Our Fans Are Hilarious

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
2021 - All you have to do is rush three and drop 8 and Rogers and Leach will fold like a cheap suit.

2022 - All you have to do is bring pressure and Rogers and Leach will fold like a cheat suit.

Which 17ing one is it? Or maybe it was just a really ****** night for both the players and coaches on Saturday and LSU. Maybe this team has preformed poorly on the road. It's just hilarious to me that for two years everyone on this board and on social media beggggged for teams to send pressure because Rogers and the air raid would eat them up like LSU in 2020. Fast forward two years and those same people are saying the best way to beat Rogers and the air raid is to send pressure. I'm not making any excuses for that abortion Saturday night, just pointing out that most of you will parrot the anti-Leach and anti-Rogers narrative, regardless if it goes against your previous uneducated opinion.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022
2021 - All you have to do is rush three and drop 8 and Rogers and Leach will fold like a cheap suit.

2022 - All you have to do is bring pressure and Rogers and Leach will fold like a cheat suit.

Which 17ing one is it? Or maybe it was just a really ****** night for both the players and coaches on Saturday and LSU. Maybe this team has preformed poorly on the road. It's just hilarious to me that for two years everyone on this board and on social media beggggged for teams to send pressure because Rogers and the air raid would eat them up like LSU in 2020. Fast forward two years and those same people are saying the best way to beat Rogers and the air raid is to send pressure. I'm not making any excuses for that abortion Saturday night, just pointing out that most of you will parrot the anti-Leach and anti-Rogers narrative, regardless if it goes against your previous uneducated opinion.
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

The problem on 2021 is we wouldn't run the the damn ball with the 3 front and will wasn't making the right reads. He also was **** under pressure too and off a lot and started slow a lot last year.
This year he obviously has done better with reads if people play us soft up front and he calls the run but if people disguise it he goes with the pass and the end up dropping out or bring multiple blitz packages from different areas.

don't be a dumbmass

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Rogers was not seeing open receivers. I noticed multiple times he threw a check down 4-5 yards out when the next level guy was running free on a crossing route.
Rogers is limited, yes, but Ruckus' point is valid.

Rogers is just another in a long line of marginally talented players we have. He's up, he's down. If we want to take the next step, have to elevate everywhere.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It's not rocket science. We have ~7-5 talent and coaching for the SEC. We get 7-5 results on the field. Some games that looks pretty solid. Some games that looks like a Croom team. Unless we manage to consistently recruit better or hire/retain a miracle working coaching staff, don't get to fired up about results outside of that 6-6 to 8-4 range - we are getting exactly what we are paying for.

Reactions: #ShowOff

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Rogers is limited, yes, but Ruckus' point is valid.

Rogers is just another in a long line of marginally talented players we have. He's up, he's down. If we want to take the next step, have to elevate everywhere.
I wasn't deriding Rogers, just noting that for whatever reason he wasn't seeing the field this game.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It's not rocket science. We have ~7-5 talent and coaching for the SEC. We get 7-5 results on the field. Some games that looks pretty solid. Some games that looks like a Croom team. Unless we manage to consistently recruit better or hire/retain a miracle working coaching staff, don't get to fired up about results outside of that 6-6 to 8-4 range - we are getting exactly what we are paying for.
7-5 is fine if we have consistency of effort. If we've played our best and just lost to better teams, that's one thing.

This year, we are 5-2 with two losses to teams we were favored to beat. In this case, 7-5 is unacceptable when it could have easily been 9-3 if we had taken care of business.

Saying after the fact that 7-5 is what we all expected excuses poor performance. It allows/accepts mediocrity. We gotta be held to a different standard than that. Those who aren't doing it are part of the problem.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
7-5 is fine if we have consistency of effort. If we've played our best and just lost to better teams, that's one thing.

This year, we are 5-2 with two losses to teams we were favored to beat. In this case, 7-5 is unacceptable when it could have easily been 9-3 if we had taken care of business.

Saying after the fact that 7-5 is what we all expected excuses poor performance. It allows/accepts mediocrity. We gotta be held to a different standard than that. Those who aren't doing it are part of the problem.
No team has this, on average. It's not possible for 18-22 year olds. Generally as they get older it gets better, and it's obviously worse on the road. Duh.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

Did KY really bring pressure that much? What I saw is a mix of looks like LSU which confused us. But it seemed like it was mostly just bringing 4. But the 4th guy was random and it caused issues. Also they definitely disrupted us bringing 3 bc as I said before they didnt telegraph it so we didn’t check to a run. 7 rush attempts after you won two games running the ball means the other team confused us.

It’s also concerning that Rogers is a third year starter who ran this in HS and isn’t seeing the field. It concerns me way more about the offense than Rogers bc it’s not like we can just go pluck a cerebral, big arm talent in recruiting.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t remember so many batted down passes last year. I know Rogers is short, but is that just a product of our oline?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Did KY really bring pressure that much? What I saw is a mix of looks like LSU which confused us. But it seemed like it was mostly just bringing 4. But the 4th guy was random and it caused issues. Also they definitely disrupted us bringing 3 bc as I said before they didnt telegraph it so we didn’t check to a run. 7 rush attempts after you won two games running the ball means the other team confused us.

It’s also concerning that Rogers is a third year starter who ran this in HS and isn’t seeing the field. It concerns me way more about the offense than Rogers bc it’s not like we can just go pluck a cerebral, big arm talent in recruiting.
They simulated pressure a lot. They also did a lot of unconventional things with twists and stunts. This is why we had a lot of presnap penalties, and this is why Will was uncomfortable in the pocket. And when Will is uncomfortable in the pocket, he panics, which manifests itself in quick check downs, locking down on one receiver (which causes the batted balls), and throwing off his back foot.

