Palestinian memorial approved…

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
…for display covering the entire HUB lawn….Yet, in in 2016 when Franco led an effort to assemble a memorial outside Beaver Stadium (September 17, 2016) to recognize 50 years of Success with Honor the university removed the memorial right after kickoff.

Just no words to express the feelings….
Got to get your priorities straight, huh?

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Reactions: step.eng69

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
Would that apply to people who want a memorial to commemorate Hitler/Nazi Germany? Or people who want a display of confederate flags?

The fact that the law doesn't prohibit it doesn't mean you should do it. Some things you just stay away from. JMO.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Would that apply to people who want a memorial to commemorate Hitler/Nazi Germany? Or people who want a display of confederate flags?

The fact that the law doesn't prohibit it doesn't mean you should do it. Some things you just stay away from. JMO.
yes- but I do agree with you

Reactions: step.eng69

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Shocking development:

At least PSU gets to take the moral high ground. 😞

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
…for display covering the entire HUB lawn….Yet, in in 2016 when Franco led an effort to assemble a memorial outside Beaver Stadium (September 17, 2016) to recognize 50 years of Success with Honor the university removed the memorial right after kickoff.

Is it that a memorial was approved, or is it the subject of the memorial that bothers you? Or both? I recall Franco's efforts and was sad to see the university respond the way it did. Having said that, was the Joe memorial 'approved' in any capacity? Or was it more organic? My guess is it was never put through proper channels because the obvious response from PSU would have been a loud 'NO,'.

Sharkies

Nov 1, 2021
Is it that a memorial was approved, or is it the subject of the memorial that bothers you? Or both? I recall Franco's efforts and was sad to see the university respond the way it did. Having said that, was the Joe memorial 'approved' in any capacity? Or was it more organic? My guess is it was never put through proper channels because the obvious response from PSU would have been a loud 'NO,'.
Isn't this part of his point? Administration approved this but would never for something as impactful as what Joe did for this University

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Isn't this part of his point? Administration approved this but would never for something as impactful as what Joe did for this University

I don't know; my question was did Franco seek/get approval, or did they just put it up? Seems like PSU taking it down after one day suggests it was not approved (and I don't agree with that at all).

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
Imagine it is 1943 and Penn State says the following:

"We have the deepest empathy for all in our community who are experiencing pain over the complex tragedy unfolding in Europe and the Pacific."

Achowalogan

Oct 12, 2021
I don't know; my question was did Franco seek/get approval, or did they just put it up? Seems like PSU taking it down after one day suggests it was not approved (and I don't agree with that at all).
Wasn’t taken down after 1 day, was taken down immediately after people left the area and went into the stadium.

I am particularly disturbed that a small (area) acknowledgement of 50 years of exemplary service to our university was not acceptable (permission or not) while 18,000 plus flags covering acres of HUB lawn for a political statement (so large that the entire HUB lawn was rendered unusable by the student body) was approved and supported. The HUB lawn serves the entire student body as a gathering place for a variety of activity.

Regarding free speech, the Palestinian memorial could have received approval for a 10’ by 10’ space at Barron’s Arboretum …

Barron told us the Palmer Museum needed relocated to the Arboretum to accommodate the 100,000’s of visitors, seems like this would be a high visibility location.

Last edited:

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

It's college kids, it's what they/we do/did. I'm sure our parents weren't happy with some of us carrying coffins down College Ave. to protest the Vietnam war. (full disclosure I was too young but my sister who was there at the time told me about it.) But I do remember participating in the Anti-Apartheid movement. I guess some probably had issues with that as well.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
It's college kids, it's what they/we do/did. I'm sure our parents weren't happy with some of us carrying coffins down College Ave. to protest the Vietnam war. (full disclosure I was too young but my sister who was there at the time told me about it.) But I do remember participating in the Anti-Apartheid movement. I guess some probably had issues with that as well.
@bbrown, were you in the Shantytown with me? The university divested in S. Africa after we left so we'll take the win.

Reactions: bbrown
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login