Over 50% of Americans are supplementing their income with a side hustle

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Good times!
I sort of did this my entire working life. From the time I got married the first time at 21... until I had to retire for health reasons I was working two jobs and sometimes three. My mother worked two jobs herself until one of them got shipped to Mexico with NAFTA. Thanks, Mr. Carter. She is in her late 80s and still does 40 hours a week and her own lawn. Her doctor told her that was great because it gave her a good cardio work out once every week.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I sort of did this my entire working life. From the time I got married the first time at 21... until I had to retire for health reasons I was working two jobs and sometimes three. My mother worked two jobs herself until one of them got shipped to Mexico with NAFTA. Thanks, Mr. Carter. She is in her late 80s and still does 40 hours a week and her own lawn. Her doctor told her that was great because it gave her a good cardio work out once every week.
Umm NAFTA was in 94 under Clinton.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

Good times!
my side hustle is i fooled around and got myself elected a county Supervisor this past year. in addition to still running my IT company. didn't like the way they were spending my money. so instead of complaining about it, i ran for the office, beat a 12 year incumbent, getting 68% of the vote. we flipped the majority to a republican majority for the first time in 25 years. it's been....interesting

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I got laid off earlier this month and can't even find a side hustle right now...

disgusted married with children GIF

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My side hustle allowed me to retire at 55.

Some folks who work for my former employer have set up side hustles for themselves to build up clientele for post-retirement jobs.

I went the PERS retirement route earlier than expected to work for a non-public entity and friends who are real close to being eligible for state retirement have asked me about my experiences.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Can we quit calling it a side hustle? 17 me with the way we use millennial/gen z jargon... Here's some more appropriate terminology:

A school teacher that mows lawns for his brother in law in the summer has a summer job.

A school teacher who tends bar 1-2 times a week for 4-8 hours a week most of the year has a part time job.

A school teacher that drives an Uber has a part time job.

A school teacher that manages the night shift at the grocery store 30+ hours a week has a 2nd job.

A school teacher that owns and operates a pressure washing business owns a seasonal small business.

A school teacher that pimps hookers, sells blow, or runs an illegal poker game has a side hustle.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I would be curious what the main source of income is and what sector the side hustle is in for these people. Is this a fireman whose cutting grass on their days off or a teacher who sells things on Etsy.

Some of the "side hustles" my friends have mentioned to me seem more like hobbies than entrepreneurial endeavors.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I was very fortunate. My side hustle turned into something I never imagined. One of those right place, right time situations I finally decided to quit my day job and devote full time to the side hustle and Covid hit. That totally changed things. I had an offer to buy on the table for a couple of years so I reevaluated and sold out. Don’t regret it one bit.

Reactions: dorndawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Can we quit calling it a side hustle? 17 me with the way we use millennial/gen z jargon... Here's some more appropriate terminology:

A school teacher that mows lawns for his brother in law in the summer has a summer job.

A school teacher who tends bar 1-2 times a week for 4-8 hours a week most of the year has a part time job.

A school teacher that drives an Uber has a part time job.

A school teacher that manages the night shift at the grocery store 30+ hours a week has a 2nd job.

A school teacher that owns and operates a pressure washing business owns a seasonal small business.

A school teacher that pimps hookers, sells blow, or runs an illegal poker game has a side hustle.
30 additional hours isn't a second job, it's avoiding family

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I would be curious what the main source of income is and what sector the side hustle is in for these people. Is this a fireman whose cutting grass on their days off or a teacher who sells things on Etsy.

Some of the "side hustles" my friends have mentioned to me seem more like hobbies than entrepreneurial endeavors.
Bingo. I bet a bunch of the people who responded were folks who are trying to start a business. They are may or may not be making any money.

When I think of side jobs I think of things that pay you for your time.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I've got a few but none make me enough money. Was investing in some stuff but got out of that. Work on a handful of cars a month now and take boudoir photos of women for their side hustles and lesbian lovers.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I always encourage people to start LLC’s for their hobbies. There’s real tax incentives, and you’re already spending the $.

Let’s say you love gardening. It’s not that hard track your expenses. All of your revenue can come from the local farmers market.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
my side hustle is i fooled around and got myself elected a county Supervisor this past year. in addition to still running my IT company. didn't like the way they were spending my money. so instead of complaining about it, i ran for the office, beat a 12 year incumbent, getting 68% of the vote. we flipped the majority to a republican majority for the first time in 25 years. it's been....interesting

Well, you've got two titillating...er...assets. No wonder you won and you should've run for office sooner.

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Instead of side hustles, why don’t you work 70h per week with your primary job
Living that salary life man. 30/70 hours a week, same pay.

Sort of related I asked my wife if she had any fried that supplemented income with side jobs. She said her PT friend went to part time because of the money she was making selling Roden and Fields. To me you are not supplementing your income if you are purposely reducing your hours because of other income you are earning.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Interesting world we live in these days. 50 percent work two or more jobs either because they need too, or are just go getters and want to make more money. Good for them. The other 50 percent just want to sit on their rear and whine. In years gone by, everyone was in the first category and no one was in the second category. That was just life and no one thought anything about it.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I wonder how many “side hustles” my grandfather worked.

Let’s see… the cotton.. the cows.. the pigs.. the vegetables he sold to grocery stores and in town.. the eggs that were $0.10/dozen. Oh, and in his spare time he managed a factory that made socks.

Yeah.. grandad was a hustlin m17er.

People out here acting like multiple jobs is the new scourge of the 21st century….

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I always encourage people to start LLC’s for their hobbies. There’s real tax incentives, and you’re already spending the $.

Let’s say you love gardening. It’s not that hard track your expenses. All of your revenue can come from the local farmers market.
BINGO! I'm about to do it myself.

HulksStache

Mar 4, 2013
What side hustles do yall partake in? I keep talking myself in and out of doing rental real estate.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Turning a hobby into a job is a perfectly good way to ruin a hobby. Trust me, I did it.
It’s a lot better to turn your job into a hobby. **

I kid a little but state retirement and being paid by a private organization to perform duties similar to what I’d done at my previous employer is a nice reboot.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Can we quit calling it a side hustle? 17 me with the way we use millennial/gen z jargon...

Its just a part time job or a second job.

In 2023 I technically held 2 part time jobs and never considered them part time jobs until someone pointed it out. I was like '17, when did that happen?' and realized I definitely had part time jobs.
I think I hadnt viewed them as such because I wasnt working them in order to pay bills or basic necessities. But regardless of motivation, I definitely had 2 part time jobs last year and have 1 part time job right now.

If I ever call my part time job a 'side hustle', I am confident my wife will kick me in the nuts and make me move out of the house.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Interesting world we live in these days. 50 percent work two or more jobs either because they need too, or are just go getters and want to make more money. Good for them. The other 50 percent just want to sit on their rear and whine. In years gone by, everyone was in the first category and no one was in the second category. That was just life and no one thought anything about it.
What the 17 world are you describing or remembering? This post is just BS babble.

- there are people in the 50% working more than one job that whine.
- there are people in the 50% not working more than one job that dont whine.
- in 'years gone by', there were people in the second category.

3 strikes- go walk back to the bench.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Here's some trended stats to ponder on if you want

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login