This is why I still don't understand why A&M and Arkansas never did any of this. It's the recipe for beating us. LSU showed this.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

They mostly ran a four man front but there were several times they brought a safety or corner blitz.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is why I still don't understand why A&M and Arkansas never did any of this. It's the recipe for beating us. LSU showed this.
Do you think their coaches are stupid? Elko and Odom, widely considered two of the best DCs in the game, who have shut down Leach before, and they obviously missed something that drebin sees so clearly.

Make it make sense. Help me understand.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Do you think their coaches are stupid? Elko and Odom, widely considered two of the best DCs in the game, who have shut down Leach before, and they obviously missed something that drebin sees so clearly.

It happens. A&M had the same defensive game plan against us last year that they did this year, even though it's a different DC. That tells me that Jimbo is influencing the defensive game plan, and they thought playing soft zone and keeping everything in front of them, we would eventually stall out or make a mistake. In Arky's case, they were so depleted with injuries that they did pretty much all that they could do. And of course, they had beaten us twice before using that same defensive game plan.

Sometimes game plans work. Sometimes they don't.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Well, a few things

1) Things and personnel change over the years, and the whole drop 8 mantra was a lot more relevant in 2020 than last season. At that point, it is indisputable that Costello was entirely uncomfortable playing against a drop 8, and the offense was putrid in Leach’s first season. Maybe this defense isn’t truly air raid kryptonite, but it rendered the offense entirely ineffective in this season.

2) Last year, the two main complaints were red zone scoring and a refusal to commit to the run, and a lot of fans believed that those two things went hand in hand. Rogers had a record setting year from a passing standpoint, so maybe I’m just not remembering, but I thought the drop 8 comments mostly died halfway through last season

3) This season’s comments about bringing pressure are less about the air raid as a whole and more about Rogers individually. It’s beyond simply being uncomfortable because you can see the panic on his face any time he’s not entirely sure where pressure will be coming from, and his complete lack of mobility has reached the point for me where I just accept that a play is over the second I see him rolling. Is what it is because clearly Rogers is our guy until Leach decides he’s not, but if I’m a DC on State’s remaining schedule, I’m watching the UK tape over and over again

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

So are you suggesting better players, coaches, or both?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

Rushing attempts:

TAMU: 24
Ark: 37
KY: 7

Thats why Elko and Odom lost and Stoops won.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It happens. A&M had the same defensive game plan against us last year that they did this year, even though it's a different DC. That tells me that Jimbo is influencing the defensive game plan, and they thought playing soft zone and keeping everything in front of them, we would eventually stall out or make a mistake. In Arky's case, they were so depleted with injuries that they did pretty much all that they could do. And of course, they had beaten us twice before using that same defensive game plan.

Sometimes game plans work. Sometimes they don't.
Has he seen Jimbo call a game?

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
We (like most fanbases) deal in absolutes and it is partially because of shows like Thunder and Lightning. I listen every day but Hadad makes too many long term judgements game to game. Today was the most negative show since maybe even 2019. Are we behind leach or not? They figured out drop 8 so let’s see if they can figure out the blitzes over time.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
They simulated pressure a lot. They also did a lot of unconventional things with twists and stunts. This is why we had a lot of presnap penalties, and this is why Will was uncomfortable in the pocket. And when Will is uncomfortable in the pocket, he panics, which manifests itself in quick check downs, locking down on one receiver (which causes the batted balls), and throwing off his back foot.

Remember Will absolutely embarrassed them last year, completing practically every pass he threw. That was one of Stoops best teams, missed a 10 win regular season because of us. With Stoops being a defensive guy himself - I've got to believe he's been planning how to stop Will Rogers for the last 12 months.

But to A&M and Arkansas - we're just another team on the schedule. They've got bigger fish

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's pretty clear what I'm saying. Win games you're supposed to win.
Who said we were entitled to win an SEC game on the road against a similarly talented team? Is that some more bullsh*t that you are making up? A lot of it thrown around here this morning.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

It it ever acceptable to lose a game you were favored to win? If not, then should we ever even hope to beat a team we are favored to lose to?
There is a reason why games are played and we dont just run a bunch of simulations to declare the winner. Actual people playing the actual game actually matter.
Expecting people to be flawless and always come out on top when they are favored, which is what you are doing, is unrealistic.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It it ever acceptable to lose a game you were favored to win? If not, then should we ever even hope to beat a team we are favored to lose to?
There is a reason why games are played and we dont just run a bunch of simulations to declare the winner. Actual people playing the actual game actually matter.
Expecting people to be flawless and always come out on top when they are favored, which is what you are doing, is unrealistic.
Is it ever acceptable for your kid to bring home an F on a test?

No, it's never acceptable. That it happens sometimes doesn't mean it's acceptable. When you start accepting mediocrity, that's exactly what you'll get. I'm not really surprised that you're the one arguing this point, though.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

No, it's never acceptable. That it happens sometimes doesn't mean it's acceptable. When you start accepting mediocrity, that's exactly what you'll get. I'm not really surprised that you're the one arguing this point, though.
Nobody here is accepting it, talking about moving the goalposts, look in the mirror. We simply do not want to fire the coach and burn the program down because of it. We understand it. We don't have to vent like a 12-year old.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

How are you demanding accountability in this situation? It's either on the players, coaches, or both. You and I saying that it's not acceptable (it's not) doesn't really change anything unless players and coaches have a healthy fear for their playing time and paychecks.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Nobody here is accepting it, talking about moving the goalposts, look in the mirror. We simply do not want to fire the coach and burn the program down because of it. We understand it. We don't have to vent like a 12-year old.
I haven't suggesting firing the coach either. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login