OT: western movies

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Any good new western movies been made lately that's worth watching? See a bunch on prime. Not sure if worth renting or not.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
If you like Science Fiction and Westerns you could give Outer Range a try on Prime.

kramer_192

Sep 15, 2012
A recent movie I saw is old Henry. I believe it came out last year or so. I enjoyed it but I am a movie critic either.

Reactions: ntzdog

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
A recent movie I saw is old Henry. I believe it came out last year or so. I enjoyed it but I am a movie critic either.
I like Tm Blake Nelson and have been meaning to watch Old Henry. If you want to see a completely different Nelson character, watch The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It's a Coen Brothers anthology of old west tales.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Name checks out
The name actually comes from my love for the Jeremiah Johnson movie. Love the Rocky Mountains. “That will be far enough Pilgrim”. “Your a fine target Pilgrim. Empty your hand”. Jeremiah Johnson is buried just outside of Cody, WY. And I have visited his grave site. As time goes on, I wish that I had moved West after I graduated from State over 45 years ago and never looked back.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
It would be difficult for any to equate with The Searchers, Red River, Shane, High Noon, and other old classics.
I put Unforgiven up there with the best westerns ever made. It's a great movie as well and not just a great western. Tombstone is pretty entertaining as well. Not a traditional western but a neo-western set in Texas and has men in cowboy hats is No Country for Old Men. It's brilliant and has the maybe scariest outlaw ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The good ole days in America when when had more freedom of speech and artists were able to push boundaries and remain in the mainstream.
The "modern" movie cryptic would destroy any of the westerns listed above if they were released in modern times. Too many toxic males. It makes me sad because I grew up on westerns with James Stewart, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Gary Cooper, etc. and they did not warp my sense of right and wrong for my fellow man because I know they were just movies

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Wasn't Brokeback Mountain a modern Western? Seems more like a "modern" western today than it did when it came out 10-15 years ago.

I know it'll be asked so, no I did not see it.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Wasn't Brokeback Mountain a modern Western? Seems more like a "modern" western today than it did when it came out 10-15 years ago.

I know it'll be asked so, no I did not see it.
Maybe I should've said within the last five years or since Trump won his election.

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
Once Upon I Time Out West, best ever. Second is Blazzin Saddles. Not modern, but the best, and at my age I've seen them all.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Jeremiah Johnson, Lonesome Dove, Dances with Wolves. Those 3 are, in my opinion, the best ever. Actually, Lonesome Dove was a 4 part mini series, but it’s still a movie as far as I am concerned.
Lonesome Dove, Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven. Unforgiven is based on a real outlaw: William Munny. We just rewatched it two nights ago. Excellent cast.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Lonesome Dove, Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven. Unforgiven is based on a real outlaw: William Munny. We just rewatched it two nights ago. Excellent cast.
sad clint eastwood GIF

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Tombstone will come on and my wife will leave the room because I can quote the movie from beginning to end.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login