess.

1000014604.png
But you will not get my October. Favorite month of the year in the mountains. Highs in the 60's and low 70's, lows in the 30's. Might even get a dusting of light snow at elevation later in the month.. Still good light through Halloween too.

1000014601.png
The golf courses are still open, but empty.

1000014602.png
The trout are biting everything you throw.

1000014603.png
Elk rut wraps up in the beginning of the month and mule deer season opens right after.

1000014609.png
And my drive home everyday unbeatable... the summer crowds are gone and the lake is other worldly blue.

I have been to the beach in October and it's nice... But fall in the Northern Rockies is something everyone should get to experience at least once.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I understand now
Seeing that chair makes me think you wanted to be a beach bum
Who blackballed you
You got me. Just need to give up my addiction for daily access to skiing, snowmobiling, mountain biking, fly fishing, elk hunting, backpacking, whitewater rafting, and tuber farming.**

FYI. I won that chair from a lottery at the liquor store. Biggest POS ever. It was made if something weaker than balsa wood and lasted all of 3 months. Did have a sweet cooler built in though...

1000014612.png

Reactions: skipperDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I could live in that cold *** ID, MT, WY area pretty easily & be happy. Hell, planning a vacation there next year. Used to hate the beach but learned to enjoy it. If you've got a boat and crazy friends to get you in trouble, it's a game changer. More old saggies with fake lips to coot rejuvies on 30A than you can shake a limp one at, I avoid that area.
Coot Rejuvies would be such a good name for a band

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Tell me about April.. Late April and early May suck here as the snow melts off and leaves everything a muddy mess.

View attachment 627928
But you will not get my October. Favorite month of the year in the mountains. Highs in the 60's and low 70's, lows in the 30's. Might even get a dusting of light snow at elevation later in the month.. Still good light through Halloween too.

View attachment 627927
The golf courses are still open, but empty.

View attachment 627929
The trout are biting everything you throw.

View attachment 627931
Elk rut wraps up in the beginning of the month and mule deer season opens right after.

View attachment 627953
And my drive home everyday unbeatable... the summer crowds are gone and the lake is other worldly blue.

I have been to the beach in October and it's nice... But fall in the Northern Rockies is something everyone should get to experience at least once.
Late April is okay. The water is still too cold for me normally. Nobody is on Spring Break. June grass hasn’t shown up yet but winds are starting to shift from the S so you don’t get 75% flat days. It rains a good bit so the golf courses may be soggy, but both courses in S Santa Rosa County are built on top of sand so they dry up quickly. Redfish are running and the Cobia and Pompano are out, but it’s still a little cool for some of the pelagics to start coming in closer.

BigBully

Feb 27, 2008
I love the beach. I hate sand.

Do beach lovers just love that gritty feeling on all your stuff, in your clothes, eyes, hair, asscrack, or are you out there tolerating it better than me because you love the sun and the breeze so much? I've always wondered that.
I live at the beach full-time. You get used to the sand. Its just a part of life. People either love it, hate it, or put up with it for a week to appease their kids. We don't go to the beach that much in the summertime -- too many people. Instead, we go out on the boat to the islands (Sand, Robinson, Bird, etc) on the ICW. We typically go more to the beach in Sept - Dec when there are less people and still great weather.

As someone mentioned, Weather Tech car mats are a must, or have a designated beach rig that holds your chairs, etc., where getting sand in there doesn't matter. I vacuum my beach rig out in Jan and its ready for a new year.

BB

BigBully

Feb 27, 2008
Did you get the beignets? They are so good.

We lived here for 8 years before going to the NAS museum and regretted not doing it sooner. We had no idea it was so nice.

As far as the beach I have to do something. I cannot sit there for 6 hours reading a book. Kayaking, fishing, snorkeling, playing sports in the water, or at the beach bar, I have to do something.
The last few times I went to JP's, the beignet trailer was not there.

• Angry
Reactions: mcdawg22

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I’m one that could hang out on the beach all day. I love it. My retirement plan will definitely include a beach house (well just near the beach).

Joe Patti’s is great. Pensacola is great in my opinion. We have kind of settled in Destin because there is a little more kid friendly things there but before kids my wife and I went to Pensacola often. Definitely an overlooked spot. Seems everyone I know does Destin or orange beach.
I like Pensacola because it's a real city, not just the beach. I like it so much I am moving there as soon as this house sells.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015

No thanks.
I see now why you enthusiastically embrace Idaho.

I’m conflicted at your vitriol toward the area because of it’s natural beauty

I love the Emerald Coast, but only in October-December.

Your take on demographics and size-a-graphics has fair points.

In rebuttal, we took a trip out west a couple years ago.

My summary of that trip is overall positive, with this caveat: gorgeous; God’s country; the most beautiful topography and sights I’ve seen in my life, inhabited by the godddamnedest “affliction” crowd of ugly, liberal, rude, “progressive” and elitist assssholes on earth.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
My summary of that trip is overall positive, with this caveat: gorgeous; God’s country; the most beautiful topography and sights I’ve seen in my life, inhabited by the godddamnedest “affliction” crowd of ugly, liberal, rude, “progressive” and elitist assssholes on earth.
This doesn't apply to Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana (except for Bozeman). The redneckery in these states will make Alabama blush.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
How bad was the noise at night from the air station?
I don’t remember any at night. Heck I get more now from Hurlburt. Honestly I the noise was awesome. Flyovers were only during the day and we loved them, my dog did not.
It was very interesting though. The houses close to Bayou Grande are nice. We lived closer to Gulf Beach on Brown Rd. 4 neighbors were Navy Vets and were great, 1 neighbor was clearly into illegal activity and the other was an old crazy lady. Even so we’d walk to and around Bayou Grande all of the time. It was a nice pedestrian area.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login