OT (whatever this means) paver patio question

Cresswell Dawg

Jul 4, 2019
Planning on upgrading the yard with a paver patio and need some advised. I have an existing drainage system coming from the gutters that became exposed when I dug up the flower bed. How deep should the pvc pipe (exposed portion) be under the pavers to prevent it from cracking? Is that measured from the top or bottom of the pvc pipe?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Planning on upgrading the yard with a paver patio and need some advised. I have an existing drainage system coming from the gutters that became exposed when I dug up the flower bed. How deep should the pvc pipe (exposed portion) be under the pavers to prevent it from cracking? Is that measured from the top or bottom of the pvc pipe?
If it’s just foot traffic, I’d say it could be right under it. 6” would be conservative. If I’m understanding correctly.

Cresswell Dawg

Jul 4, 2019
Backyard so mostly ppl walking and chairs. So is that 6 inches from the top of the drainage pipe or bottom?

yelchevelle

Apr 30, 2014
Long time listener, first time caller. When I saw the topic, I had to put the dale’s down, and turn the gas off my green egg so I didn’t burn any mole crickets. 70-80% of my income comes from paver installation. Pedestrian pavers need minimum 4” of base material (example 3/4” crusher run) plus 1” of uncompacted coarse sand (concrete sand). Ideally your top of drainage would be under the base. I would not lose too much sleep if it ends up at the bottom of the sand layer in a pedestrian application. I say that because you probably won’t get good enough compaction to prevent settlement anyway unless you normally do asphalt work. You don’t have access to the correct compaction equipment, but if rent a standard plate wacker packer or the equivalent, settlement should be kept to a minimum.

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
Long time listener, first time caller. When I saw the topic, I had to put the dale’s down, and turn the gas off my green egg so I didn’t burn any mole crickets. 70-80% of my income comes from paver installation. Pedestrian pavers need minimum 4” of base material (example 3/4” crusher run) plus 1” of uncompacted coarse sand (concrete sand). Ideally your top of drainage would be under the base. I would not lose too much sleep if it ends up at the bottom of the sand layer in a pedestrian application. I say that because you probably won’t get good enough compaction to prevent settlement anyway unless you normally do asphalt work. You don’t have access to the correct compaction equipment, but if rent a standard plate wacker packer or the equivalent, settlement should be kept to a minimum.

Solid first post. Bonus points for wacker packer.

Cresswell Dawg

Jul 4, 2019
What are your opinions on the paver panels? Seemed too good to be true, but that’s what they said about Chris Relf’s passing game as well. Thanks man I might have to send you a case of dales and mole crickets for the advise.

yelchevelle

Apr 30, 2014
Professionally I would never use those panels. For a home owner, they may be acceptable to use. They seem like a gimmick to me. We build our base like a miniature highway. The panels are kinda like snow shoes. They just spread the load. They also are a uniform thickness, so in theory, they should be easier to install, but I have never known any one that uses them nor have I been approached by any trade sales people about using them. Last I checked they are not approved by icpi.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

Wacker packer...that a technical term or what you do when you read IMPP's posts?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

I'll need a small brokerage fee here:

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?236307-Acme-Brick-pavers-for-sale&highlight=pavers

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login