Penn State at 9. Illinois at 19.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
this feels like one of those games where a lot of people are saying "Penn State better be careful around this tough Illinois team, Bielema is scheming something up" and then we beat them by 21 points and a bunch of people ( not necessarily the same ones) claim that Illinois was never that good anyway
Let’s stay consistent Illinois is not a big boy. We’re in the big boy business that’s always been the argument. Kent/Rutgers/bowling green, they matter zero

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Sad how many threads are littered with completely irrelevant and unnecessary cheap shots at fellow posters. I refer, of course, to the self-congratulatory BWICAC references and the calling out of nobody in particular for being hypothetically unhappy about PSU and/or Franklin where no such displeasure has been expressed. Please continue to toot your behind-the-keyboard “superior fan” horns because it apparently boosts your self esteem. 🙄
Apparently, you're fine with posters who never miss a chance to take a shot at CJF, even when he's not part of the topic under discussion. Maybe that should also make you sad.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Let’s stay consistent Illinois is not a big boy. We’re in the big boy business that’s always been the argument. Kent/Rutgers/bowling green, they matter zero
I don't think this is much of a discussion if we have all our players. we are down several key players and some who seem to be playing hurt. The ONLY reason that Ilinois won the game in 2021 was we had several key injuries including no QB. Clifford playing hurt was a disaster.

We have some high potential backups who don't have much experience.

full strength both sides we kill them.

Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I don't think this is much of a discussion if we have all our players. we are down several key players and some who seem to be playing hurt. The ONLY reason that Ilinois won the game in 2021 was we had several key injuries including no QB. Clifford playing hurt was a disaster.

We have some high potential backups who don't have much experience.

full strength both sides we kill them.
The main takeaway I take from that disaster game is Bielma lining up in goal line offense from everywhere on the field and running the ball down our throat. Pry seemed reluctant or slow to change anything and it was painful to watch.

Reactions: FTLPSU

Nittering Nabob

Sep 17, 2024
I'm admittedly not a sports wagerer, thus I don't understand the generous number of points (17 - 18) the bookies are affording PSU.

I think Illinois is a very difficult opponent for PSU and could very well win the game outright. Beilima has already demonstrated that he knows how to kick Franklin's arse to the curb with lesser talent. While the "White Out" can be intimidating, Illinois has shown that they can play well in a hostile environment at night.

PSU Offense vs Illinois Defense
Illinois has a large D-line and doesn't hesitate to play 5 - 7 men at or near the line of scrimmage daring the opponent to run the ball while relying on 5 - 7 defensive backs, who are aggressive and physical, to defend the pass. Nebraska struggled with this look as did Kansas. By the time the 4th quarter rolled around, Illinois D-line was dominating the LOS and their D-backs, especially #14, were ball hawks.

PSU's OL has been relatively good in pass protection but hasn't demonstrated an ability to consistently open up running lanes, especially between the tackles.

Illinois Offense vs PSU Defense
Illinois' offensive line, in true Beilima fashion, is huge and semi-mobile. Sure they grab and hold, but if unflagged they can certainly open holes for their RB's and give their QB ample time for quick short throws without fear of getting sacked. We all know PSU's D-Line is again woefully undersized this season to effectively compete in the expanded B1G. By the 4th quarter, Illinois should be able to run and pass the ball at will as they did against the Jayhawks and Huskers.

Tell me why I shouldn't bet the majority of my life estate for Illinois to cover a 17.5 point deficit and the residual of my life estate for them to win outright?

What am I not understanding?
🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Potter

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I'm admittedly not a sports wagerer, thus I don't understand the generous number of points (17 - 18) the bookies are affording PSU.
Tell me why I shouldn't bet the majority of my life estate for Illinois to cover an 17.5 point deficit and the residual life estate for them to win outright?
See your first comment (unless you want to bet your life savings on a coin flip). Many that that do make a living at this have the line as pretty spot on. From what I’ve seen, it seems that some are overrating the Illinois performance to date this season.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Advanced stat comparison from collegefootballdata.com. Numbers are national ranking. The redder the better. More yellow, not so good.
Strength of schedule shown - pretty similar.

1727155028192.png

Reactions: Calabrin

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Illinois isn't very good. Better than last year - largely due to improved QB play - but still not very good.
Meanwhile, PSU is viewed as being a top-12 caliber team.
That is a pretty big gap.
I think it is that simple.

Credit to them for beating Nebraska in Lincoln, but Nebraska is no world-beater themselves - and played a rather poor game (IMO). Matt Ruhle, FWIW, has probably been one of the lower-end coaches in the nation wrt game management decisions (Though I think he may eventually put together a pretty successful team in Lincoln). But last week he once again lent his game management to the cause of helping Nebraska pull defeat from the jaws of victory. One of the reasons Nebraska has struggled so much in close games.

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
Imagine this board without anti-Franklin, pro-JoePa, anti-BoD, anti-criticism-of-coaches agendas.

