OT: western movies

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
So many great westerns mentioned here. We watch a lot of western movies and western tv shows. We enjoy all of them so much more than most of the current offerings on pretty much any of the networks. Still watch a lot of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, the Big Valley, the Rifleman, Wagontrain, Rawhide, etc. it’s been so long since I first saw these shows that I don’t remember most episodes so they are just like new ones.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
As time goes on, I wish that I had moved West after I graduated from State over 45 years ago and never looked back.

If I had seen Colorado and Wyoming when I was 20, Mississippi might never have seen me again. Alas, I was married and raising kids by the time I got a good look around the Rockies.

I'd seen Texas, but Texas ain't Wyoming.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
True Grit with Jeff Bridges is excellent.

It's so much truer to the Charles Portis novel. Mattie Ross, of course, is the one who's meant to embody True Grit, so it doesn't try to make a hero of an irresponsible drunk. And Matt Damon isn't a cardboard character like Glen Campbell.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
If I had seen Colorado and Wyoming when I was 20, Mississippi might never have seen me again. Alas, I was married and raising kids by the time I got a good look around the Rockies.

I'd seen Texas, but Texas ain't Wyoming.
Exactly. By the time I made my first trip to Wyoming I was married, had a job, a house payment, a car payment, etc. I was busy with life. if I had seen that Country while I was still single, life would have taken a different turn. My room mate at State went to Wyoming after College and worked as a wrangler for an outfitter for a few years. I thought he was being foolish and wasting his career. Once I finally went out there, I was the one who felt foolish. I try to go out there at least once a year and sometimes twice a year. Even after all these years I can only say that I am humbled and in awe every time I go there. Very powerful country. It will touch your soul.

Last edited:

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
So many great westerns mentioned here. We watch a lot of western movies and western tv shows. We enjoy all of them so much more than most of the current offerings on pretty much any of the networks. Still watch a lot of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, the Big Valley, the Rifleman, Wagontrain, Rawhide, etc. it’s been so long since I first saw these shows that I don’t remember most episodes so they are just like new ones.
I forgot the Virginian. Great western. Sara Lane as Elizabeth Grainger was just as cute as a speckled puppy.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Gunsmoke on Pluto stays on at our house. Greatest Western TV series of all time. 20 years. Star Trek copied it and was just a western in space.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
Don’t know if I have seen McClintock mentioned. Not a typical John Wayne movie, but one of my favorites. The Shootist, Rio Bravo, and Rio Lobo are all John Wayne favorites. The Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven are favorites for Clint Eastwood. Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner was a good one I don’t think anyone mentioned. Lonesome Dove is hard to beat. True Grit with Jeff Bridges. Tombstone.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Don’t know if I have seen McClintock mentioned. Not a typical John Wayne movie, but one of my favorites. The Shootist, Rio Bravo, and Rio Lobo are all John Wayne favorites. The Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven are favorites for Clint Eastwood. Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner was a good one I don’t think anyone mentioned. Lonesome Dove is hard to beat. True Grit with Jeff Bridges. Tombstone.
Open Range is my favorite Costner western

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

I can’t see how on earth they haven’t gotten Clint Eastwood’s kid in a western yet while ole Clint could still play a cameo.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Jeremiah Johnson, Lonesome Dove, Dances with Wolves. Those 3 are, in my opinion, the best ever. Actually, Lonesome Dove was a 4 part mini series, but it’s still a movie as far as I am concerned.
You sir, are correct.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
For the question you actually asked. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is kinda goofy but a pretty good watch. Deadwood the movie is a good watch. Deadwood the series is good also if you hadn't seen it. Bone Tomahawk is a calssic type of western. If you didn't see the Magnificent Seven with Denzel, that is great.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Dead Man Walking and Streets of Laredo are good books and sequels. Dead Man Walking is really tough.
There is a fourth book in the series, I think it was Apache Moon. Lonesome Dove was actually the third book in the series and the mini series was pretty true to the book. All four were made into mini series or at least multi part movies. Dances With Wolves is another movie that is true to the book. It was book one of the three book series but the author died before completing the third book and it was never completed and published.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login