Other men's and women's sports

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Gymnastics post got me thinking. Why don't we have other women's sports like gymnastics. Could also include mens and women's swimming in that also. Is it purely just money that keeps it from happening. Feel like it would look good title 9 wise to add more women's sports

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
At the end of the day we are compliant with Title IX and it doesn’t make a ton of fiscal sense to have certain sports just to have to them. Especially when we are decades behind other SEC schools in things like gymnastics, swimming, equestrian, etc.

Reactions: patdog

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
At the end of the day we are compliant with Title IX and it doesn’t make a ton of fiscal sense to have certain sports just to have to them. Especially when we are decades behind other SEC schools in things like gymnastics, swimming, equestrian, etc.
Guess I'll just have to be a fan of lsu gymnastics then.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Gymnastics post got me thinking. Why don't we have other women's sports like gymnastics. Could also include mens and women's swimming in that also. Is it purely just money that keeps it from happening. Feel like it would look good title 9 wise to add more women's sports
It’s money, full stop. We pretty much have the minimum number of programs to keep us in the SEC, the NCAA Division I, and Title IX compliance.

Using Alabama as a basis from the site below, they lose about:
$1.5 million on men’s swimming & diving
$900,000 on women’s swimming & diving
$1.3 million on women’s gymnastics

So, just those 3 alone are $3.7 million losses annually (same site showed Auburn losing $5.4 million). Assumedly that wouldn’t include startup costs like building/renting a regulation size natatorium.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We (myself included) don't attend the Big 3 sports regularly unless everything is going well. Whatever money was spent on those small programs would be like throwing $$$ out the window

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
They would serve Mississippi athletes who would love to stay in state. If we are talking about program budget losses we might as well get rid of basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball etc.
To remain in NCAA Division 1, we have to sponsor 7 male sports and 7 female sports or 6 male sports and 8 female sports.

We do the latter. Like I said, we do the bare minimum to maintain our status.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
To remain in NCAA Division 1, we have to sponsor 7 male sports and 7 female sports or 6 male sports and 8 female sports.

We do the latter. Like I said, we do the bare minimum to maintain our status.
I understand completely. I was a soccer player. After juco I would have had to go private or out of state to play. MS has produced some great swimmers, unfortunately it’s Delta State or out of state for them. It absolutely sucks for our states youth in athletics when the the two largest institutions refuse to accept them.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
It’s money, full stop. We pretty much have the minimum number of programs to keep us in the SEC, the NCAA Division I, and Title IX compliance.

Using Alabama as a basis from the site below, they lose about:
$1.5 million on men’s swimming & diving
$900,000 on women’s swimming & diving
$1.3 million on women’s gymnastics

So, just those 3 alone are $3.7 million losses annually (same site showed Auburn losing $5.4 million). Assumedly that wouldn’t include startup costs like building/renting a regulation size natatorium.

I wonder why men’s swimming and diving loses $600,000 more than women’s swimming and diving?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Ain't they joined at the hip these days? Wasn't thinkin' there's any difference in the two considering all the progressive agenda been implemented lately,

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Ain't they joined at the hip these days? Wasn't thinkin' there's any difference in the two considering all the progressive agenda been implemented lately,
You know not everything is part of the culture war, right?

I wonder why men’s swimming and diving loses $600,000 more than women’s swimming and diving?

According to the site I linked, expenditures were about the same, but the women brought in more revenue. I don’t know the revenue source for either.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
You know not everything is part of the culture war, right?

According to the site I linked, expenditures were about the same, but the women brought in more revenue. I don’t know the revenue source for either.
Probably Title IX allocations from the school. Would not think that ticket sales could achieve that much money. Non-profit institution accounting can be confusing.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
We're fine with Title IX. We're a relatively poor athletic department (by SEC standards). Much better to focus what resources we do have on as few sports as possible.
I've always thought we should add a men's sport that has the best scholarship to expense ratio and fill the roster with baseball players.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
I have no idea for sure, but my 1st assumption is that there are fewer men's swimming & diving teams in the southeast than there are women's, so the men incur additional travel expenses for matches???

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I have no idea for sure, but my 1st assumption is that there are fewer men's swimming & diving teams in the southeast than there are women's, so the men incur additional travel expenses for matches???
Maybe, but I think they travel together wherever they go. Probably what another poster said and it’s just an accounting thing.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Apropos of this thread, the Sun Belt Conference is adding Beach Volleyball this year & that means Southern Miss has the best Beach Volleyball team in the State...

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Apropos of this thread, the Sun Belt Conference is adding Beach Volleyball this year & that means Southern Miss has the best Beach Volleyball team in the State...

Central Arkansas was an early adopter, which I think is kind of funny.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I've always thought we should add a men's sport that has the best scholarship to expense ratio and fill the roster with baseball players.
It’s hockey. 18 men’s scholarships for I think a roster of 20. You could even make a women’s hockey team (18 scholarships) or rowing team (20 scholarships) full of softball players to balance it out.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login