OT - Zero Turn Mowers

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I’m in the market for a Zero Turn… I only mow about 3 Acres. What’s the best Zero Turn for the $?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I don't know about zero, but this bad boy has a minimal turn radius.
I had a coworker who wanted to save the earth by reducing his fossil fuel footprint. He bought one of these mowers, used it once, then decided he hated the environment as much as me and got a gas powered mower. I don’t think ol’ man bun had ever faced such an ethical dilemma. Burn some gas or use that much physical energy. I’m willing to bet the next summer he ended up outsourcing the job to someone from another country so he could remain carbon neutral.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Until recently, I had the same amount of acreage to mow. I got a Huster Raptor X 54", it's the next level up from the bottom rung residential mowers. Paid a little over 4K in 2018, who knows what it is now. It's been very good. Only problems I've had were a few sensors that I had to tighten, and I threw the belt one time when I was trying to chew up some limbs and pine cones :ROFLMAO:. So that was my fault.

I still have it, and now use it on about a 3/4 acre lot. I would recommend. Found this online: https://www.frederickssales.com/new...uipment-raptor-xd-54-kawasaki-fr691-29039369b

Another link showed around 4.5K, so it hasn't went up too much.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’m in the market for a Zero Turn… I only mow about 3 Acres. What’s the best Zero Turn for the $?
I've love my Kubota 726X, 60". It is/was at the time, the lowest "commercial" model that you can get, which to me was important because it got me the full suspension seat. I don't care how fast they CAN go, if you can't stay in the seat or if you are crushing disks in your back while mowing, you won't mow that fast. I got it on 60mo 0% interest and never regretted it. https://www.kubotausa.com/products/mowers/zero-turn-mowers/z726xkw-3-60

ETA: Kawasaki engine because I had a John Deere with the Kawasaki that lasted forever. I'm sure Kohler is fine, just have no experience with it.

Last edited:

cfree3434

Jan 14, 2021
My dad mows about 10-15 yards on the side and has always ran Exmarks. I went through this about 3 years ago when we bought our house and I only have about an acre to mow. Researched and shopped for a little while and ended up going with what I was familiar with: Exmark. They were priced similar to the scags which was option 2 for me. I wanted a quality mower. I am a coach and mow frequently for that. We have had bad boys and gravely mowers before. Gravely is really well made (or used to be), bad boy is cheaper, but we've run into more issues with it.

Reactions: dgsmith15

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Drive several. Amazing how different each mower drives and handles. Some feel overly twitchy. I ended up with an Exmark. It’s good. Cut several acres of some family land with my uncles John Deere 920. I liked it very much.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Bobcat with the Kawasaki engine and FX deck. Curious as to if anyone here has one and can give a review.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
50 toro timecutter is what I have for cutting 3 acres and it’s fine. I’m not a mechanic by any means but I’ve been able to do most maintenance myself. I have the Kawasaki motor and I’ve been told that’s the one you want over the kholer

eta- Zero turn mowers are the tits. Previous house was a half acre to cut & I dreaded it in summer with the self propelled. 6x’d the yard size and I don’t mind doing it at all now. Actually enjoy it

macpappy

Aug 8, 2010
I have 3 acres with a fenced in backyard(this is the only reason I got a 48" deck...really wish I had a 60" deck to make it even faster. I went with the 48" Exmark Radius with Kawasaki engine. It is now 4 years old and zero issues..just change oil and sharpen blades. It's about time for a spindle to go out but I keep it in a storage shed and blow off grass from deck after every cutting so moisture is kept to a minimum to keep it from rusting. I love it!
My dad has the Hustler and it has been just as good.
My main recommendation is to go with a brand that has a dealer nearby that services them incase you need a mechanic or parts.
Now if you want an eternal beast get the Kubota with Diesel engine. My father in law has ran his for over 10 years cutting 10 acres and it is the best machine I ever touched.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
I had to get a zero turn about 3.5 years ago and did my homework....there are a lot of good ones.....I got an XMark 60 in with a Kawasaki engine and I absolutely love it and have had zero issues....there are a lot of authorized dealers around, so maintenance isn't an issue if you need it. Really great mowers.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've got a Hustler 60" and my 3 acre yard can be cut in about the time it takes a beer to get good and cold in the fridge.
My yard is a 3 beer yard, hence, 2 cupholders were added to supplement the one that came with the mower. I put a Koozie on them, load them up and take off and escape the phone, the BS on tv, and other honey do's. Its the most relaxing time that I get in a week.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The love for Kawasaki engines is warranted, pun intended. They are solid and will outlast the mower. Put good synthetic oil in them and they just keep pumping the cylinders

Last edited:

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Bought my wife a Gravely ZT HD a couple of years ago. We cut 7 acres and she hasn't broken anything yet. As others have mentioned, go Kawasaki on the engine.