It’d just be old men oogling booby pictures they could find via a quick google search.
I knew there was something wrong with this thread. Where are the booby pictures??? Just bought new bifocals and wanted to see how much better booby pictures look with them on!!! :p

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
I'd love to know where the source of confidence that some have is coming from. PSU'S best win is vs a team that lost to Pitt. While I think PSU should ba a solid favorite I see this as a hard fought contest. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Bottom line, you aren't a playoff team because the experts say so.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Illinois isn't very good. Better than last year - largely due to improved QB play - but still not very good.
Meanwhile, PSU is viewed as being a top-12 caliber team.
That is a pretty big gap.
I think it is that simple.

Credit to them for beating Nebraska in Lincoln, but Nebraska is no world-beater themselves - and played a rather poor game (IMO). Matt Ruhle, FWIW, has probably been one of the lower-end coaches in the nation wrt game management decisions (Though I think he may eventually put together a pretty successful team in Lincoln). But last week he once again lent his game management to the cause of helping Nebraska pull defeat from the jaws of victory. One of the reasons Nebraska has struggled so much in close games.

Penn State has been very strong against the spread until it's three losses last year; but, IMO, I don't take anything for granted anymore. Penn State has lost to teams it is better than (on paper) in the past.

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021

I think Illinois is a very difficult opponent for PSU and could very well win the game outright. Beilima has already demonstrated that he knows how to kick Franklin's arse to the curb with lesser talent. While the "White Out" can be intimidating, Illinois has shown that they can play well in a hostile environment at night.

Illinois has a large D-line and doesn't hesitate to play 5 - 7 men at or near the line of scrimmage daring the opponent to run the ball while relying on 5 - 7 defensive backs, who are aggressive and physical, to defend the pass. Nebraska struggled with this look as did Kansas. By the time the 4th quarter rolled around, Illinois D-line was dominating the LOS and their D-backs, especially #14, were ball hawks.

PSU's OL has been relatively good in pass protection but hasn't demonstrated an ability to consistently open up running lanes, especially between the tackles.

Illinois' offensive line, in true Beilima fashion, is huge and semi-mobile. Sure they grab and hold, but if unflagged they can certainly open holes for their RB's and give their QB ample time for quick short throws without fear of getting sacked. We all know PSU's D-Line is again woefully undersized this season to effectively compete in the expanded B1G. By the 4th quarter, Illinois should be able to run and pass the ball at will as they did against the Jayhawks and Huskers.

Tell me why I shouldn't bet the majority of my life estate for Illinois to cover a 17.5 point deficit and the residual of my life estate for them to win outright?

🤷‍♀️

Mr. Potter

Oct 18, 2021

🤷‍♀️

I agree:

Illinois has always played us tough and been a thorn on the side. Brett Bielma game plans well against the Penn State.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
I agree:

Illinois has always played us tough and been a thorn on the side. Brett Bielma game plans well against the Penn State.
Not sure I agree with always. A few times, yes.
Illinois Bielema did a nice job in 2021 when our starting QB played injured and not so much last year. Wisky Bielema was 1-3 (removing the post Sandusky 2011 game) with 2 PSU blow outs.

1727208198784.png

Reactions: PSUFBFAN

Pittston-Lion

Nov 2, 2021
I'd love to know where the source of confidence that some have is coming from. PSU'S best win is vs a team that lost to Pitt. While I think PSU should ba a solid favorite I see this as a hard fought contest. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Bottom line, you aren't a playoff team because the experts say so.
If you want to play the transitive property game a pick six was the difference in their game against Kansas at home (who lost to WVU). We beat WVU by more than 20 on the road.

Reactions: Marshall2323

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
But not by tooooo much, easy there!

Be ready to take a knee at the right time too ;)
The only place Bielema should get a knee is to his nuts.

Reactions: CVLion and BobPSU92

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
If you want to play the transitive property game a pick six was the difference in their game against Kansas at home (who lost to WVU). We beat WVU by more than 20 on the road.

Yeah, the pick six was on an attempted screen pass by KU deep in their own territory seconds before the half ended. Ouch ouch ouch!

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I'm coming up for the game, hope to be tailgating in Lot 34.

Anyone know if dogs are allowed in Lot 34 the day of the game (for tailgating)?

Reactions: FTLPSU

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
this feels like one of those games where a lot of people are saying "Penn State better be careful around this tough Illinois team, Bielema is scheming something up" and then we beat them by 21 points and a bunch of people ( not necessarily the same ones) claim that Illinois was never that good anyway
Inglourious Basterds Bingo GIF

CVLion

Oct 13, 2021
The only place Bielema should get a knee is to his nuts.

I’m with you on that!

Sometime back, I took to calling him “Coach Bag-of-sh*t-ema.”

I know that doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue (ew) but at the same time I feel it has the perfect ring to it, and I’m sticking with it.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login