OT: Youth Travel Baseball

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
I strongly endorse the independent travel ball team - that is excellent advice.

One thing I haven't seen discussed is hitting -- kids have to learn and practice hitting outside of team practice time, just about guaranteed, if they're going to be effective. Getting a hitting lesson or two can be like golf lessons - a hour or two with a good teacher here and there can make a world of difference. See who the better hitters are and find out what they do. Most likely, they get a lesson or two at an indoor practice facility somewhere.

My son is 17 and has been playing since park and rec tee ball. Currently he's on his high school team, an American Legion team and the July term of high school Cotton States in New Albany. That sounds like a lot more baseball than it is, but it's not much. The HS team has weight room year round, and both the summer Legion and Cotton States seasons are brief. He has a summer job and plenty of free time, which he dedicates to burning up gas and bass fishing. He does each of these very well.

This question has been one of our family's great struggles, but he's heading into his senior year of HS and hasn't burned out from too much or been cut for too little, so I guess we've done OK. I would say go ahead and get his feet wet enough that he'll be in your local baseball circuit/system. An independent team is the way to go, but do your homework on how many tournaments, how much practice, etc.

Reactions: Shane of Pisgah

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
If anyone in central MS wants their kid to give club lacrosse a try (5th grade through varsity), shoot me a message. Practice Sunday evenings at Madison Central in the fall with season prep in January (Sun, Mon and Wed nights) followed by Feb thru Apr season. $300 registration fee plus equipment rental. Most games in Jackson, Hattiesburg, Oxford. Some in Red Stick/North Shore area.

If your kid has burned out on soccer/baseball, give this a try.
We played in tournament that had a MS lax team and I was shocked (crooked lettah I think). We also played a team out of Memphis too. I talked to coach and he said most of the boys were from collierville. Glad to see it’s spreading west of Bham.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
These threads are always a hoot
Many “travel ball” families I’ve been around, the parents talk about it non-stop like it’s the World Series and multi-million dollar contracts are at stake

Meanwhile their kids are listening quietly on their switch or doing anything else but ball in search of a childhood.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Many “travel ball” families I’ve been around, the parents talk about it non-stop like it’s the World Series and multi-million dollar contracts are at stake

Meanwhile their kids are listening quietly on their switch or doing anything else but ball in search of a childhood.
Most have no idea what high-end ball looks like and it's easy to see when they open their mouths. But they act like little Jimmy is a stud amongst the best in the country, when in reality he's not even the best in Claiborne Co.
It's all about what you want/afford and what your kid can handle. But most parents are blind to their kids talent level and they all start acting like they know everything about hitting/pitching. Their current team is the greatest ever until little Jimmy doesn't start or the coach gets on his ***.
I really like the dads that get on social media sharing hitting instruction videos from everybody they come across, like they even have a damn clue. Then you get the videos of the two hits little Jimmy had over the 5 game weekend, with the "keep grinding" hashtag.

Last edited:
Reactions: OG Goat Holder
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login