Perception becomes reality in people's mind

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Alabama has 12, Ole Miss 9 and we have 5 in the portal. But if you read our board you would think that we had 20. Leach is doing a good job of holding the team together so everyone needs to calm down.

AFA players that are leaving why demonize them???? They gave us years of enjoyment watching them represent the Marooon and White. I would not have watched several Syracuse games this year if Shrader hadn't played for them. I don't wish him or any player that donned our colors any ill will. DJ vented on twitter. So what, that's between him and Leach so good luck DJ! I hope you land on your feet somewhere and finish your college career with a flourish as long as you aren't playing us. Let's go win the Outback Steakhouse Bowl!

patdog

May 28, 2007
Alabama has 12, Ole Miss 9 and we have 5 in the portal. But if you read our board you would think that we had 20. Leach is doing a good job of holding the team together so everyone needs to calm down.

AFA players that are leaving why demonize them???? They gave us years of enjoyment watching them represent the Marooon and White. I would not have watched several Syracuse games this year if Shrader hadn't played for them. I don't wish him or any player that donned our colors any ill will. DJ vented on twitter. So what, that's between him and Leach so good luck DJ! I hope you land on your feet somewhere and finish your college career with a flourish as long as you aren't playing us. Let's go win the Outback Steakhouse Bowl!
How many starters do Alabama and Mississippi have in the portal? BTW, we have at least 10 players in the portal.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How many starters do Alabama and Mississippi have in the portal? BTW, we have at least 10 players in the portal.
Don't know but they are rated pretty highly. Sounds like a good starting point for us. Bama has 14 and Ole Miss 15, so still more than us.

aTm rolling in with 22. Holy hell at the 4 and 5 stars.

Reactions: onewoof

patdog

May 28, 2007
And that's the way it's gonna be for the foreseeable future. We'll be exchanging starters for the big boys' second teamers. In some cases we lose but in some cases we'll gain.
There's going to be a lot more losing than gaining. You can forget the days where a Dak Prescott, Chris Jones, or an Emmanuel Forbes play their full college career at Mississippi State. From now on, we'll have them for 1 or maybe 2 years before one of the elites snaps them up. But we'll get to pick up a Scott Lashley here or there.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We'll keep several of the key players because we can afford to. We can't keep 44 players bankrolled like others can (Saban)

And even Saban can't pay them all enough to ride the bench happily. Apparently Georgia has it figured out though

Last edited:
Reactions: AFDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There's going to be a lot more losing than gaining. You can forget the days where a Dak Prescott, Chris Jones, or an Emmanuel Forbes play their full college career at Mississippi State. From now on, we'll have them for 1 or maybe 2 years before one of the elites snaps them up. But we'll get to pick up a Scott Lashley here or there.
This is just you being intentionally negative. The talent gap is essentially not there.

We will likely keep the Dak's, Jones and Forbes. The latter are from MS. Dak has character, as he showed by coming back his senior year.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
One of the ironies of this debacle is that coaches who can navigate these waters will probably make more money than ever.

Reactions: patdog

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I disagree. I think with a good coaching staff --- which we currently have --- there will be a lot more winning than we've had in the past.
The elites will not be able to stockpile players like they have in the past -- They might have the money, but they are not going to pay the back ups top dollar to keep them on the bench. And if those guys are willing to ride the pine for money, who would want them anyway?
It's going to be okay fellas --- or it's not going to get any worse for us.
The real issue is going to be fan fatigue. The costs of doing business is definitely going to go through the roof. And that cost is going to fall directly on the fans. The system may very well implode if audiences begin to fall off.
BUT WE LOVE THIS ****!

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I disagree. I think with a good coaching staff --- which we currently have --- there will be a lot more winning than we've had in the past.
The elites will not be able to stockpile players like they have in the past -- They might have the money, but they are not going to pay the back ups top dollar to keep them on the bench. And if those guys are willing to ride the pine for money, who would want them anyway?
It's going to be okay fellas --- or it's not going to get any worse for us.
The real issue is going to be fan fatigue. The costs of doing business is definitely going to go through the roof. And that cost is going to fall directly on the fans. The system may very well implode if audiences begin to fall off.
BUT WE LOVE THIS ****!
Couple that with the fact that a player can go to the NFL from Mississippi State just like they can at the big programs. If a player is really trying to make it to the NFL their chances are better here than riding the bench at UGA, Alabama, Ohio State ad nauseum.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

That's like saying Will Rogers is a great QB because he has a high completion percentage.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That's like saying Will Rogers is a great QB because he has a high completion percentage.
Isn't it funny that we've had the best running QB and now the best passing QB we've ever had?

But he lost to Georgia, Bama, LSU and Kentucky so he's not great.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Now DJ says he's going to spill the whole story on Instagram at 1pm... Not going to be between him and Leach for long.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
we have 5 in the portal
I thought it was way more. Here's who I've seen announced as entering (regardless of whether or not their name is actually there yet):

- RaRa
- DJ
- Greek
- Ketravion Hargrove
- JJ Jernighan
- Scoobie Ford
- Reed Buys
- Archer Trafford

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
And that's the way it's gonna be for the foreseeable future. We'll be exchanging starters for the big boys' second teamers. In some cases we lose but in some cases we'll gain.
I've seen us put a lot of offers out there for a lot of directional school kids to replace ours. Not exactly going for the blue chip 4 and 5 star guys, I just don't think in this day and age we will trade up very often. It would be great if we could trade RARa for a 4 star or 5 star from TAMU but the likely good of us getting those guys is low. Likely we trade for a guy at eastern Michigan or something. Might turn out but might develop that guy snd he leaves the next season for an auburn or Georgia

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
So, we now have a long snapper transferring out (Rex Robich)? Are schools offering NIL$ for long snappers now or is he just not happy here?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I thought it was way more. Here's who I've seen announced as entering (regardless of whether or not their name is actually there yet):

- RaRa
- DJ
- Greek
- Ketravion Hargrove
- JJ Jernighan
- Scoobie Ford
- Reed Buys
- Archer Trafford
They said 5 on the radio this AM. I'm sure other teams are seeing their numbers go up daily too.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
They said 5 on the radio this AM. I'm sure other teams are seeing their numbers go up daily too.
Maybe 5 that have actually played at least one snap. I hate to lose DJ and RaRa - and realize we could lose more, but it's being blown a bit out of proportion.

Reactions: wdawg44

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
as crazy as this portal dynamic is lately, you just got millions of impressions of "Mike Leach / Mississippi State" out into the minds of people for free. Even though DJ had a negative slant to it, it just bought us some great brand awareness.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I'm not demonizing anyone, but when one of our players happens to say something detrimental to our coach in their goodbye Tweet (for no reason other than to have a snarky shot on the way out the door) I will say something as well. I'm just really sorry that my last memory of a player who did so well for us was that tweet but that's all I will ever think about when I see him from now on.

Other than that, I agree about everything else you're saying in the post we need to calm down we're gonna go through this every year. Who knows Santa might come earlier this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login