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
It depends on your budget. The best bang for your buck is Kubota when you consider product, warranty, financing etc. Kubota , Exmark, Hustler, Ferris, Grasshopper and a few others make great mowers. I have had almost every rep want me to take on their mowers, but, when you consider the whole package Kubota is the best.
Now, I will have a guy come in and say my neighbor mows for a living and told me to get an Exmark, I would like to buy that Quest for $3,999. His neighbor is mowing with a Lazer that is $14,999. Each brand makes several models depending on what you are mowing and your budget.
If you are hunting a big box store mower, I can't help you. Mine pick up where they leave off.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
Do you have any dealers in your area? Not Lowes, HD, etc.... Scag, Gavely, Bad Boy, Exmark, JD. They're all good. If you have a reputable dealer in your area then start there. At some point you'll need them. I have Scags and have no complaints.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

I mow about the same amount of yard. I had an ExMark but traded it for a Country Clipper and I love it. The CC is the only mower on the market with a joystick. You can literally drive with one hand and drink beer with the other. Just as well built as the ExMark too but the joy stick is great.

Country Clipper

Last edited:

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
I mow about 4 acres. Bought an Exmark Lazer about 10 years ago and have been pleased. Replaced the battery a couple of years ago, but no other issues.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Scag and Exmark are the best but you pay for what you get. Neither are cheap. If you going to spend real money on a lawnmower, buy from a mom and pop dealer that you are reasonably sure will be there for you 7-10 years down the road.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Hustler is the fastest, most efficient. Scag makes battle tanks. Those 2 brands are the top of the food chain.
My neighbor across the road mows about 10 acres and has two Scags. He and his wife get on them and they look like bass boats on grass the way they're throwing rooster tails of clippings.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This guy knows mowers.

Animated GIF

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Like someone said above, whoever has a dealership in your area. My personal preference is kubota.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
When I had a large property to mow in Mississippi, our yard was a task until I bought a John Deere riding mower/tractor, a 24 HP Hydrostatic. It quit being a chore after that.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I don’t have much experience with different brands, so I don’t have a lot to compare, but I did finally get a Hustler last year and I love it. It’s a 54” Raptor XL with the beefed up deck, wheels, and chair, and I’ve been happy.

The only advice I can think of after a year of use is that local dealers are usually worth their weight in gold, be wary of zero turns for areas that have a lot of slope, test drive to get a feel for comfort, and also be careful about going too big. These things maneuver as advertised, but they’re also massive compared to old school riding mowers, and there are a handful of spots in my yard that I’ve gotta be real careful around. Not to mention fitting through gates, into the garage, etc

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I got an ExMark 46" Radius at the end of the season last year. It has the ExMark engine in it but it's fast and seems to be really heavy duty. The higher model with the Kawasaki engine was out of my price range but this one will probably do fine as long as I keep up with the maintenance.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Buy the one you can get serviced locally. I have an Exmark Radius X 60" and someone could offer me what I paid for it four years ago and I wouldn't sell it. Love that thing. 2 grease points on it. That's it. Change the oil every year and get the hydros serviced at 100 hours and it will last you 20 years or more.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I'm in agreement with most here. If money is no issue, Scag or Exmark. If money is an issue go with Bad Boy.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I bought a Gravely ZT HD (52") in 2013 and it has been rock solid. My yard is ~ 3 acres. I couldn't get a larger deck due to having to getting through a gate to mow around my pool. I have the Kawasaki motor and service it myself (very easy). Make sure you get a welded deck and not a stamped deck. I have mowed my yard, a neighbors yard, food plots at the camp etc and it just plows through everything.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Husqvarna 48" is almost unbeatable. Paid $3500 brand new and free shipping. Have dang near tried to tear the thing up and it won't stop.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login