Ot: wing flats.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Eat em long ways and try to get all the meat from one end to the other

Or go in sideways and get 5 bites from the side?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I grab the end and split the two bones, I’m able to get all the meat then.

Not sure why, but I’ve always preferred the flats

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I grab the end and split the two bones, I’m able to get all the meat t

Not sure why, but I’ve always preferred the flats
Man I’ve tried to figure it out but I just wind up with skins.

dogmatic

Aug 22, 2012
Hold the flat by the larger cut end using your thumb and first three fingers. Press opposite end down perpendicularly against plate, allowing your fingers just enough slack to let the stripped bones slide between your finger tips. This presses the meat loose from one end. Dip as desired. Eat the resulting wing-pop in one bite. Perfect results.

And yes, I greatly prefer the flats to the drummets.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I prefer flats and the wife prefers drummies. I'm keeping her no matter what, why take the risk.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Option C- order some breaded breast meat chunks that have been coated in buffalo sauce and actually get something that is fully edible and doesn't make you work hard.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Option C- order some breaded breast meat chunks that have been coated in buffalo sauce and actually get something that is fully edible and doesn't make you work hard.

Glfr I knew you’d f this up.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
The yuppie who voted for Biden likes chicken nuggets over wings. I’m floored.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The yuppie who voted for Biden likes chicken nuggets over wings. I’m floored.

Yeah, wings is an absurd amount for work for a few tiny slivers of meat. That there is such a large market willing to pay so much for so little is no surprise.

When I buy a Buffalo Chicken sandwich, I have yet to see it come as wing meat in a bun because it would take an hour for some guy to pick the tiny strings of meat out of 3 dozen wings just to get the amount of a chicken breast.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

Chicken wings? Work? You need to be introduced to the blue crab.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I have never actually believed you were a troll until this very moment

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
Yeah, wings is an absurd amount for work for a few tiny slivers of meat. That there is such a large market willing to pay so much for so little is no surprise.

When I buy a Buffalo Chicken sandwich, I have yet to see it come as wing meat in a bun because it would take an hour for some guy to pick the tiny strings of meat out of 3 dozen wings just to get the amount of a chicken breast.

If eating chicken wings is an absurd amount of work you are doing it wrong.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

Wings (and dark meat in general) taste infinitely better than white meat. Plus its boned meat which tastes better too. It’s not that hard to eat chicken wings unless you’re trying to eat them with a fork which is probably what you do.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

You are just asking to get banned. You need to watch this video as your penance.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAV8bdsnDDc

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008

It’s really amazing how polarizing you are on every single issue. Almost like you are trying to be

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010

I just logged on for the first time in probably over a year to call you a *****

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

You get that Supersized or in a Happy Meal with Chocolate milk?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Yeah, wings is an absurd amount for work for a few tiny slivers of meat.

I used to feel this way as well, when I was a chubby adolescent. When I became a man (I hope that term isn't too controversial), learned the joys of beer, and stopped looking at food like a glutton, I found them quite enjoyable and plenty substantial.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Wings (and dark meat in general) taste infinitely better than white meat. Plus its boned meat which tastes better too. It’s not that hard to eat chicken wings unless you’re trying to eat them with a fork which is probably what you do.

Agreed, smoked bone in thighs are great since dark meat plus bone = a ton of flavor.

When you get 15g of meat from a wing flat(thats .5 of an ounce), the couple of little strands of meat simply arent featured in Buffalo Wings. The sauce and dip overwhelms any meat flavor so its not like those little strands of dark meat are somehow necessary. If you dont sauce your wings, then the meat would be featured more for sure.

Funny that this caused so much uproar. These things were largely ignored and unwanted for decades due to the lack of meat and used to flavor stock, but actually became the most expensive cut about a decade ago based on the steady growth in the 00's. Meat that was so worthless it was tossed into stock pots rather than cut out first became the most expensive per pound.
Its kind of funny. Its actually really funny since I like the drums/drumettes. Its just flats that I dont really care for.

When I said it is too much work, I didnt mean it is too difficult to hold a wing flat and find the couple of meat strands- that is easy. Too much work is the process of making them for what you get in the end as well as how many need to be eaten in order to get a dinner portion's worth of meat.
At the same time, I prep a pork butt for 30min, charcoal smoke it for 10 hours, and tear it apart for 30min when I could just crockpot it and spend no effort. I understand doing more than what others would care to do in order to have something you like made the way you like.

Likes drums but doesnt like flats?- burn the witch!

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
When I said it is too much work, I didnt mean it is too difficult to hold a wing flat and find the couple of meat strands- that is easy. Too much work is the process of making them for what you get in the end as well as how many need to be eaten in order to get a dinner portion's worth of meat.

Is it easier to make your breaded and fried saucy nuggets than it is to make hot wings?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

You're on your own on this one.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

This is certainly one of the more interesting hills to die on that I’ve seen in awhile….and that includes folks who wanted Lemonis shitcanned less than 12 months after the natty.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Hold the flat by the larger cut end using your thumb and first three fingers. Press opposite end down perpendicularly against plate, allowing your fingers just enough slack to let the stripped bones slide between your finger tips. This presses the meat loose from one end. Dip as desired. Eat the resulting wing-pop in one bite. Perfect results.

And yes, I greatly prefer the flats to the drummets.

This is the way.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I’ll usually bite the flat side and get as much meat as I can, then push the remainder through the gap between the bones with one finger to get the rest. Can usually do in 2-3 bites unless its a really small wing…..which I avoid ordering entirely if I know ahead of time.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm here waiting for Drebin's SixPackSpeak Magazine Extra Edition with the Chicken Wings Cover Story...

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Agreed, smoked bone in thighs are great since dark meat plus bone = a ton of flavor.

When you get 15g of meat from a wing flat(thats .5 of an ounce), the couple of little strands of meat simply arent featured in Buffalo Wings. The sauce and dip overwhelms any meat flavor so its not like those little strands of dark meat are somehow necessary. If you dont sauce your wings, then the meat would be featured more for sure.

Funny that this caused so much uproar. These things were largely ignored and unwanted for decades due to the lack of meat and used to flavor stock, but actually became the most expensive cut about a decade ago based on the steady growth in the 00's. Meat that was so worthless it was tossed into stock pots rather than cut out first became the most expensive per pound.
Its kind of funny. Its actually really funny since I like the drums/drumettes. Its just flats that I dont really care for.

At the same time, I prep a pork butt for 30min, charcoal smoke it for 10 hours, and tear it apart for 30min when I could just crockpot it and spend no effort. I understand doing more than what others would care to do in order to have something you like made the way you like.

Likes drums but doesnt like flats?- burn the witch!

You obviously don't know the story about pork ribs.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

Chop sticks.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login