Our basketball program has stagnated

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We know what we have with Howland. We will beat the bad teams, beat some average teams at home and lose to any good team (at home) or mediocre at best team on the road. Deep down, everyone knew we would lose tonight. Howland has never won a big road game. So are we ok with this? Or should we strive for more? At least we had some tremendous highs with Stansbury. We don’t have any great highs with Howland. I mean, we had a poster claiming a two-point home win over a now unranked Alabama team was our best win in 14 years. That tells you all you need to know. Fresh blood and energy is needed. Howland should be thanked for bringing us out of the Rick Ray hell, given a nice retirement package and shown the door at the end of the season.

Blitz83

Feb 6, 2019
He has been retired for the last few years. No energy! And just what do his assistants do during the game other than sit.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
George Brooks and Howland’s pathetic offense turned his All ACC son into a non-factor

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
The bastards clamoring for Stansbury’s demise should be publicly flogged. What a bunch of dumb pricks they are.

You can’t convince me that we wouldn’t be better off right now if we would have kept Stans as opposed to firing him when we did.

I know this has been rehashed many times over, but the decision to cut Bailey instead of Sidney was the demise of this program.

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The bastards clamoring for Stansbury’s demise should be publicly flogged. What a bunch of dumb pricks they are.

You can’t convince me that we wouldn’t be better off right now if we would have kept Stans as opposed to firing him when we did.

I know this has been rehashed many times over, but the decision to cut Bailey instead of Sidney was the demise of this program.

Strange post. You start off saying that we fired Stans too soon….then say the demise of the program was cutting Bailey instead of Sidney? Who do you think made that call?

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Strange post. You start off saying that we fired Stans too soon….then say the demise of the program was cutting Bailey instead of Sidney? Who do you think made that call?

By everything I have ever heard from those in a position to know the right person was cut over that incident. There were posts made to that effect at the time.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It was no incident. This occurred during Festivus. They were merely airing grievances. **

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
By everything I have ever heard from those in a position to know the right person was cut over that incident. There were posts made to that effect at the time.

OK. Why are you telling me? All I was saying is that Stans made that call either way.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
My sense is Howland's role is -- and always was -- a bridge from the Rick Ray era to the next coach who could take us up to the next level. This was essentially what Bob Boyd's role was between Hatfield and Williams back in the early 80's

The only question is how many years, which is likely between 3 and 5.

Blitz83

Feb 6, 2019
There has been no excitement with Holland because he brings mostly excuses and inconsistency. He wasted the talent of Perry and Woodard by his lack of coaching.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We’re in what, year 7? This has been one hell of a long bridge.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Bro you just admitted that Stans had plenty of blame. He did his part to get himself fired.

The problem was, we did it in the wrong year. Should have done it after 2011, or waited until 2013 at earliest.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
There has been no excitement with Holland because he brings mostly excuses and inconsistency. He wasted the talent of Perry and Woodard by his lack of coaching.

He was 43-22 when Perry and Woodard were on the roster. They made the NCAAT thr first season and covid shut down their second season before the SECT could take place.

Not sure how that is wasting talent, especially when half the games are when they were freshmen.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We weren’t making the NCAA Tournament in 2020 unless we won the SEC Tournament. Which wasn’t happening. I feel like we are buried in mediocrity that we can’t get out of. We’re like a Premier League team that constantly finishes in 12th place. Never in danger of relegation, but never challenging for any trophies. Just kind of meh. And fans don’t like meh. It’s boring. As I said before, Howland is a boring man who coaches a boring style of basketball and the fans haven’t taken to it.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
He was 43-22 when Perry and Woodard were on the roster. They made the NCAAT thr first season and covid shut down their second season before the SECT could take place.

Not sure how that is wasting talent, especially when half the games are when they were freshmen.

Barring winning the tournament, we weren’t making the Dance. People love to give him credit for that season but we were clearly on the wrong side of the bubble.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
We weren’t making the NCAA Tournament in 2020 unless we won the SEC Tournament. Which wasn’t happening. I feel like we are buried in mediocrity that we can’t get out of. We’re like a Premier League team that constantly finishes in 12th place. Never in danger of relegation, but never challenging for any trophies. Just kind of meh. And fans don’t like meh. It’s boring. As I said before, Howland is a boring man who coaches a boring style of basketball and the fans haven’t taken to it.

Barring winning the tournament, we weren’t making the Dance. People love to give him credit for that season but we were clearly on the wrong side of the bubble.

Yes, I remember we were on the wrong side of the bubble that season. I didnt claim we were going to make the NCAAT that season.
We could have gotten another win or possibly two in the conference tournament and then played a couple more in the NIT.

An NCAAT and NIT plus winning 2/3 of games in 2 seasons isnt wasting talent. That was my point.

Dog316

Aug 21, 2012
George Brooks and Howland’s pathetic offense turned his All ACC son into a non-factor

This is absolutely ridiculous. Every sports board has people who fly off the rails with a loss. Basketball is a game of ups and downs when you play teams with similar talent. Firing the coach is the answer to every disappointing loss.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Yes, I remember we were on the wrong side of the bubble that season. I didnt claim we were going to make the NCAAT that season.
We could have gotten another win or possibly two in the conference tournament and then played a couple more in the NIT.

An NCAAT and NIT plus winning 2/3 of games in 2 seasons isnt wasting talent. That was my point.

A team with Woodard and Perry on it had no business being anywhere close to the NIT. We were on the wrong side of the bubble in spite of having the SEC Player of the Year and being a Top 4 seed in the SEC Tourney. That’s a large failure.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
My sense is Howland's role is -- and always was -- a bridge from the Rick Ray era to the next coach who could take us up to the next level. This was essentially what Bob Boyd's role was between Hatfield and Williams back in the early 80's

The only question is how many years, which is likely between 3 and 5.

We hired Williams basically because he was about the only person we could afford to hire at the time. About the only two differences between him and Ray were he was already on the staff....and he won when given the chance.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Stans last couple of years he spent more time with Meo and the Kids and less time coaching. Also kinda reading between the lines, mistakes were made crootin.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think it's time. We have been slightly above average but there is absolutely no excitement to be had at this point. The Alabama broadcast had a time where the announcers were comparing Howland's old school coaching style to what Alabama was doing. We won that one so it's not a great example of why to move on, but it was interesting to me that the commentators took the time to notice and discuss how old school Howland is. Makes Saban's ability to adapt and continue to excel all the more impressive when you see how difficult it is to remain relevant in any high level coaching job.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I remember when he was hired there were many on this board that were just down right giddy because Adidas had done us such a favor by convincing him to come here. Yeah, Thanks Adidas....

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
It is time. I'm not going to frame the UM game this weekend as 'make or break'. I'm not going to play wait and see with the rest of the season. I think we have seen enough. It's time to move on. Now who do we hire?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
This is absolutely ridiculous. Every sports board has people who fly off the rails with a loss. Basketball is a game of ups and downs when you play teams with similar talent. Firing the coach is the answer to every disappointing loss.

Firing the coach *IS* the answer to several dozen disappointing loses.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I remember when he was hired there were many on this board that were just down right giddy because Adidas had done us such a favor by convincing him to come here. Yeah, Thanks Adidas....

Considering the shape we were in, Howland was a good get at the time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login